Green have enough to see off Sports

Football - Hen's Face v King Cross Park. Nick Birchall for Hen's Face and Michael Corton for King Cross Park.
Football - Hen's Face v King Cross Park. Nick Birchall for Hen's Face and Michael Corton for King Cross Park.

FC Bowling Green edged an entertaining game against Elland Sports 4-3 to maintain their place at the top of the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League table.

A storming opening saw Green take the lead when Joe Swallow charged down a clearance leaving Gary Ash one on one with the ‘keeper and he sidefooted home.

Elland were level immediately through a deflected free-kick from Anthony Campbell before Green restored their advantage when Ryan Brook and Ollie Smith combined with Swallow poking home the latter’s cross.

Again Elland wasted no time in responding as a defensive mistake allowed Carlton Balmer to round the ‘keeper for 2-2.

Green edged ahead for the third time when good work on the left by James Wroot picked out Ash and he crossed for Matty Hoyle to net, and they added a fourth before the break when Swallow dispossesed Rob Gerrard and burst through to score.

As expected Elland came out for the second half with all guns blazing and pulled a goal back with a Rob Gerrard free kick which evaded everbody and curled into the top corner.

Elland proceeded to see a lot of the ball but Green, who looked dangerous on the break, were able to hold on.

Carrington ran out 7-1 winners over King Cross Sports on a bog of a pitch at Beechwood Park

Both sides struggled to gain any momentum early on due to the conditions and it took a defensive mistake to break the deadlock. Gavin Foster’s header back sailed over goalkeeper Craig Clegg leaving Dick Hartley the simple task of knocking the ball into an empty net.

Damien Randall then scored with a superb chip from distance and followed that up with a cool finish after being put through by Scott Eastwood.

There was concern for Dan Crosland after he face-planted in the mud but after some treatment he was able to carry on.

Good work on the right from Carlton Pownall allowed Dick Hartley to scuff home his second shortly after half-time and moments later he sealed his hat-trick with a well taken goal.

Matty Hosfall headed home Carrington’s sixth before Cross finally got on the scoresheet, James Dodd netting with a great strike from outside the box.

Clegg then pulled off a good save to deny Randall another but Mark Brown reacted quickest to the rebound and he made no mistake.

Waiters Arms finally got one over their Sowerby Bridge rivals Engineers at the seventh attempt thanks to a 4-0 victory at Greetland.

Both teams competed well in the first half and Engine went closest to scoring with John Wilkinson firing wide when put clean through before Waiters’ David Chappell headed over from five yards.

Waiters started the second half much brighter and a fantastic move brought the first goal with former Engine player Micky Maguire spraying it wide for Danny Cook to cross and Chappell ran on to volley home from the edge of the area.

Engine should have equalised when Trevor Wadsworth crossed for Wilkinson who again missed a sitter. This spurred on the Waiters and they made them pay when vAdam Fenton’s shot was stopped in the area by Scott McHale and he turned smartly to finish past the stranded Scott Hibbert in the Engine goal.

It was soon 3-0 when McHale ran through from halfway before unselfishly squaring for strike partner Marco Romano to slot in before the bragging rights were made safe when Chappell fired home his second.

Halifax Hammers run out comfortable 8-2 winners against basement club Mount Tabor.

Terriq Pervez and Mohammed Ozair netted twice each with Mohammad Yasser, Matty Waller, Awais Ashfaq and Waleed Raja making up the tally. Jay Crowther netted the two Tabor goals.

Oddfellows continued their good form in Division One with a solid 9-1 win at home to Royd Club.

It was a pretty one-sided affair with Royd only managing a few efforts on goal once they had got beyond a strong defence. They also found ‘keeper Aron Jackson on top form, beating him only once with a 20 yard shot into the top corner.

Oddfellows dominated with goals from Daniel Merrick, Aaron Green (3) Jack Rice (2) one being a superb 20 yard volley, Scott Carney from a free-kick, Chris Swaine and captain Matthew Crouch.

Bradshaw enjoyed a comfortable 6-0 success over Stallions

Bradshaw started well and went one up inside five minute with Martin Woodhouse finishing well.

Five minutes later the same player added his second as Bradshaw, with Steve Cochrane running midfield, dominated proceedings.

Further good football saw Tom Boyle make it 3-0 at the break after which a good start to the second period led to Martin Woodhouse getting his thid and fourth goals of the game before brother Chris added the sixth to crown a fine all round performance.

Luke Eastwood and Jordan Peel were both on target twice as Queens Head wearmed up for their cup quarter-final meeting with Halifax Hammers with a 5-2 success at Ryburn Valley.

Valley had taken the lead against the run of play before Eastwood levelled.

The Queens Head ‘keeper was forced into a couple of saves early in the second half before Peel put the visitors ahead.

Valley pulled it back to 2-2 after which Eastwood and Peel added to their tally’s leaving Kayne Broadbent to round things off with a richly-deserved goal.

Top Club replaced Halifax Hammers Reserves at the top of Division Two after beating them 6-4.

A Ryan Barkham free kick was headed in by Nick Delaney to give the home side the lead but Hammers, who showed tenacity throughout the match, restored parity when their experienced centre half was quickest to react in the penalty area from a corner and fired home.

A fine series of passes between Tom Gorringe and Barkham set up Reece Rowley for Top Club’s second, the Hammers ‘keeper losing the ball in the sun and it dropped just under the crossbar and into the net.

The home side dominated the remainder of the first half with Barkham’s pace and quick feet causing problems for the Hammers defence. He fed Dan McLeod who burst through on goal culminating in a calm finish before Gorringe was afforded too much time in the penalty area and rammed the ball home.

The visitors maintained an excellent attitude and got a goal back in the second half, their lively number nine producing a fine dinked finish to bring his side back into contention.

The goals continued as firstly Barkham tapped home a Delaney cut back, before at the other end Hammers’ right back glanced home from a free kick into the box.

Gorringe added his second after winning a one on one dual with the Hammers ‘keeper but the visitors started to produce some excellent football and their left back pushed forward and arguably hit goal of the game as he swept the ball into the top corner from the corner of the box.

Home ‘keeper Chris Lawton tipped over a goalbound effort and a number of overlaps were created but Hammers couldn’t find the cutting edge to finish off their moves.

North Bridge got back to winning ways with a 3-1 success over Beehive & CrossKeys.

Bridge started the scoring when a pass from Sam Davidson was claimed by Tye Hewson who knocked the ball past a defender then charged past two more before drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

Bridge grabbed their second shortly afterwards when Slater Barnes received the ball on the left, cut inside and curled his shot into the top far corner from distance. Beehive managed to pull one back when Karl Smith was played through and hit a 30 yard strike past the goalkeeper.

Beehive came out battling in the second half and put a large amount of pressure on Bridge but struggled to beat the back line and in-form goalkeeper Leigh Whitaker.

Bridge wrapped up the points when Andy Warnes received the ball on the edge of the area, took on a couple of players and played Slater Barnes through to tap in.