Hammers boss threatens to call it a day

Jamie Gwilliam scores for Hollins Holme against Elland Sports
Jamie Gwilliam scores for Hollins Holme against Elland Sports

Halifax Hammers could be in danger of folding at the end of the season according to long-serving secretary Nayim Akram.

Akram, who has run the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division side for a decade, said that it has been increasingly difficult to run the side recently and hinted that this season may be his last.

“It is hard to run the team and I don’t think anybody else will step up to take the responsibility,” he said. “It is looking likely that I will call it a day at the end of the season.

“I feel sorry for the lads who want to play football, but I have run the club for 10 years and I don’t think I have the energy to do it anymore.”

On Sunday Hammers, who had seven regulars including their goalkeeper and four defenders unavailable, went down to a 6-3 defeat against a well-organised Old Pond side.

However, it was Hammers who opened the scoring with Sameer Ahmed netting a delightful goal. Another good team move led to Awais Ali Khan scoring at the far post to make it 2-0 and it was soon 3-0 following a fine solo run from Awais Ali Khan.

Hammers had further chances but they were pegged back by two quick goals from set-pieces before half-time.

Hammers were dealt a double blow in the second half when they lost Mohammed Yasser to injury and then, with just over half an hour to go, S.Ahmed was sent off for a professional foul.

Another set-piece saw Pond lead 4-3 and with Hammers pushing forward they left big gaps and Pond scored a further two late goals to claim the points,

Lee Mount maintained their place at the top of the table following a 3-2 home success over second bottom Feathers. However, they will be feeling Carrington’s breath on their necks after their 2-0 success at Bowling Green.

Dan Mullaney’s side are just four points behind Mount but have an astonishing five games in hand having only played nine league games so far.

Games between the two sides are usually tight affairs and this one was no different, with both defences on top early on.

The visitors made the breakthrough on the half hour mark when Jordan Coduri converted from the penalty spot after a foul on Jay Carney.

Green always looked dangerous from set pieces and were unlucky not to equalise before half-time when a far post knock down was slammed against the bar.

The second half started in the same way but as the game stretched out it was Carrington who looked the more likely to score.

Carlton Pownall dragged a shot just wide after working himself an opening in the box and Craig Lobley then pulled off a good save to stop a venomous strike from Matty Jones.

The second goal finally came when Coduri raced on to a through ball and lifted the ball over the onrushing Lobley and into the net.

Green got bodies forward and applied some late pressure but strong performances at the back from Dan Crosland and Chris Hall meant they were unable to create any meaningful chances.

Hollins Holme bounced back to winning ways with a 4-0 home success over Elland Sports.

Both sides were heavily depleted with Holme naming boss Joel Booth and veteran Steve Parker as unused substitutes.

In a game described as ‘hard but fair’, Holme took the lead after five minutes when Shawn Frewin, on his debut, latched onto the ball after Rob Day’s initial shot had come back out to him 20 yards from goal and fired a right foot volley past the ‘keeper and into the net.

Greg Spink doubled the advantage, nodding home from a Day corner, and the same combination made it 3-0 with Spink again on target with a similar effort.

Elland missed the chance to pull a goal back when they were off target from the penalty spot then James Cowans went close to giving the visitors a lifeline when his overhit back pass was kept out at the death by Holme ‘keeper Chris Garbutt.

Jamie Gwilliam put the result beyond doubt when he netted from close range following a goalmouth scramble.

The top two in Division One suffered surprise defeats with leaders Mount Tabor slipping up 2-1 at North Bridge while Ryburn United suffered only their second league defeat of the campaign with a 4-2 home loss at the hands of Top Club

Queens Head picked up an important three points at the wrong end of the table following a 6-3 win at old rivals Bradshaw.

Royd Club collected a welcome point following a high-scoring 4-4 home draw with Triangle.

It was the hosts’ first points since December and fully deserved with Remi Allen coming off the becnch to net twice late on and rescue the game after Triangle had opened up a 4-1 lead.

The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot but Royd were level by the break thanks to James Yate’s flick from a near post corner.

Triangle took the game by the scruff of the neck after the interval but Matty Bleasdale gave Roy hope with their second goal.

There was still plenty for the home side to do and Allen’s late double provided a real tonic.

Ma Bakers’ fine form in Division Two continued with a 7-0 win against North Bridge FC Reserves.

Ma Bakers were untouchable at times, leaving North Bridge chasing shadows for most of the game. However, Bridge refused to let their heads drop and fought well until the final whistle

Jorden Parnell opened the scoring with a powerful drive, leaving the keeper with no chance, and his excellent form continued throughout as he went on to secure a deserved hat trick.

Geordie Watson scored a trademark free kick from 25 yards while Sam Halsted and man of the match David Woffenden also got their names on the scoresheet.

However, it was Ian St Hilaire who stole the show with his first goal of the season, and one he will never forget.

The right back played a delightful one-two with Grayham Pugh, 40 yards out, then beat four players before producing a powerful left foot shot which fizzed past the North Bridge keeper.

Brown Cow overcame a spirited fightback from a good Old Pond Reserves side to secure a 4-2 victory.

Cow struck first after a scrappy start with Trev Jones smashing the rebound home after the keeper dropped a stinging Tom Robinson strike.

Robinson added a second after a fantastic solo run, before the visitors missed a host of chances.

Cow were down to 10 men for a long period in the second half due to an injury to striker Kyle Tyers. Pond took full advantage and scored two well worked goals in quick succession, and they should have taken the lead but for some good keeping by Aaron Bergin.

Cow regained the lead against the run of play when they were awarded a penalty for handball which Scott Carney squeezed home.

Pond pushed on for the equaliser but were caught on the break with Rory Thickett’s driving run and ball into Trev Jones who squared under pressure for Scott Carney to secure his brace and seal the match.