Green serve up quickfire second defeat on Waiters

Sunday football - Ma Baker's (white) v Plummet Line (yellow). Sam Halstead for Ma Baker's and Michael Mitchell for Plummet Line
Sunday football - Ma Baker's (white) v Plummet Line (yellow). Sam Halstead for Ma Baker's and Michael Mitchell for Plummet Line

FC Bowling Green beat Waiters Arms 3-1 to inflict a second defeat on their rivals in the space of a week.

Green dumped Waiters out of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup after a 3-0 success the previous Sunday and this meeting was just as keenly fought.

Both teams had players missing, but it was Waiters who looked the more threatening as Green were slow out of the blocks.

The visitors took a deserved lead when Lee Wood intercepted a pass 25 yards out and his shot was good enough to beat Craig Lobley in the Green goal.

That set the tone for the first half with Lobley forced into a couple of decent saves.

Green got themselves back in the game 10 minutes before the break when Joe Swallow and Ash Rayner combined. Rayner threaded a pass into the box and Rick Taylor was on hand to slot home.

Green regrouped and changed formation after the break, and they started to create better chances, missing a couple of one-on-ones.

They edged ahead when a corner evaded everybody in the box. Joe Swallow retrieved the ball and curled in a right foot shot from a difficult angle which sailed into the net.

Waiters poured forward in an effort to get themselves back on terms but they suffered a third blow five minutes from time when Dean Lawrence’s intricate play on the edge of the box saw him spot a gap and curl the ball home.

Carrington were another side to secure a second quick-fire defeat on one of their rivals folowing a 5-2 home success over Hollins Holme.

Dan Mullaney’s side ended Holme’s chances of lifting the Senior Cup following a 4-0 success last weekend.

Yesterday’s win was equally important for Carrington as it closed the gap to second-placed Holme to three points while they are a further point behind leaders Lee Mount.

It was also a result which re-established Carrington as genuine title contenders as they have four games in hand on Holme and five on Mount.

Holme had a first minute penalty appeal turned down after James Chadwick had been pushed in the area. Carrington recovered and two defensive errors saw them open up a 2-0 lead.

Holme had a second penalty appeal waved away but they continued to battle and Jamie Gwilliam pulled a goal back from close range and they were level just before the break when good work in midfield ended with Greg Spink finding the net.

Carrington then flexed their muscles and netted three times in the last 20 minutes to seal the win.

“The first season was always going to be one of consolidation,” said Holme boss Joel Booth.

“We’re still treating each game as it comes but it is going to be very difficult to win the title now.

“We have to hope Carrington start dropping points but they really are a class side.

“If somebody had told me before the start of the season that we would be in this position with six games to go I would have taken it every day.”

Queens Head picked up a welcome three points in Division One with a 1-0 home success over Royd Club.

Both sides worked hard but largely cancelled each other out in an uninspiring contest.

Queens Head had the better of the opening exchanges but were denied by the Royd’ keeper who produced three decent saves.

The chances dried up and it took until the 75th minute for Queens to make the breakthrough with Jordan Peel firing home with a shot which only just beat the ‘keeper.

Table-topping Mount Tabor continued their title bid with a fine 6-3 win at Top Club.

Second-placed Ryburn United remain hot on their heels courtesy of a 2-1 win at a Triangle side looking to pull away from relegation danger.

With both clubs having plenty to play for it was a surprise that the game was, as Ryburn boss Richard Swales admitted, “quiet and methodical.”

Following a goalless first half, Ryburn took the lead through Sean Ling before Triangle pulled level when a ball was tipped onto the bar and the home striker followed up to net.

The visitors finally secured the win when a free-kick was parried by the Triangle ‘keeper and Josh Cockroft was in the right place to follow up.

Hens Face piled the pressure on bottom club Rastrick Bowling Club as they powered to a 5-1 success.

Rastrick created a few good chances with Kennedy and Sykes replying for the visitors.

Hens Face started to get on top and a great ball from Byrne found Kennedy who supplied the finish.

Hens continued to attack with great play from man of match Howard Metcalfe, Tom Smith and Robbie Kennedy who played great balls to set up Kennedy and Sykes to add to the tally before half time.

Rastrick worked hard to hit back but the visiting back three of Chadwick, Tyer and Pickles remained solid.

Soon after Sykes beat several men to add the fourth after which a free kick from out wide was knocked in captain Ben Chadwick for an own goal.

Hens Face remained on top and good play from Alderson saw him break through the midfield before finding Kenny, and he in turn crossed for Byrne to add his second.

Halifax Hammers Reserves kept their hopes of automatic promotion from Division Two alive with the hard-fought 2-1 win over Halifax Rangers in a game well-refereed by Ian Childs.

Rangers pushed Hammers all the way but both sides cancelled each other out in difficult, windy conditions.

Hammers finally broke the deadlock four minutes ahead of the break when good work on the left by Awais Ashfaq saw him thread a delightful pass through to Faisal Saghir who rifled his shot into the bottom corner.

The lead was doubled early in the second half when Hammers won a corner and Zumarad Ajab’s fine ball was put into the six yard box and Faisal Saghir was on hand to stab the ball home.

Both teams had opportunities to score with the best chance falling to Rangers with 15 minutes remaining. They were quite rightly awarded a penalty after Faisal Saghir was guilty of bringing the Rangers man but the spot kick was brilliantly saved by Qamar Ayub.

Rangers did secure a goal their efforts deserved when they netted direct from a corner. The home side pushed men forward in search of the equaliser but were kept out by some good defending.

Brown Cow are still the team to catch after they secured a hard fought 5-1 victory against a determined and at times resilient King Cross Park,

The game was played in a competitive high tempo but was slightly overshadowed by six bookings, a red card and and Cows’ assistant coach Ross Ashcroft sent from the field.

Both teams traded blows before Cow struck first from the spot, Trev Jobes coolly slotting home following a foul. Park hit back and equalised with a fine header to make it 1-1 at the break.

Both times carried on where the first half had finished with Park unlucky not to go 2-1 up with a goal ruled out for offside.

Cow took the lead again when Kyle Tyers’ quick corner to man of the match Tom Robinson caught Park’s defence out and he whipped the ball in for Brandon Wilkinson to head home.

Cow added a third when Ash Scully, who was a meance all game, floated in a fine ball in for Kyle Tyers to head in.

Robinson turned provider again with a quick free kick to Ryan Carney who produced a sweet strike into the bottom corner. Robinson wasn’t finished and floated a fabulous corner to the back post for Brandon Wilkinson to complete his brace and Cow’s fifth.