King Cross celebrate title win with emphatic victory

Football - King Cross CB&AC celebrate winning the Ziggy's A Star Cars Halifax Sunday League
Football - King Cross CB&AC celebrate winning the Ziggy's A Star Cars Halifax Sunday League

IT was celebrations all the way as King Cross CB&AC rounded off their Premier Division season with a 3-0 success over long time rivals and previous holders Royal Hotel.

And to make the moment even sweeter, they also got their hands on the prized championship trophy at the end of the game - the first time the club have picked up the League’s premier silverware.

Boss Nigel Richmond was naturally delighted and paid tribute to the players that have served the club so well. He also insisted that King Cross would not be letting the grass grow under their feet and were also making plans on ways to retain the crown next season.

“Collectively, it has been a brilliant season,” said Richmond. “We set out to win the league and that is what we have done.

“It is a joyous occasion for the club and I think fully deserved.

“But we know that next season will be even harder and in that respect we are not going to sit on it. We already have plans and new players wanting to join so we will be looking to go for the title again.”

Although the title was already in the bag prior to kick off, this was no end of season game with Royal still looking to stay sharp and focused ahead of two upcoming cup finals.

However, the occasion still got too much for Royal’s Rob Gerrard and Tyson Illingworth of Cross who were sent off in a five minute spell midway through the first half for foul and abusive language and hitting out respectively.

Both sides created chances in an evenly-contested first half but neither could make the breakthrough.

That changed early in the second period when Cross broke from deep and John Booth squared the ball for Chris Hall to knock home.

It was then the turn of substitute striker Chris Barker to make his mark. He gave Cross more belief after coming on and fittingly scored the second goal in his last game before retiring.

That gave Cross valuable breathing space and they went on the cement their victory with John Booth beating a number of men before slotting home.

Elland Sports Reserves completed their second division season with an 8-3 victory over Halifax Rangers Reserves.

Craig Fletcher took the scoring honours with a hat-trick but the real star was Rangers keeper Mick Neville, who at the age of 63 played the full 90 minutes in what was his final appearance.

An emotional day saw Neville presented with two bottles of champagne from Elland Sports and a glowing testimony from Mel Owens of Rangers.

“You can’t put into words what Mick Neville means to a lot of people,” said Owens. “He is a great lad and an inspiration for any young players coming through.

“We have suggested to him that he ought to do a bit of goalkeeping coaching to help some of these players. He has been brilliant for Halifax Rangers.”

Rangers put on a bold showing and gained some measure of reward with goals from Sean Byrne, Mick Jones and Luke Watson

Stallions showed the potential they have in their ranks with an emphatic 8-3 home success over runners up Thornhill Briggs.

Paul Henderson’s side were enjoying a promising season until they reached the semi-finals of the West Riding Sunday Trophy after which the wheels fell off in spectacular fashion.

Royd Club were 3-1 winners over Rastrick while Triangle completed their campaign with a resounding 5-0 home success over Hebden Bridge.