Foster header salvages point for Allstars

Connor Dirkin for Brighouse Sports and Zameer Asif for West Central.
Connor Dirkin for Brighouse Sports and Zameer Asif for West Central.

Elland Allstars missed a chance to go second in Division One of the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL on Saturday when they were held 1-1 away to Halifax Irish Centre.

The West Vale game was among six out 14 to go ahead in the league with the Halifax FA Saturday Cup game between Brighouse Town and Ryburn United another casualty of the wet weather.

Allstars had much of the play but were thwarted by an inspired home ‘keeper, who was finally beaten by Gavin Foster’s late header from a corner.

The improved Irish, now four points clear of the relegation zone, had taken the lead on the hour when Shane Whitaker powered past two defenders to score.

However, the visitors generally had the better of things with central midfielder Adam Yearsley, centre backs Chris Haigh and Tom Chappell and striker Ash Smith in good form.

Irish’s draw was bad news for Wadsworth United, whose poor run continued with a 4-2 home defeat at the hands of Volunteer Arms.

Manager Steve Parker, who is approaching his 40th birthday, again had to don his boots for the home side, who went 2-0 up after an uneventful first half hour.

Mike McKelvey ran on to a ball through the middle and shot into the bottom corner for the first.

Kieran Sim then made it 2-0 after 35 minutes with a free-kick through the wall.

However, Volunteer got a foothold in the game with a bizarre goal just before half time.

The ball appeared to have gone dead before a Volunteer player knocked it across the goal.

Keeper Matt Senior fumbled the ball over the line before putting it down ready to take a goal kick, only for the referee to award a goal.

Volunteer got on terms with a fine shot into the top corner on 55 minutes before getting another helping hand for their third goal.

A shot which Senior appeared to have covered stuck abruptly in the mud close to the penalty spot and a visiting player nipped in to score.

A good finish five minutes later completed Volunteer’s comeback although Wadsworth missed late chances to bridge the gap.

Spring Hall Celtic were the only ones of the “big three” in Division Two to play and they closed the gap on AFC Crossleys and Mixenden United with a 6-2 home win over Hebden Royd Red Star.

It wasn’t quite as easy as the scoreline suggests with Red Star staying in the hunt until the closing stages.

Red Star were given every encouragement on Savile Park when a dreadful mix-up between defender and ‘keeper presented them with an early goal.

Khurram Shazad cut in from the right and fired in an equaliser after 15 minutes and Irfan Afzal put Celtic 2-1 up at the break. Shazad also hit the bar.

Celtic missed chances to put the game to bed but the league’s top scorer, Terriq Pervez, made it 3-1 after Star failed to clear on 70 minutes.

The visitors were not finished and got their second from a corner but the home side powered clear in the closing stages through Shazad and then two more from Pervez, with his hat-trick goal the best of the game.

The three scheduled matches in Division Three all went ahead and leading pair Brighouse Sports and Shelf FC won again.

Gary West’s Brighouse had a handsome 5-1 home success against West Central with three more goals from Chris Allen.

Steve Dunwell and Harry Talbot got the goals for Shelf as they struggled past win-less Salem Reserves 2-1 away.

Savile Arms went above West Central into third after a 4-1 success away to St Columbas.