Keeper Taylor to the rescue

Glasshoughton Welfare 1

Brighouse Town 1

BRIGHOUSE Town keeper Tom Taylor rescued a point for his side with a dramatic late equaliser in their Northern Counties East League Premier Division clash at Leeds Road.

Five minutes of stoppage time had elapsed at the end of the game when Town won a corner. Taylor added his presence in the Glasshoughton box and thumped a brilliant header from Danny Naidole’s cross past counterpart Tom Draper to spark wild celebrations from his teammates.

Town started the game well with Naidole clipping a shot just over the crossbar in the first minute before Ernest Boafa did likewise from Joe Mitchell’s free kick into the box.

The visitors went on to enjoy plenty of possession, but struggled to break down a hard working Glasshoughton side who went on to take a 24th minute lead with their first real effort on goal. A through ball caught the Town defence out and Liam Radford finished well from the edge of the box.

Boafa then saw his header from Naidole’s cross come back off the crossbar before Town nearly fell further behind when Radford broke clear in the box again but was denied by a brilliant covering tackle by Leon Henry.

Manager Paul Quinn made a double substitution at half time, bringing Adam Wilson and Luke Gibson on for Ben Charlesworth and James Hurtley. Wilson’s slide rule pass into the feet of Boafa saw him turn on the edge of the box and pull a left foot shot wide after which good work from Boafa and Greg Porter created an opening for Gibson who hammered wide.

Tom Brown’s superb cross brought a great defensive header from Chris Hutchings to deny Boafa at the back post as Town piled on the pressure.

Quinn made his last change on 73 minutes when Porter was replaced by Ben Thornton.

Town carved out another chance when Gibson and Naidole fed Boafa and the powerful striker then made a chance for himself but again his shot was just off target.

With Town committing men forward in search of the equaliser, Glasshoughton broke but Andy Fieldhouse was denied by a brilliant goal line clearance by Thornton.

In the fifth minute of added time, Town forced a corner and sent all 11 players into the box. Naidole’s delivery was flighted perfectly and Taylor launched himself above the defence to power a bullet header past Draper who was rooted to the spot.