Green forced to work hard to deny Royal comeback

FC Bowling Green were made to work harder than they should have been as they continue to set the pace at the top of the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division.

Green saw off the challenge from FC Royal of Pellon by 3-2. However, they had been 3-0 up at one stage and needed some fine saves from Paul Barker in the second half to prevent Royal from snatching at least a a point.

Green were cruising as Gary Ash netted twice early on while Royal keeper Chris Moroney was kept busy keeping the tally down.

Ash completed his hat-trick after the break and Green had a good shout for a penalty turned down before Rob Gerrard reduced the deficit from the spot after Ben Helliwell had handled.

Gerrard then added a second with a well-struck free-kick from the edge of the box and Green were forced to hold on for the final 11 minutes, Barker coming to their rescue on a couple of occasions.

FC Champs slipped up as they fell 4-2 to a Sun Inn side picking up their first win of the season. Carrington took full advantage to leap into second place following their 9-0 demolition of Mount Tabor, the victory coming just two weeks after inflicting an 18-0 scoreline on the same opponents.

Tabor had a couple of key players back and for the opening 20 minutes there was little to choose between them with both sides battling hard for control of the game.

Carrington finally made the breakthrough when Jay Carney scored from an excellent Damon Illingworth cross and they doubled the lead soon after, Damien Randall scoring a screamer from the edge of the box after a corner was only half cleared.

An excellent link up with Matty Horsfall allowed Carney to get his second and provider then turned scorer when Horsfall drilled home from 20 yards to put the visitors four ahead at the break.

Carrington extended their lead further just after the restart when a mix up at the back allowed Jordan Coduri to race clear and he finished well before Carney chested home a sublime ball from Randall.

Coduri grabbed his second with a chip over the keeper and Randall then got his second, another superb strike from distance after beating a couple of defenders.

The final goal came from the penalty spot, Carney scoring his fourth after a foul on Mark McElroy.

The Vine had gained confidence following a decent showing in the West Riding Cup the previous week and took that into their clash with Elland Sports where they ran out 2-1 winners.

Boss Mark Richardson admitted that they should have been dead and buried, but Elland had an off day in front of goal with Mark Heppenstall and Wayne Crossley guilty of missing a number of chances.

Vine played well on the break and went ahead through Michael Rigby’s header from a set-piece before another break saw Josh Gentry skin the full back before crossing for Chris Silkstone to net the second.

Vine continued to defend well as well as riding their luck and it wasn’t until five minutes from time before Crossley finally hit the target for Elland.

Lee Mount lifted themselves a couple of places up the table following their 5-2 success at Shoulder FC Northowram.

Mount were 5-0 up at the break before allowing Shoulder to hit back with two goals down the slope. That made for a nervy period but Mount were able to regroup and see the game out.

Paul Fiander opened the scoring, volleying home after a fine move, before Callum Meade weighed in with two on the way to securing a hat-trick.

Danny Kirman made it 4-0 before Meade netted his third with a spectacular overhead kick.

Games between Old Pond and Acton Athletic have a habit of throwing up high scoring entertaining clashes and this latest Division One game was no exception as the two sides traded six goals.

Pond took the lead from a Paul Taylor free kick after Jamie O’Callaghan had been felled on the edge of the penalty area. However, Scott Carney rifled home having drifted in off the right flank to restore parity.

Pond keeper Ben Briggs made a terrific close range save to keep the scores level, and that allowed a combination of Michael Martin, Paul Meredith and latterly Taylor to put a move together finished off by Chris Marsh as the Hove Edge side went in a goal to the good at the interval.

Acton played very well in the second period with James Machon in midfield and the lively movement of Carney causing problems for the Pond defence.

A Carney cross was fired in by Matt Bodkins as the visitors once more drew level before Carney himself latched onto a Geordie Watson throw in to put Acton ahead.

The points looked to be heading back to Ovenden for Danny Connor’s side, but having failed to look after possession in the dying seconds they afforded Pond one more opportunity from a corner and with 20 seconds left, Meredith’s centre struck two Acton players before nestling in the net.

Jordan Dean admitted his Hollins Holme side had been lucky to collect maximum points from their 4-3 success over struggling Elland Sports Reserves.

Dean believed some of his players thought they had the game won before they kicked off and that almost led to their downfall as the visitors opened up a 2-0 lead with 20 minutes to go.

George Bamford made the difference, netting the final goal with three minutes to go after coming on as a second half substitute.

Joe Gibson started the comeback, hitting the target from Joe Fielding’s cross following a short corner routine.

Andrew Butterworth then brought the scores level with a left footed free-kick from 20 yards after which a long ball from keeeper Steven Butterworth caught out the Elland defence and Bamford was able to steal in and put his side ahead.

Elland made it 3-3 with five minutes to go before another long ball saw Bamford pounce for the winner.

Holme adopted a defensive 4-5-1 tactic and were able to see out the closing minutes.

Halifax Hammers continued their decent run of form with a 4-2 home win over Oddfellows while the remaining two games finished in high scoring draws, Thornhill Briggs and Bradshaw sharing 12 goals while Stallions and Waiters Arms drew 4-4.

Rastrick BC beat Top Club 4-3 to remain top of Division Two but they are struggling to shake Ryburn United off their tail after they beat third-placed Greetland Goldstars 7-2.

The game was tougher than the scorline suggests with Ryburn struggling to cope with Greetland’s uncompromising approach. However, the visitors used the pitch conditions to their advantage to open up a 5-0 lead.

Greetland brought it back to 5-2 after the break but Ryburn were able to notch a couple more then pack the midfield and see the game out despite having Jake Brown sent off for dissent with 15 minutes to go

Alex Coburn scored their first on the way to a hat-trick with Ed Hyland netting twice.

Lewis Cockroft also scored as did captain Dan Swales with his first of the season.

The Vine Reserves went a goal down against Halifax Rangers but rallied well to secure a 10-1 success.

Zahid Mahmood claimed the scoring honours with four while Zumarad Ajab grabbed a hat-trick.

King Cross Park denied Beehive & Crosskeys a first win of the season with a 4-3 success while Hens face were 6-1 winners at North Bridge and Ryburn Valley beat Stubbing Wharf 4-0.