King Cross are ready for top of table clash

Ziggy’s A Star Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division: LEADERS King Cross CB&AC warmed up for their forthcoming top of the table clash with Royal Hotel by inflicting a 2-0 defeat on mid-table Bradshaw Phoenix.

A tight first half saw both sides play good football and it wasn’t until the second period when Cross introduced Steve Fullard and John Booth that they gained the upper hand.

The points were finally secured with goals from Nick Delaney and Dave Maguire as Cross took their unbeaten run to 11 games.

Royal, meanwhile, maintained their 100 per cent record with a 3-0 win at Halifax Hammers.

Andy Farrell’s side roared out of the blocks and left Hammers shell-shocked in the opening 20 minutes before taking the lead when Farrell beat two men and crossed for Dean Lawrence who nodded the ball down for James Dodd to complete the finish.

Hammers then took a turn in dominating and missed a couple of chances as Royal held on to their slender lead at the break.

Royal bucked their ideas up at the start of the second half and Dodd squandered enough chances to have put the game to bed.

Hammers responded again with Chris and Martin Woodhouse going close before Royal gave themselves breathing space when Farrell floated a cross into the box and Paul Friend looped his header over the keeper.

Martin Woodhouse again spurned a couple of chances to reduce the arrears before Royal made the game safe when Lawrence intercepted a back pass and beat the keeper for 3-0.

Royal will be keen to put one over the only team to have beaten them in the last season and a half as they have five games in hand on Cross and are nine points behind.

FC Bowling Green will be disappointed that they could not pick up maximum points with their 2-2 draw with lowly Shoulder FC (Northowram) pushing them down into third place.

Mount Tabor collected a huge three points as they did their battle to avoid relegation the power of good with a 3-2 success at fellow strugglers Falcon Pine.

New signing from Royal Hotel Martin Choppen put Tabor ahead but they were pegged back before Craig Fee edged them in front again with the second.

Pine levelled again and it needed a switch from Tabor boss Paul Greenwood to secure the win.

Greenwood changed to a 3-4-3 formation and brought Matty Helliwell on up front and it was the subsitiute who netted the winner with three minutes left.