Mount on the rise after fifth success

Actions from the game, Halifax Hammers B v King Cross Sports res at Savile Park.
Actions from the game, Halifax Hammers B v King Cross Sports res at Savile Park.

Lee Mount made it five wins from five in the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division with a hard fought 2-1 success against Halifax Hammers.

The first half was dominated by Hammers and they made Lee Mount pay after Terriq Parvez read a mis-placed pass to slot the ball at the near post. Hammers failed to capitalise from more chances with Ben Townsend making an unbelievable save to keep his side in the game as Mount managed to hold out until half time.

Five minutes into the second half boss Lee Whitton masterminded a tactical change with game changer Des Morris coming on.

With Gaukroger pulling the shots in the middle of the park with Aiden Scully, Mount began to run the show, Jack Normanton came on and scored within a minute with a mis-kicked pass from Morris landing at his feet and cooly finishing into the corner. Ten minutes later Callum Meade scored a peach into the top corner after a great pass from Jordan Ryder.

Lee Cartwright could have scored the goal of the game with a 40 yard shot that hit the crossbar.

“We know we have a team that can beat anyone on their day and hitting form at this point of the season will be crucial,” said Whitton.”

FC Bowling Green took another step towards reclaiming the title with a comprehensive 5-1 success over Feathers FC while Shoulder Northowram were left to rue missed chances in the first half against an Elland side with only 10 men for the first 30 minutes as they fought out a 4-4 draw.

Lee Worrall opened the scoring for Northowram when played in by the excellent Jake Baker, Conroy then added a second with a tap in from six yards.

Elland threatened to create chances with Glynn Haley pulling the strings in midfield and after 25 minutes they pulled one back through Carlton Balmer.

Lee Worrall once again took advantage of the Elland defence playing a high line and broke through to neatly claim his second after both himself and Chris Conroy had missed a hatful of chances.

Elland then scored again the run of play after good work from Nigel Dare. Northowram re-shuffled with Jonny Farrell leaving the pitch with an injury, Evan Price moving to right back and James Fearnley moving into centre of defence where he had an excellent game

Elland, with a full quota of players for the second half, were looking dangerous on the attack and equalised with a cross come shot which sailed into the top corner over ‘keeper Bunn.

James Hurtley hit the post with a header, but Jake Baker made it 4-3 to Shoulder and with around 15 minutes to go Elland got the equaliser after a mazy run from a midfielder left an easy finish for Carlton Balmer.

Both teams had chances to win the game but neither team could find that elusive fifth goal.

Old Pond continue to march on at the top of Division One following a 5-1 derby success over Rastrick BC

Pond, who lead the league standings by some margin, started off brightly with most of their good work going through Glen Lee who preserved his role up front following a fine performance last weekend.

It was Lee who opened the scoring on 14 minutes; Geoff Pitcher threaded a fine pass to the mercurial attacker who intelligently teed up his weaker foot and curled the ball home.

The match turned on the introduction of Pond’s substitutes, Paul Meredith in particular more than most weighing up the boggy conditions to turn the game Pond’s wayh.

Meredith recognised that a more direct approach was required and duly went route one to Paul Taylor who did the rest to make it 2-0.

Rastrick’s Brad Rufus broke on goal and despite being denied by another good Briggs smother still saw his side pull one back as Cullen fired home from the edge of the area.

Another Pond substitute then got in on the act as Michael Barlow received the ball from a corner and powered home to make it 3-1, instilling a late spurt of goals that left a chasm in the scoreline in no way reflective of the match.

Meredith went on to assist another two goals for Taylor.

Greetland Goldstars enjoyed a comfortable 3-1 victory over a Queens Head side who started with the bare 11 and then lost a player through injury.

Will Chadwick gave Goldstars a first half lead and that was doubled after the break with Niall Carrington netting from the spot.

Dave Oakes added a third to close the game out leaving Queens with just enough time to grab a late consolation.

Ryburn Valley also picked up three points from a 4-1 home success over Stallions.

Gareth Jones took the scoring honours with a hat-trick while Valley’s man of the match Tom May grabbed the other.

Stallions replied through Adrian Parkinson and they were also well served by Tom Hiley.

Oddfellows moved into second following a 5-4 success at Bradshaw while Triangle were 3-1 winners over Ryburn United

King Cross Park earned a hard fought 3-2 victory away at Halifax Rangers in Division Two.

Dean Hurrell opened the scoring for Park with a close range finish before Rangers hit back with two excellent counter attacking goals from Peter Bowe and Adam Rayner.

In poor conditions, Lee Barry’s cross was fumbled by the Rangers ‘keeper to leave the scores all level at the break.

As conditions worsened in a tight second half, a moment of individual skill won the game for Park with full back Gareth Hunter firing into the top corner from 30 yards.

North Bridge showed little mercy to Czech United as they romped to an 11-1 success.

Central defenders Andy Day and Sam Davidson were among the goals, Day notching a hat-trick and Davies two.

Striker Lee McCallion also netted as did fellow front man Wayne Crossley who bagged a brace.

Slater Barnes, Tyronne Hewson and Matthew Greenhough also scored in the rout.

Bridge had been 3-0 up at the break and after they added a fourth early in the second period the writing was on the wall for United.