Late goal sends Town to defeat

Amthorpe Welfare 1

Brighouse Town 0

AN 83rd minute goal from James Walker condemned Brighouse Town to a narrow Premier Division defeat in South Yorkshire.

It was cruel on Paul Quinn’s side who deserved at least a share of the spoils.

The defeat sent Brighouse tumbling down to seventh in the table but Quinn, while disappointed, said he was not too downhearted with the result.

“We didn’t deserve to win but at the same time we didn’t deserve to lose either,” said the Town boss.

“I was talking to their manager after the game and we both agreed that a draw would probably have been a fair result.

“Both sides had chances and while I would say Armthorpe shaded the first half we arguably had the better of things after some harsh words at half-time so it was a bit deflating to concede a goal so late on.

“I felt we were a bit lacklustre in the first period. Maybe it was a hangover from the Nostell game, but we did create some good chances.

“I probably learned more about the squad during Saturday’s game that I did in the previous games and I still think we need to bring at least a couple of players in to give us some more strength in depth.”

Town made a good start with Danny Facey put through on goal only for the keeper to smother his shot.

Armthorpe responded with central defender Richard Smith heading wide from a corner and after Danny Hull had seen his first time shot blocked by a defender, the home side threatened again, Ben Imeson saving from Sam Jones before Adam Lee crashed a shot against the underside of the bar after Jones had set him up.

Town were unlucky just ahead of the break when Shane Hamilton outpaced the home defence and poked the ball past the advancing keeper but it rolled narrowly wide.

Hamilton’s pace brought him another chance early in the second half but he failed to hit the target.

Town then had a huge let off when Craig Morley’s cross gave Adam Lee a glorious chance but he headed over.

Steve Hollingworth headed a Naidole corner over the bar and James Sutcliffe’s dangerous cross didn’t find a colleague before a through ball from Danny Hull again saw Hamilton outpace the home defence but Green raced out of his box to clear the danger.

Midway through the half Town created three half chances in as many minutes - Hollingworth headed Naidole’s corner wide, another Naidole cross saw Facey shoot over from an acute angle and finally Facey’s strong run forced a corner which he took himself and Hamilton header wide.

Town continued to press and Facey and Danny Hull combined to set Hollingworth up, only be denied by a great save from Green. Facey brought a near post save from Green and from the resulting corner Nick Jagger’s header was cleared off the line with the Town players appealing the ball had crossed it.

That was the best Town could muster in the closing stages and they suffered the cruel blow with seven minutes remaining when Walker’s well-struck shot gave the home side maximum points.