Five-goal Ryburn close on leaders

Borhan Doski for Brighouse Sports against Shelf FC in the Invitation Cup
Borhan Doski for Brighouse Sports against Shelf FC in the Invitation Cup

Ryburn United are again breathing down the necks of leaders Greetland in the Premier Division of the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL.

Ryburn were handsome 5-1 winners away to Calder ‘76 in one of only two games to go ahead in the Premier Division on Saturday after the previous week’s deluge.

The visitors had Frazer Cumming and Matt Lamb back in the centre of defence and that pair were excellent but it was winger Alex Coburn who caused early problems for Calder.

It was his cross which led to James Megson putting through his own goal and then Coburn’s corner to the near post was converted by Si Carter for 2-0 on 15 minutes.

When Christian Silkstone made it 3-0, after missing a couple of earlier chances, Ryburn were cruising with a 3-0 interval lead.

Calder were far from finished, however, and after bolstering their midfield had a good 20 minutes at the start of the second half.

The impressive Jonny Gibson pulled a goal back after lifting the ball over ‘keeper Ash Rayner and would have made it 3-2 had he not lost his footing a yard out and put the ball wide.

That proved a turning point and Ryburn regained the upper hand, powering clear with two late goals from Silkstone.

Midgley United won 3-2 away to King Cross Warley to increase the gap between themselves and their fifth-placed hosts to seven points.

In a match switched to Warley, Tom Hiley scored the only goal of the first half for the hosts when visiting keeper Steve Butterworth was unable to hold a shot.

Teenage substitute Callum Wheelwright made a quick impact, producing a smart finish from a through ball, but Warley regained the lead through Jonny Burston’s penalty after Sam Sharkey unluckily handled.

Wheelwright made it 2-2 after a James Adey effort had come back off the woodwork and Midgley hit the front after 75 minutes through Calum Rodgers’ looping shot from the left which took a slight deflection and went over the home ‘keeper.

Both sides finished with 10 men, Wheelwright being red carded for reacting to a challenge and Warley having a fullback dismissed five minutes later.

The top of the table game in Division One finished 3-3 with Salem scoring an equaliser deep into stoppage time away to leaders Northowram.

The first half, with the Rams playing up the slope, was an extremely scrappy affair.

The only incidents of note in the opening 30 minutes was Lee Worrall firing over from a good position for Salem whilst at the other end Chris Dunne, sent clear by Chris Conroy, failed to convert a one-on-one.

Archie Griffiths, who had a fine game, kicked off the line after Worrall had rounded ‘keeper James Bunn and a minute later a defensive slip let in Conroy for the opening goal.

Salem drew level seven minutes from half-time when a high ball was allowed to bounce and shambolic defending allowed Liam Huson to hammer home the equaliser.

The second half was as eventful as the first was sterile once Adam Gaze had put the visitors ahead after 55 minutes.

Three minutes later Griffiths picked out substitute Mark Eade and he beat the onrushing Ben Huson to the ball and flicked over the ‘keeper to level matters.

With both sides striving for the winner, the game opened out. Bunn was smartly out of his goal to block Huson’s effort. The Rams then swept downfield and although Conroy was fouled as he took the ball round Huson, referee Wayne Cotton played a good advantage which allowed Dunne to side-foot the Rams in front.

Conroy (twice) and Eade were denied by excellent saves from Huson and Worrall’s chip floated narrowly wide with Bunn out of his goal.

Conroy missed two golden chances and then he and Paul Glew got in each other’s way from Eade’s cross.

Salem made the home side pay when Tom Neville got the final touch following an almighty goalmouth scramble.

Shelf United won 2-0 away to Wadsworth United and can now catch the Rams if they win their four games in hand.

A scrappy contest at Hebden Bridge was 0-0 at half time.

Shelf, who had missed a couple of one-on-ones, made the breakthrough after an hour through man of the match Danny Thornton’s header from a corner.

Joe Griffin made the points safe with 15 minutes to go after being played through by Jonny Lister.

High-scoring draw specialists Denholme United maintained the trend with a 4-4 result at Stainland United.

Stainland romped into a 2-0 lead following balls over the top of the Denholme defence but Matty Waring replied when he fired into the top corner.

Stainland were reduced to 10 men after a two-footed tackle and Michael Midgley beat the offside trap to make it 2-2 at half time.

Paul Armitage gave Denholme the lead from the edge of the box but Stainland scrambled their third and then long-serving Karl Jowett looked to have won it for the hosts with a fine goal.

However, with a minute to go Danny Moralee smashed the ball home for Denholme from the edge of the area.

It was stalemate in the contest between Ryburn United Reserves and Halifax Irish Centre with Ash Shaw on target for Ryburn and Paul Whiteley for Irish.

Bottom club Greetland Reserves boosted their hopes of staying up with a 3-2 win away to Volunteer Arms.

Playing into the sun, they fell behind to a header from a corner but Dave Woffenden equalised when his excellent corner was deflected in.

Volunteer regain the lead on the stroke of half time with a close range header from a set piece.

Greetland made it 2-2 through Woffenden’s unstoppable shot after a great passing moving involving Andy Hurcombe, Gary Taylor and Mark Woods.

Volunteer were twice denied by fine saves from Danny Brooks’ but Greetland, with substitute Max Lister causing their hosts problems, got a last minute winner.

Dave Walker, Daz Ward and Nathan Wallace combined to send Woffenden away and his cross to the back post found Lister, who scored from six yards.

The only game to go ahead in Division Two produced a shock result with Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves 2-0 home winners over promotion contenders Mixenden United.

The difference between the sides was William Chadwick’s effort and an own goal.

Back-to-back wins are collector’s items for Salem Reserves, who followed up success against St Columbas with a 3-2 home win over Savile Arms in the only game of the day in Division Three.

A low sun made life difficult for Salem’s defenders in the first half, in which the hosts played the better football.

Salem took the lead when Dan Manley sent over an inswinging corner which visiting keeper Rick Miller could only help into the net.

Jake Bradbury lobbed an equaliser immediately after the break but Salem regained the lead when a move involving Kallum Burnside, Dave Holcroft and Martin Jenkins was finished off by a crisp strike from youngster Dan Waddington.

Savile drew level again on the hour mark when Scott Miller danced through Salem’s defence before rounding Steve Hawksworth for a superb goal.

Savile were on top at this stage but Richard Boyle ghosted into the box to meet a free kick and head the winner.

Spring Hall Celtic and Shelf FC both won away in the Invitation Cup third round.

Shelf beat Division Three title rivals Brighouse Sports 1-0 away while goal machine Terriq Pervez was one of the scorers in Celtic’s 2-0 win away to West Central.

Shelf will play Ryburn United Reserves in the semi-finals while Spring Hall will meet Savile Arms.