Greetland take over at the top

Dave Woffenden (centre) is back making an impact for Greetland
Dave Woffenden (centre) is back making an impact for Greetland

Greetland have hit top spot in the Haslem Sheppard Halifax AFL after a 3-3 draw away to Elland United.

However, they came away from Carr Green disappointed after letting a three-goal lead slip with a poor second half display.

Greetland, who gave a debut to Callum Hanson and had David Woffenden back for a second spell at the club, started strongly down the slope.

Scott McHale went close after good work between Tom Wall and Danny Dorward and the opening goal wasn’t long in coming.

Hanson won the ball and fed Woffenden, whose arrowed pass sent Carl Ainley through on goal. Ainley’s cool chip from 20 yards out was too good for the Elland ‘keeper.

Woffenden soon made it 2-0 with his own stunning lob from the edge of the area after good work again from McHale and Dorward.

Ainley made it 3-0 on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot, after Dorward had been fouled, to cap a fine first half performance.

However, Elland looked a different side playing down the slope with Mark Kelsey and Carlton Balmer making inroads into the Greetland defence.

Greetland lost Dorward and Ainley to injury, forcing a reshuffle in midfield, and Elland soon started to take advantage.

Jordan Burnham’s shot from edge of the area made it 3-1 and when ‘keeper Craig Taylor couldn’t hold a free kick, Lee Goodall pounced on the rebound to make it 3-2.

Elland were now pressing and got their reward with 15 minutes to go when Kelsey charged down a back pass. He could have made it 4-3 but was denied by a stunning Taylor save and a Danny Brooks clearance.

Woffenden broke away in the dying seconds but was denied by a great last-ditch save.

Calder ‘76 twice came from behind to win 3-2 away to a very young and inexperienced Sowerby Bridge side.

Bridge’s makeshift side settled well and took the lead on 25 minutes when an Adam Barlow shot found its way through a packed penalty area, the ball bouncing into the bottom corner.

Calder replied just before half time with a Simon Stansfield penalty after Remi Allen had been brought down in the corner of the area.

The visitors took control after the break but fell behind again when Adam Barlow rose above everyone. However,John Moynes made it 2-2 when he headed in at the far post.

It looked as Bridge would hold on, particularly when Jordan Bolton saved Calder’s second penalty. However, Matty McCambridge fired an unstoppable shot just inside the near post in the last minute.

Sixteen-year-old debutants Chris Woodhead, Adam Robinson and Keelan Noble didn’t look out of place against a well organised Calder team.

Holmfield lifted themselves off the bottom of the table with a 2-1 win away to Copley United, who also had one point from three games going into the contest.

Jordan Pettifor and Mick Palethorpe struck for Holmfield with Gary Ash the scorer for Copley.

Chris Conroy scored four times in the first half as Northowram made it three wins out of four in Division One with a 6-1 thrashing of Volunteer Arms.

A poor playing surface contributed to a scrappy game but the Rams had by far the better of the opening half and once Conroy had seized on an under hit back header to put his side in front after six minutes, the Rams were in control.

Chris Dunne set up Conroy’s second and the same combination was instrumental in Conroy’s hat-trick goal.

Other than a James Bunn save from Jamie Whitehead and a vital last-ditch tackle from Matthew Rushworth to deny the same player, Volunteers barely threatened the Rams goal.

The pacy Conroy added a fourth on the stroke of half-time after an excellent ball from Jake Baker.

Volunteers came more into the game and Mark Kemp’s superbly struck shot from distance, after neat build-up play, opened their account after 48 minutes.

The Rams restored their four goal advantage on the hour when Dunne was adjudged to have been fouled in the area, a decision that perplexed the home side, and James Waggett hammered home the penalty.

Substitutes James Fearnley and Paul Glew combined for the sixth goal, Glew slotting home a minute from the end.

Shelf United made it three wins out of three following relegation when they romped to an 8-2 success against Halifax Irish Centre at West Vale while Stainland United got off the mark away to Greetland AFC Reserves, Karl Jowett getting the only goal.

There was only one scorer in the Ryburn United Reserves versus Wadsworth United contest with Rick Bottomley’s two goals for the hosts the difference between the sides at the end of 90 minutes.

Harvey Walsh scored a hat-trick as Sowerby United Reserves beat visitiors Halifax Irish Centre Reserves 6-2 in an entertaining Division Two contest.

Irish lost Ajab Zumarad with a cut head in the first few minutes and had to play the rest of the game with 10 men.

Sowerby made the extra man count as played some flowing football.

Walsh rounded off fine build-up play to open the scoring and bagged two more before John Elliott outstripped a tiring Irish defence.

Alex Haggerty made it 5-0 but the gallant Irish rallied through Jacob Travis and Wahid Mahmood before Sowerby had the final word through Aran Howard.

Bottom beat top when Shelf United Reserves pulled off a 5-3 win away to AFC Crossleys, helped by two goals each for James Broadbent and Ross Broadley.

Midgley United Reserves and King cross Warley reserves shared the honours 3-3 while goals from Chris Van-Eda and Kayne Broadbent helped Calder Reserves make it three wins out of four at the expense of Denholme Reserves, for whom Joe Greenwood hit the target.

Brighouse Sports went two points clear in Division Three after a 7-0 rout of visitors St Columbas.

Savile Arms beat West Central 3-1 in the other game in the section to go second, Ory Goldthorpe getting two of their goals.

Halifax FA Saturday Cup holders Brighouse Old Boys are over the first hurdle in this year’s competition but it was far from plain sailing against Halifax AFL Division Two side Spring Hall Celtic.

They won 3-1 after falling behind in the first half in spite of good link-up play in midfield between James Fletcher, Reece Bray, Matty Roy and James Coates and the skill of Tom Gorringe up front.

The West Yorkshire League side couldn’t turn their dominance into goals and Spring Hall scored against the run of play.

It was mainly one-way traffic after the break and Brighouse equalised when centre forward Mike Pearson pounced.

Sub Rob Kenny set up Fletcher to score with a neat header and although Spring Hall came back, Matty Roy walked the ball into the net following a misplaced back pass.

Hebden Royd Red Star powered past division-lower Elland Allstars 8-3.

They were 3-0 up at the break and added a fourth before switching off and allowing Allstars to pull two back.

Red Star, with Ben Norman prominent in midfield and re-signed Matthew Town proving an ideal replacement for Harry West at right back, moved up a gear again to pull clear.

Lewis Cockroft, who was playing for Ryburn Reserves last season, bagged three more goals and continues to cash in on Red Star’s fine approach play.

In another first round game, Shelf FC beat division-higher visitors Mixenden United by 5-3.