Mount spring major shock

LEE Mount caused arguably the shock of the round with the Division One promotion-chasers seeing off the challenge from Premier Division side FC Shoulder Northowram 4-2.

Mount, who invariably lift their game against higher-ranked opponents, showed their cup pedigree again after reaching the semi-finals last season before bowing out to eventual winners, Royal.

Gareth Gaukroger put Mount ahead but a moment of hesitation in defence saw Shoulder to draw level.

Johnny Lymm restored the Division One side’s advantage but again sloppy work at the back allowed the visitors to equalise before half-time.

Once Johnny Lymm put Mount ahead for the third time there was no looking back as he went on to complete his hat-trick

FC Bowling Green were made to sweat on a wet morning in Mytholmroyd before securing a 4-1 victory against lowly FC Royd Club.

Premier League leaders Green rang the changes and unfamiliarity showed as the home side took the lead with an astonishing free kick, the score staying at 1-0 until the break.

A few choice words from manager Dan Taylor at half time sprang the visitors into action and they levelled through a Chris Dennison penalty after Gary Ash was fouled in the area.

John Elliott scored shortly after with a deadly touch and strike from close range and Gary Ash made it three with a tremendous individual effort. Josh Gill rounded up the scoring with a thunderous strike from 18 yards out.

Carrington Rangers beat Triangle 6-1 but the emphatic scoreline slightly flattered the Premier Division side.

Carrington created a few good chances early on with Jay Carney going close and Dick Hartley blazing one over the bar when it seemed easier to score. Mark Brown and Danny Alexander both rattled Triangle’s bar with strikes from distance but as the half wore on the Division Two side started to play some good football and looked dangerous on the counter attack, much of the play going through the impressive Chris Thompson.

Carrington finally made the breakthrough when defensive stalwart Alexander, playing in an unfamiliar central midfield role due to the absence of Robbie Graham and Liam Brook, threaded a delightful ball through for Nat Sloane who held off his marker strongly before sliding the ball home.

The second half started with both teams knowing that the next goal would be crucial and it was Carrington who got it, Carney scoring after good work from Matty Horsfall.

That goal knocked some of the stuffing out of the plucky visitors and Carrington soon added to their tally with Carney grabbing his second and the hard working Ste Binns spectacularly rifling the ball home from an acute angle out on the touchline.

Hartley then made amends for his early miss, scoring a great solo effort, before Sloane grabbed his second of the game. Triangle managed to score a late consolation which was the very least the deserved, Damien Cook drilling the ball past the despairing dive of Daz Turnbull from 25 yards.

The Vine put their difficult Premier Division form behind them with a 7-3 success over a talented Cock and Bottle side from Division One.

Both sides contributed to a good game which was well refereed by Wayne Cotton with Vine going ahead through Jordan Manning following a Michael Rigby flick-on.

Bottle deservedly pulled level before James Yates’s inswinging corner brought Rigby the first of his four goals.

Again Bottle hit back through Luke Stringer and then took the lead before Ashton Richardson made it 3-3 following a corner just before the break.

The Vine turned on the style playing up the hill and Richardson’s fine ball picked out Rigby who headed in for 4-3.

Bottle struggled at the set-pieces and when the keeper fumbled a corner Irfan Ifzal was on hand to poke the ball home.

It was left to Rigby to round things off, his third and fourth goals both coming from free-kicks.

Elland Sports took their expected place in the next round with an 8-0 home victory over Division One side Queens Head while FC Royal of Pellon saw off the brave challenge from lower-ranked Hollins Holme 4-2.

King Cross CB&AC were another top-flight side to ease through at the expense of lower league opposition following a 7-0 home success over Old Pond.