Graham hat-trick for rampant Carrington

Football - Top Club (green) v Old Pond. Dan McCloud for Top Club and Richard Dawson for Old Pond
Football - Top Club (green) v Old Pond. Dan McCloud for Top Club and Richard Dawson for Old Pond

Carrington were emphatic winners in the battle of last season’s top two in the Halifax Sunday League, winning 7-1 against Hollins Holme at Calder Holmes Park.

Injury-hit Hollins found themselves a goal behind early on when good work from Damien Randall and Jay Carney forced an own goal.

Both sides battled for possession in a scrappy and fairly even first half.

The home side created a couple of decent chances to level it up but found themselves further behind just before the break when Carney turned his marker and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way.

Carrington started the second half brightly and quickly extended their lead with two great goals.

Randall sent a half-volley into the roof of the net and then Robbie Graham hit a screamer into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

The visitors were now in firm control and Graham tuned home a cross at the far post for his second before Chris Ellerby finished off a good move.

Graham sealed his hat-trick in fine style, beating a defender in the area before sliding the ball home.

Hollins managed a late consolation through Andy Butterworth’s excellent strike from the edge of the box.

Waiters Arms ended Halifax Hammers’ unbeaten start to the season thanks to Lee Wood’s second half winner and fine goalkeeping form John Lister.

Hammers were kicking themselves for missing lots of chances, having dominated for long spells of the match.

Ahsan Farooq went close twice early on for Hammers and Lamin Gitteh had a goal ruled out for offside.

Waiters took the lead against the run of play through Carl Maguire but it was short lived as a good move on the left enabled Gitteh to score a lovely goal.

Hammers were playing good football and Matty Waller and Gitteh set up Mohammed Ozair to rifle the ball into the bottom corner.

More chances went begging before an own goal made it 2-2 at the break.

Lister and a packed defence kept out Hammers and a good move produced what turned out to be the winner from Wood on 65 minutes.

It was all Hammers again after that, Lister making superb saves in the last five minutes from Waller and Ozair.

Top Club took the spoils in a hugely entertaining Brighouse derby, completing an early league double over Old Pond at Lane Head.

Club had smashed 11 past beleaguered Pond three weeks earlier but Richard Dawson’s improving Hove Edge outfit were much more competitive second time round but lost 2-0.

Kris Gorringe’s effort was expertly tipped over by Dan Barnes, James Lord headed too high and Tom Gorringe’s dipping shot smashed against the bar as Matthew Spink’s Top Club made the running.

Pond responded. A James Symonds cross was headed just over by Jamie O’Callaghan and Wayne Allert’s close range header was blocked by the Rastrick side’s keeper Michael Hickingbotham.

O’Callaghan’s shot was held by Hickingbotham as the game remained scoreless up to half time.

The home side broke the deadlock on the hour when Daniel Lax deflected the ball into the far corner of the net.

Pond tried hard to equalise. Paul Taylor struck the ball just over the bar and Hickingbotham twice blocked close range efforts.

Top Club’s Adam Clayton made it 2-0 in the last moments to lift his side up to fourth.

Bowling Green are second after a 5-1 win over Mount Tabor while Ryburn United were also emphatic home winners, beating Lee Mount 4-1 to get off the mark for the season.

In Division One, Matthew Bagshaw was delighted with his Barge FC side, as they won their top of the table clash with Beehive & Crosskeys.

A solitary goal from David Woffenden, who fired home after a sloppy kick out from the Beehive keeper, was enough for a 1-0 win that took the Brighouse side above their nearest rivals to top spot.

Both sides had good chances and The Barge manager was delighted with his side’s defensive efforts and those of stand-in keeper David Sutton.

Feathers went second with a 3-2 win over Hens Face while Ovenden BCFC maintained their promising start with an 11-4 success away to struggling Bradshaw.

Queens Head were even more prolific, thumping visitors Royd Club 14-1.

North Bridge and Ryburn Valley moved into mid-table by beating Oddfellows and Triangle by 4-3 and 4-1 respectively.

Halifax Rangers continued their stranglehold at the top of the Second Division thanks to this hard-earned 3-1 home victory over Crown,

For the second game running, Rangers had to come from behind, after veteran Mick Drennan had given the visitors a 13th minute lead with a penalty needlessly conceded by keeper Damon Parry.

The lead lasted just five minutes as Luke Watson combined well with Sean Byrne on the left-hand side of the box, and Byrne’s fizzing angled drive gave the keeper no chance.

Byrne added his second after 27 minutes with another powerful shot after Sam Parker had pulled the ball back for him.

Crown had a chance to level after 35 minutes when Rangers conceded another penalty with skipper Andy Bowe the culprit, but Parry got down well to push Drennan’s effort away.

A minute later Rangers added a third. Parker did the spadework and when keeper Howard Templeton smothered his shot, Byrne crossed to give Luke Watson a simple close range header.

There was no scoring in the second half. Crown continued to press but found the Rangers back line of Shaun Kellett, Bowe and Danny Hunter in resolute form, whilst behind them Parry commanded his goal.

Halifax Hammers Reserves produced their best display of the season to beat Weavers 4-1 in spite of being without four regulars.

They dominated from the first whistle with captain Wajid Nawaz causing problems for the Weavers defence,

Usman Khan and Zaheer Hanif were dictating play in midfield and a defence-splitting pass from Zaheer Hanif enabled Nawaz to open the scoring.

Nawaz added a penalty and completed his hat-trick just before half time with an exquisite finish.

Hammers retained possession well in the second half and Sohail Bashir’s hard work was rewarded with a goal from a neat finish. Weavers scored a late consolation.

Top Club Reserves picked up a 7-2 win, a late brace from Jonny Handley helping to take the match away from North Bridge’s second string.

Goals from Reece Rowley, Jake Gibson and Dominic McLeod had given the Rastrick visitors a 3-2 interval lead. Dan Thaxter and Gary Nicholson also struck to give their side a second win of the campaign.

Halifax Amateurs beat Ovenden Phoenix 7-0 and King Cross Park won by the same margin away to St Columbas, running out 8-1 victors.