Late goals bring relief for Ryburn

Ryburn United scored twice in the last five minutes to win 5-4 at home to old rivals Midgley United and maintain their Haslem Sheppard Halifax AFL title challenge.

Monday, 14th March 2016, 1:42 pm
Updated Monday, 14th March 2016, 1:46 pm
Football - Shelf Utd v Calder 76. Luke Davis for Shelf and Zac Greenwood for Calder.

Craig Walker’s side trailed 3-1 and 4-3 but Christian Silkstone’s third goal of the game gave them hope and then Andrew Butterworth put the ball into his own net for Ryburn’s winner.

One time title challengers Midgley were losing for the third game in a row but took heart from a much-improved display.

A Rob Stansfield header from a Greg Spink corner gave Midgley the lead after 15 minutes but Silkstone made the most of a rebound from ‘keeper Steve Butterworth to make it 1-1 at the break.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Midgley looked in the driving seat when Stansfield got his second following a free kick from Andrew Butterworth, who then scored from the spot after Toby Standring had been brought down by the ‘keeper.

Silkstone scored his second at the back post almost immediately and Macauley Peacock’s low drive made it 3-3.

Standring robbed the ‘keeper to put Midgley back in front but the visitors came under the cosh and were unable to hold on.

Ryburn remain six points behind Calder ‘76, from one game fewer, after the leaders had a fine 5-1 win away to Shelf United.

Calder took a 3-1 lead down the Shelf Park slope after falling behind to Oliver Coates’s firm header at a corner.

They peppered the home goal and missed two one-on-ones and hit the woodwork but still powered clear through Taylor’s firm finish, a Jon Gibson tap in and an own goal from Gav Fleming’s inswinging corner to the near post.

Shelf were in no mood to lie down and Warren Clayton made a couple of saves, including one very good one, before an eventful last 10 minutes.

Both sides had a goal ruled out for offside before Remi Allen rounded the home ‘keeper for 4-1 and Steve Jones’s deflected shot looped over the custodian.

Warley Rangers’ fourth draw of the season - by 1-1 at Northowram - dealt their outside title hopes a potentially fatal blow.

Ashley Ackroyd scored for the Rams and Tom Hiley for Rangers.

Greetland beat Copley 3-1 in a contest between two of the Premier Division’s bottom four.

Tom Neville netted for Copley and Tom Wall, Oliver Bagley and Danny Dorward for Greetland.

Mixenden’s home game against Holmfield was postponed when the visitors were unable to raise a side.

A single goal from Callum Cook was enough to enable Division One title favourites Illingworth St Mary’s to beat much-improved Sowerby Bridge.

Chasing pair Brighouse Sports and Sowerby United both won 9-0 at home.

Brighouse beat struggling visitors Salem 9-0 while Sowerby took advantage of Halifax Irish Centre, only having 10 men for the first half.

Fullback Josh Hiley netted his second hat-trick of the season for Sowerby and veteran striker Lee Barber scored twice after a late call-up.

The pick of the goals was a superb 25 yard volley from James Clegg and a glorious curling free kick from Oliver Smith.

Alex Healey and Dan Crosland completed the scoring against an Irish side who fought for the full 90 minutes with Lewis Parker outstanding.

A Toby Priestley hat-trick helped Denholme United win by 4-2 away to Elland Allstars.

Calder ‘76 Reserves let a 3-0 half time lead slip against Ryburn United Reserves, who fought back for a 4-4 draw.

Two games were called off because there was no referee: Midgley United Reserves versus Elland United in Division One and Sowerby Bridge Reserves versus Northowram Reserves in Division Two.

It was first versus second in Division Two and honours were even as Greetland Reserves and St Columba’s played out a 1-1 draw.

Saints continue to hold a nine point lead over their hosts but Greetland have four games in hand.

The visitors dominated for most of the first half but failed to turn their possession into clear cut chances. Both sides had goals disallowed for offside.

Neither keeper was seriously tested until the last 10 minutes.

Greetland took the lead after a break from youngster Ollie Hirst down the right and a powerful shot. The ball was parried into the path of George Bainbridge, who reacted quickest to prod home the 11th goal of his debut season.

There was a suspicion of handball in the build up to the goal and the frustration seemed to kick Saints into gear as they laid siege to the Greetland goal.

Joshua Bailes made fine saves from Ryan O’Neill and Jack Wilkinson and the pressure finally told when Jack Wilkinson finished through a crowd of bodies with the last kick of the game.

Illingworth St Mary’s Reserves put in a strong performance to win 8-1 away to a physical Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves side.

Saints started strongly and soon took the lead through youngster Bradley Madin’s 30-yard volley into the top corner.

Tom Kershaw finished well following a strong move down the right and Madin added a third moments later, before Cartwright put Saints 4.0 up at the break with a neat finish.

The second half was a similar story with 16-year-old Josh Langan dominating the midfield and it was no surprise when Cartwright added his second from a tight angle.

Substitute Robbie Wardle caused problems and deservedly added a sixth before an own goal and a tap in from Jamie Randall put Saints 8-0 up.

Hebden battled throughout and had the last word when Scott Clarke stabbed home in a goalmouth scramble.

Sowerby United Reserves maintained their progress with a 3-0 win away to Salem Reserves while Denholme United Reserves and Shelf United Reserves fought out a 3-3 draw.

Kyle Peel scored twice as Shelf FC won 3-1 away to AFC Crossleys Reserves.