Late goal secures valuable point

Luke Gibson
Luke Gibson

Brighouse Town 2 Athersley Rec. 2

A dramatic stoppage time equaliser from Adam Wilson earned Brighouse Town a deserved point in a highly entertaining game played in atrocious conditions.

Danny Naidole had Town’s first real attempt on goal with a free kick that just cleared the crossbar before they had a major shout for a penalty for handball turned down as the pressure grew on Athersley.

Jason Price, making his debut, did well to find Naidole who spread the ball wide to Ryan Hall whose cross was inches away from Luke Gibson sliding in at the back post of an open goal.

Town continued to make chances; Ryan Hall’s low shot following a throw-in was well saved by Shaun Penn, and from the resulting corner, Martin Allison had a goal bound shot blocked and Naidole fired the rebound over the top.

Ben Thornton was next to bring a save from Penn who again got down well to push the ball around the post before Naidole was again denied by brilliant defending as his shot was blocked for a corner.

Town’s dominance finally paid off when Wilson played the ball down the line for Price whose clever flick inside found Ryan Hall running onto the ball.

Hall skipped passed two challenges before returning the ball to Price who picked out Luke Gibson and his first time shot flew into the bottom corner.

Town had scare a couple of minutes before the break when Jason Bennett broke clear but Jacob Giles forced the Athersley winger to pull his shot wide.

That late chance was a warning that wasn’t heeded as Athersley equalised through Joe Thornton who latched onto a through ball and finished well.

Athersley had a lot more of the ball in the second half and Ben Thornton had to produce a brilliant goal line block.

However, within a minute, Athersley turned their increased possession into another goal. A break down the left wing caught Town short of numbers and Thornton drew the last defender before squaring the ball for the unmarked Lee Bennett to fire home.

Athersley were determined not to give up their lead and Ryan White threw himself in front of two goal bound shots from Hall and substitute Chris Fisher.

Town threw caution to the wind with big centre back Tyrone Gay playing up front for the final minutes and the Athersley goal was leading a charmed life.

Joe Jagger had a half chance that flicked wide of the goal and Leon Henry had a shot superbly blocked for a corner.

As the game entered time added on, Town threw one last assault on the Athersley goal and finally found a way through when Wilson received the ball on the edge of the box, confidently dummied a defender before hitting a sweet shot into the bottom corner of the net for a fine finish.