Green shine as Sun eclipsed

Actions from the game, Carrington FC v Mount Tabor at Savile Park.'Pictured are Robbie Graham and Paul Greenwood.
Actions from the game, Carrington FC v Mount Tabor at Savile Park.'Pictured are Robbie Graham and Paul Greenwood.

FC Bowling Green’s Dan Taylor said his side have all but given up on retaining their Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League title.

If that is the case then they are still giving teams both barrels if their 15-4 demolition of Sun Inn is anything to go by.

Green are seven points clear at the top with four games remaining. However, second-placed Carrington have nine games left and they are showing no signs of slipping up having beaten Mount Tabor 2-1 yesterday.

Green, who are in the Sunday FA Cup final and the last four of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup, opened up a 7-3 half-time lead against Sun despite having been pegged back at 2-2 at one stage.

The rout continued after the break before Sun Inn claimed the goal of the game through a 25 yard lob late on.

Andrew Sutcliffe netted four times for Green with Gary Ash claiming a hat-trick.

Jonny Collins, Matty Hoyle and Joe Swallow grabbed two each with James Clegg’s fine strike from the edge of the box, and John Elliot making up the rest.

Carrington, meanwhile, had to work hard to overcome a resilient defensive display by the visitors.

Having already been beaten 18-0 and 9-0 by Carrington earlier in the season, Tabor were determined to restore some pride and although they rarely troubled Carrington going forward, the commitment showed they have more than enough about them to beat the drop.

Carrington enjoyed some good possession early on and Dick Hartley went close with a rasping drive from just outside the box but Jason Crowther turned the ball round the post at full stretch.

The home side made the breakthrough when a slip at the back allowed Damien Randall to burst into the box and he made no mistake.

Carrington almost doubled their lead moments later, a superb through-ball from Randall put Jay Carney through but he was denied by an excellent sliding tackle as he pulled the trigger.

Tabor almost carved an opening when a good ball forward found Adam Helliwell in space but the recovering defenders forced him to shoot off balance.

Early in the second half an excellent point blank save from Crowther denied Jordan Coduri but the pressure finally told and a good move created space for Randall who drilled home his second goal of the game.

Tabor pulled one back when some sloppy defending from Carrington gave away a free-kick on the right hand side of the box. The initial cross was cleared but when the ball was driven back in it fell to Luke Busfield who turned the ball home.

That made for a nervous finish for Carrington but Tabor were unable to build up any decent pressure and Mark McElroy and Damon Illingworth both went close to adding for Carrington late on.

Another side who will wait to see how the next few weeks pan out are Elland Sports who saw their game at Shoulder FC Northowram abandoned after 35 minutes due to poor pitch conditions with the score at 1-1.

Northowram Rec. had a light covering of snow over a boggy surface, but referee Mick Denton and the respective managers said they were happy to give the game a chance.

Matthew Rushworth put Shoulder ahead only for Jacob Driver to cancel that out with a strike from the edge of the box.

The end came with the pitch cutting up badly and players complaining they were unable to keep their feet leaving Denton with no choice but to call a halt.

“It wasn’t much of a spectacle,” said Elland boss Nigel Dare. “It was a case of lobbing the ball up and seeing where it landed while players were just shooting from anywhere.”

The next league meeting isn’t until next month where a decision on whether to re-stage the match is certain to be discussed.

Waiters Arms warmed up for Friday’s County Trophy semi-final against Bardsey with a hard-fought 5-2 victory over promotion rivals Acton Athletic. Acton started the stronger and pinned the Division One leaders back for the first 20 minutes aided by the slope and a strong wind.

They made this pressure count when Kyle Tyers found room to fire home after good work from Matt Bodkin and Scott Carney.

Tyers and Bodkin then had shots superbly saved by returning Waiters keeper Lee McGrath.

Waiters weathered the onslaught and after a change of formation Lee Wood put Adam Fenton through and he rounded the keeper and slotted home to even the scores.

Waiters then nicked another goal just before half time when top scorer Marco Romano fired home from just outside the box.

The second half was a different story with Waiters keeping possession and forcing Acton into mistakes, Romano finding room to calmly slot past the on-rushing keeper.

Romano then completed his hat trick when he poked home after good approach play from Chris Doyle and James Goodwin and after Danny Cook and Wood fired wide, Wood made amends when he ran free from the halfway line before finishing well.

Kyle Tyers then pulled another goal back for Acton with two minutes to go.

Under-strength Halifax Hammers maintained the pressure on Waiters with a stunning 7-3 victory over a Hollins Holme side who had started the day in second place.

Hammers took the lead after just 20 seconds when Matty Waller and Wajid Nawaz combined to put Sam Ahmed clear, and he raced past two defender before unleashing a powerful shot into the top corner.

The lead was doubled after 14 minutes when good approach play led to Terriq Pervez netting from an acute angle.

Holme recieved a lifeline when Abu Baker was adjudged to have commited a foul in the area. Andrew Butterworth’s effort was brilliantly saved by Hussain Farooq but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken, Butterworth scoring at the second attempt.

Farooq was called on to make further saves before a good team move from the back saw Matty Waller hitting a crisp shot into the bottom corner to make it 3-1 to Hammers.

However, Holme were back in it just before half time when the visitors won a free kick and Andrew Butterworth’s shot took a deflection on the way to making it 3-2.

Hammers settled into a more familiar 4-4-2 formation after the break and a good move ended with Wajid Nawaz smashing home.

Hollins kept pushing men forward and after a mix up in the Hammers defence, Andrew Butterworth scored for 4-3.

Hammers then proceeded to take control and Waller beat three men before hitting a low drive for 5-3 after which Terriq Pervez scored from close range.

The final goal saw Waleed Raja race clear before executing a cheeky dink over the keeper.

Elland Sports Reserves may well have to do without keeper Craig Taylor for the remainder of the season after he suffered a wrist injury during his side’s 5-2 victory over Stallions.

Taylor is due to have tests after initial fears that the wrist may be broken.

Stallions were holding their own at 2-2 at half-time but Elland powered on in the second to secure the spoils.

Jordan Burnham maintained his record of being named man-of-the match everytime he has played this season and scored two with Damon Nichols also on target twice. Dean McDonald was also on the scoresheet

Halifax Rangers picked up their first Division Two point of the season at the 21st time of asking following a 2-2 draw with a Hen’s Face side containing a host of players who made up the bulk of their first team last season.

Hen’s Face took an early lead when Jake Kennedy ran through to finish off Aiden Bradley’s defence splitting pass, and midway through the first half, Rangers were carved open and Jack Willis was left with a tap-in for the home side’s second.

But Rangers pulled one back before the break when Johnny Meynell, who scored his first goal for the club in September 1984, turned home the ball into the roof of the net when Tommy Metcalfe had helped on Mark Owens’ right-wing corner.

Rangers were largely on top in the second half and struck an equaliser through Sean Byrne with the goal of the day, cutting in from the left and unleashing an unstoppable shot into the far corner.

Byrne had a couple of other decent chances, whilst at the other end, Hen’s Face hit the bar and rookie keeper Peter Bowe did well to spare Martin Bishop’s blushes by plucking the ball out of the air as it spun off the Rangers defender.

Ryburn United opened up a six point gap at the top following an 8-1 home success over Beehive & Cross Keys while Rastrick BC, who have three games in hand in second, stayed in the hunt after a 7-1 success over King Cross Park.

Third-placed Greetland Goldstars also hit the goal trail, beating King Cross Sports Reserves 6-1.