Holders Carrington knocked out as Hammers set up final date with Waiters Arms

Actions fromthe cup semi final, Ryburn United v Waiters Arms, Ripponden Wood
Actions fromthe cup semi final, Ryburn United v Waiters Arms, Ripponden Wood

Waiters Arms will play Halifax Hammers in the final of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup on May 7 after the Premier Division’s top two came through hard-fought semi-finals.

Waiters reached their second cup final of the season after beating Ryburn United 4-2, while holders Carrington were knocked out by Hammers 3-1.

Waiters took the lead after 10 minutes when a corner landed at the feet of Oliver Brierley who prodded the ball into the bottom corner.

Ryburn didn’t fold though and won a penalty when Brierley went through the back of Jake Finch, but Finch put the penalty wide.

Waiters went straight up the other end and made it 2-0 when they were awarded a spot kick of their own when David Chappell was fouled. Colin Maguire sent Lewis Scott the wrong way. It was all Waiters at this point and when Chappell was sent clear by Grogan and rounded Scott to make it 3-0 just before the break it looked like curtains for Ryburn.

Ryburn were given a glimmer of hope when poor defending by Waiters’ pair Brierley and James Waggett and this allowed Macaulay Pincock to stab home from close range.

But substitute Kev Talbot set Chappell clear to again to make it 4-1.

Waiters saw out the last 10 minutes, despite a fine lob from Ryburn’s Jake Brown to make it 4-2.

Waiters manager Adam Fenton was pleased with the display, saying afterwards “Obviously I’m delighted to be in our second final of the season. The lads started well and that first half proved to be enough.”

Halifax Hammers gained a measure of revenge over Carrington, who beat them in last year’s final, with a 3-1 win to seal their place in the final.

Carrington almost opened the scoring in the first minute when Jay Carney went one on one against the Hammers keeper but Yasar Mohammad made a fine save to deny him.

After Sameer Ahmed was brought down on the edge of the box following a mazy run, Mohammed Ozair produced an outstanding strike to hand Hammers the lead.

Carrington keeper Craig Turnbull produced a fine reaction save to deny Terriq Pervez after he had fumbled a long range shot by Lamin Gitteh before Hammers had another great chance to increase their lead when Gitteh raced clear on goal but fired wide.

Former Hammers man Jasim Saleh’s free kick was brilliantly kept out by Mohammed to preserve Hammers’ lead going into half-time, while the keeper was on top form again to deny Matthew Jones’ powerful shot from range.

Hammers nearly doubled their lead with Mazn Amhamed hit a 35 yard free kick which whistled just past the post.

But their second goal did arrive when Gitteh dinked a shot over Turnbull with 20 minutes left.

Carrington’s hopes of a comeback were reduced when Jones was sent-off, but they got a goal back Dan Crossland was left unmarked at the back post to head in from corner.

Carrington weren’t releasing their grip on the trophy without a fight and went close to equalising through Josh Hiley and Leon Hurle, but with eight minutes remaining Pervez raced past his marker and put good ball into box for youngster Awais khan to hit a powerful shot into the bottom corner.

The only other game played on Sunday saw Mount Tabor draw 0-0 at home to Fountain Head in the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Invitational Cup.