Hammers plough on after extra time winner

Sunday football - Bowling Green (yellow) v Halifax Hammers (green). Gary Ash for Bowling Green and Mohammed Yasser for Hammers.
Sunday football - Bowling Green (yellow) v Halifax Hammers (green). Gary Ash for Bowling Green and Mohammed Yasser for Hammers.

An extra time goal from Mohammed Ozair settled a hard-fought Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Sunday Cup quarter final tie in Halifax Hammers’ favour as they edged a 3-2 win at FC Bowling Green.

The game finally went ahead after three postponements due to the weather, and both sides had to contend with a difficult playing surface.

Green made most of the early running and took the lead following a defensive mistake.

Hammers struggled on the heavy surface so player boss Mohammed Yasser changed the system and it paid dividends.

Clever play by Irfan Yasser and Terriq Pervez put Kashif Akmal through but he was brought down in the box and referee Wayne Cotton, who had a good game, pointed to the spot, Ahsan Farooq scoring from the penalty.

Both teams kept pressing but were kept out by fine defending until Ikhlaq Ahmed and Terriq Pervez combined to set up Irfan Afzal who scored at the back post to make it 2-1 at the break.

Ahsan Farooq had a good chance early in the second half only to see his effort brilliantly saved by Bowling ‘keeper Craig Lobley.

At the other end a good move by Bowling saw the ball pulled back and fired in for 2-2.

Both sides had chances to win in normal time with Green hitting the crossbar from a corner kick while Ahsan Farooq also cleared from the goalline.

In the seventh minute of extra time a delightful ball by Kashif Akmal put 17 year old Awais Khan in the clear and he was brought down just outside the box by Ryan Brook who had already been booked and was sent off.

Ozair arrowed the free kick into the roof of the net and although Green pushed forward Hammers were able to hold on.

Hollins Holme overcame nine weeks of inactivity to blow the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League title race wide open with a 6-0 win over leaders Lee Mount.

If over two months without kicking a ball in anger wasn’t enough, Joel Booth also had to contend with the absence of five regular players including both main strikers Rob Day and George Bamford.

As a result regular ‘keeper Chris Garbutt was employed as an emergency striker with second choice custodian Glynn Claxton pulling on the gloves.

Holme got off to the perfect start when the Mount ‘keeper misjudged a Jordan Dean through ball after five minutes and the ball went through his legs and into the net.

Jamie Gwilliam and Jordan Dean both hit the woodwork before Greg Spink doubled the advantage direct from a corner.

The second half was only five minutes old when Steve Senior added the third, mopping up after James Chadwick’s shot had been saved.

Gwilliam beat three defenders and rounded the ‘keeper for 4-0 before the player merry-go-round started again.

Claxton suffered a groin injury and Garbutt took up his usual place between the posts with Rhys Dean coming on for his ‘second debut’ having played for the club some 10 years ago.

Rhys Dean made his presence felt by flicking on for Gwilliam to add the fifth then blasted home the final goal from the edge of the area following good work from Jordan Dean and Chadwick.

Carrington returned to action with a 7-2 win over bottom club Oddfellows.

The home side took the lead early on thanks to a screamer from Dan Crosland. Oddy’s were putting up a good showing but found themselves further behind when Jay Carney struck from the edge of the box.

Chris Ellerby hit the woodwork with a strike from distance before Carney rounded the keeper to make it 3-0 at half-time.

Carrington started the second half well and extended their lead with Carney sealing his hat-trick.

Ellerby then slotted home a penalty before Carney fired home twice more to take his tally to five.

Damian Randall had a penalty saved by Oddy’s keeper Aron Jackson before the visitors pulled one back with a good finish from Ashley Shaw.

Jack Rice then completed the scoring, converting from the spot after a foul from Crosland.

Elland Sports were stunned when struggling Feathers netted late on to salvage a point from a 1-1 draw.

Feathers only had three men 15 minutes before kick-off but managed to field 10 for the start of the game.

Elland were soon testing the keeper but they failed to find a way through, striker Steve Fullard frustrated by a lack of service, until Vaughan Boon managed to find the net,

Feathers now had 11 players and a substitute and were beginning to grow in confidence. They kept the pressure on and had a goal ruled out for offside but they kept going and finally notched the equaliser they deserved with a thunderbolt volley into the top corner from outside the box.

Late arrivals meant that Royd Club started their Division One home clash with Ryburn Valley with only nine men.

However, an error on the edge of the box from Ryburn saw the hosts take an early lead.

Ryburn then took control and David carter netted four times with Jonny Booth’s header completing a 5-1 success..

Ma Bakers and Brown Cow went into their Division Two clash with exceptional records; Ma Bakers having won five in a row and Brown Cow having won nine.

In the end it was ma Bakers who were celbrating after extending their sequence courtesy of a 5-3 win.

The game started with quality football played from both sides but it was 18 year old Sam Halstead who opened the scoring for Bakers with a fine individual goal on the way to bagging a deserved hat-trick.

Brown Cow equalised as a result of a misunderstanding from Ma Bakers’ keeper Ben Hallinan and the defence but it didn’t affect the keeper’s performance for rest of the game as he ensured that Brown Cow were kept at bay for the most part.

Ma Bakers, with vice-captain Jorden Parnell to the fore, came back fighting to make it 2-1 and the two sides traded scores with Ma Bakers taking control of the game.

Their remaining goalsscorers were David Woffenden and Graham Pugh with Tom Robison, Kyle Tyers and Ash Scully replying for Brown Cow for whom Scott Cartman was outstanding.

The gane was well refereed by Mike Sharman, however he had to stop play seven times due to dog dirt on the Savile Park pitch.

A Mike Kellett hat-trick was the highlight of Halifax Rangers’ 4-3 victory over a St Columbas side who gave as good as they got for long periods and were unlucky to lose.

The game swung both ways after Kellett had scored two carbon-copy goals within the first 15 minutes to give Rangers a 2-0 lead lobbing the ball over the stranded keeper from outside the box from passes supplied by Grant Metcalfe and CJ Waddington respectively.

The home side certainly had the better of the first-half exchanges, with Kellett and Waddington being denied close range efforts and Johnny Meynell seeing his shot from 18 yards just clearing the far post.

But Rangers were rocked by goals by the visitors either side of the interval, the first from Josh Godfrey right on half-time, the equaliser being scored by Ahmad Yehyah, who ran through the Rangers defence before giving keeper Josh Ward no chance with a thunderous finish.

Midway through the second half, St Columbus took the lead when Scott Holmes’ header from a free kick looped in just under the bar, but without playing well, Rangers managed to turn things around, although they left it late.

With five minutes remaining, Metcalfe fired in first time through a crowded box from Andy Bowe’s long throw, and then he supplied the right-wing corner in the final minute from which Kellett headed firmly past the keeper for his third and Rangers’ winner.

Halifax Hammers Reserves kept up their hopes of a top three finish with a 4-2 victory over Ovenden Phoenix.

Faisal Saghir opened the scoring after a fine team move involving Hassan Ahmed and Awais Ashfaq.

Ovenden drew level through Josh Brown, but Hammers continued to play good football and Faisal Saghir scored again after some good work by Ishtiaq Ali and veteran Zumarad Ajab.

It was soon 3-1 with Wajid Nawaz hitting a sweet shot into the top corner, but Ovenden kept pushing men forward and scored through substitute Patrick Hellowell.

Birthday boy Usman Moghul then wrapped things up, making a run from his own half and beating the defence before hitting low drive into the bottom corner of the net.