Holme shoot down big guns in cup shock

Sunday league football - Woodhouse United v The Vine. Jonny Sutcliffe (left) for Woodhouse Utd and Jonny Caufield for The Vine.
Sunday league football - Woodhouse United v The Vine. Jonny Sutcliffe (left) for Woodhouse Utd and Jonny Caufield for The Vine.

Hollins Holme produced the shock result in the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA District Sunday Cup as the Division One side saw off Premier big boys FC Royal of Pellon 4-1 at Shroggs Park.

Holme are going great guns on all fronts this season having lost only once so far, and this victory was a testament to their hard work and appplication.

Royal had taken the lead but Holme showed great character and were level midway through the first half when Andy Butterworth’s free-kick from the right was fired in by George Bamford at the second attempt.

Bamford’s pace and the promptings of Jason Cartlidge in a 4-5-1 formation troubled Royal and their defence was pierced again when James Chadwick went through one on one with keeper Chris Moroney to make it 2-1 before the break.

Cartlidge was the instigator of Holme’s third when he released Jordan Dean and he too kept his nerve to beat Moroney.

Royal fielded a strong side and Holme had to defend well at times with Andrew Smith and Joe Gibson stepping up to the plate.

The victory was sealed in the final 10 minutes when Andrew Butterworth beat his man and took the ball round the keeper before squaring for Chadwick to slot home his second.

King Cross Sports were another senior side to be sent tumbling out by lower-ranked opposition in Waiters Arms.

The game finished 2-2 with Waiters going through 5-4 following a penalty shootout.

Premier Division leaders FC Bowling Green had to settle for a 5-0 win over Division Two side Ryburn Valley as they created and missed out on a hatful of other chances.

Valley defended resolutely and it took Green until the half hour mark to finally hit the net with Gary Ash poking home following a goalmouth scramble.

Ash then made it 2-0 after latching onto Jacob Travis’s flick on from a long throw before John Elliott broke the offside trap and lobbed the keeper for 3-0.

Valley showed some attacking intent after the break. However, Joe Swallow extended Green’s lead with a fine solo goal before substitute Ishtiaq Ali wrapped things up with the fifth.

FC Champs were another top-flight side to see off the threat from lower-division opposition with a 6-0 success over Beehine & Cross Keys.

Tony Hiley had an excellent game and netted four times in a routine win.

His first was a half volley from 20 yards and his second a free kick which he curled round the keeper.

Kai Hadley made it 3-0 and Hiley then beat the keeper to a cross for his hat-trick.

The same player then arrowed one into the top corner from 25 yards out leaving skipper Josh Hiley to add the finishing touches with a neat finish.

Division Two promotion hopefuls Ryburn United won more friends despite going down to a 6-2 defeat at Premier Division side Lee Mount.

Mount boss Lee Whitton was full of praise for Ryburn’s young side who started well and deservedly took the lead.

However, Callum Meade netted a first half hat-trick as the visitors eventually got on top, the striker going on to net four in the match.

Matthew Regan headed in from a corner to make it 4-1 and Meade added the fifth leaving Craig Gladwin to tap in after fine approach play. Ryburn added their second through a late penalty.

Carrington progressed to the next round with a 7-1 victory over Acton Athletic - but the emphatic scoreline was hard on the Division One side who gave a really good account of themselves.

Acton shot themselves in the foot in the first minute when their keeper took far too long with a clearance and Jay Carney was able to charge it down and the ball rolled into the empty net. Within a couple of minutes Carrington extended their lead, Damien Randall created space for himself out wide and his excellent cross was headed home at the far post by Liam Brook.

Carrington were now in full control and when Carney grabbed his second after 20 minutes the game looked to be as good as over. However, Acton started to get a foothold in the game and play some very good football. In the 25 minutes before half-time they were the better side and finally pulled a goal back just before the break.

The next goal was always going to be crucial and with Carrington dominating possession but Acton looking dangerous on the counter attack it could have gone either way. The first real opening fell to Acton but they were denied by a great save from Craig Turnbull and moments later Carney pounced again to secure his hat-trick.

Carney then grabbed another before Jordan Coduri and Randall completed the scoring, the latter a screamer from 25 yards.

Queens Head experienced few problems in booking their passage with a 6-0 win over Division Two outfit Hebden Bridge.

Queens were always in control but Bridge kept their heads up and played some decent football in patches in a game well refereed by Mike Sharman.

Queens opened up a 2-0 lead at the break courtesy of a Kai Hallwood double after good play from midfielders Gareth Sherwood and Gary Eastwood.

It was a smiliar story in the second half where Queens built on their advantage through Joe Bryson after the midfield had again done the spadework.

Anthony Fenwick then weighed in with a brace leaving Benjamin Steele to round off the scoring with a superb header.

Bradshaw claimed the honours in the Division One basement battle with a 6-5 victory in a roller-coaster of a game against Royd Club.

Royd started the better but it was 16 year old Brandon Field who put Bradshaw ahead.

The visitors pulled level with a goal from distance, Bradshaw keeper Wayne Camplin misjudging a free-kick that sailed over his head.

Royd then went 2-1 in front only for Robert Cochrane to make it 2-2.

The tit-for tat scoring continued with Royd edging ahead only to be pegged back before the break with another teenager, Isaac Nicholl, who had an excellent game, firing home from 30 yards.

Royd made it 4-3 following a length of the field move but Thomas Boyle pulled the home side level.

The visitors added a fifth which Cochrane cancelled out and with four minutes to go Boyle settled things by firing a free-kick into the top corner.

Hen’s Face are up to third in Division Two following an extraordinary 8-4 success over King Cross Park.

Hen’s went 4-0 up but Park rallied and pulled it back to 4-3 making for a nervous time for the home side.

However, they went on to score another four goals on the bounce before Park completed the scoring with a late free-kick.

Jimmy Smith and Jake Kennedy both netted twice for Hen’s with Aiden Bradley and Tom Smith also on target.