Mount take over at top after beating Green

Ma Bakers celebrate their cup win
Ma Bakers celebrate their cup win

Lee Mount made light work of previous leaders FC Bowling Green as they took over at the top of the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday Football League Premier Division with an emphatic 5-2 victory at Shroggs Park.

Gareth Gaukroger gave Mount the lead with a well placed free kick into the bottom corner past an unsighted Craig Lobley.

It didn’t take Green long to respond from a Ryan Brook free kick which hit the post and bounced back off unfortunate ‘keeper Liam Normanton for Ash Raynor to tap in on the line. Green then took the lead through Raynor when he beat the offside trap to slide the ball home.

The second half was a completely different story with Green rarely having a shot on goal as Lee Mount dominated the game.

Jack Normanton finished with a first time effort from a Fiander cross to make it all square before hitman Callum Meade stole the show with two fabulous goals to put Mount further in front.

The final goal came from a Gaukroger cross which hit Adam Sharp on its way into the box and rolled into the bottom corner.

Hollins Holme are level with Lee Mount at the top, although they were made to work hard for their 3-2 success at lowly Old Pond.

Holme had the better of the opening exchanges, but a defensive lapse allowed the home side to claim the lead before the break.

Holme had the slope in their favour in the second half and Rob Day wasted little time in levelling.

However, battling Pond went ahead for the second time only for Day to peg them back again on the hour.

George Bamford then headed Holme in front for the first time, but it needed a brilliant fingertip save from ‘keeper Glynn Caxton in the last minute to ensure Holme secured all three points.

Harvey Walsh grabbed both goals as Feathers beat Oddfellows 2-1 in a closely-fought game while the other top-flight game saw Halifax Hammers run out 4-3 winners at Elland Sports

Ryburn United maintained their 100 per cent record at the top of Division One with an emphatic 8-1 win at bottom club Hen’s Face.

Ryburn fielded a number of new faces and look to have better strength in depth this time around.

Face did not help their cause when they had a man sent off when 2-0 down with their only goal coming from a second half penalty, rightly awarded by the young female referee who had a good game.

Alex Coburn and Joe Thompson each scored a hat-trick with Ed Cockroft netting twice.

Ryburn Valley rocked second placed Mount Tabor by 4-1 to record their second league win of the campaign while Rastrick BC opened their account with a 2-1 win at third-placed Triangle.

Halifax Rangers and Weavers shared the honours with a 2-2 draw in their Division Two clash.

It was Rangers who made the breakthrough with Josh Skinner setting upp Grant Metcalfe who finished clinically.

Weavers, however, always posed a threat and they equalised with a well taken goal by Chris Stanton. The visitors then enjoyed the lions share of possession and created the better chances in the last 20 minutes of the first half.

Rangers regrouped in the second half only to rue a succession of missed chances, Metcalfe was unlucky to hit the post then see agile Weavers ‘keeper Pete Webster tip another effort onto the bar, while Aiden Hill saw a header fly narrowly wide.

With 20 minutes remaining, Weavers were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box and sub Gavin Martin found the top corner superbly.

However, Rangers hit back and when Metcalfe sprung the offside trap he ran through to level the scores and give Rangers a deserved point from a match played in a competitive spirit and well refereed by Tony Bennett.

King Cross Park and Beehive & Cross Keys served up a 10-goal thriller which finished with honours even while Plummet Line collected their first three points of the season with a 5-1 hammering of North Bridge Reserves.

The remaining game saw bottom club St Columbas get their campaign up and running with a 5-3 home success over Ovenden Phoenix.

League new boys Brown Cow FC Halifax progressed to the second round of the Springfield Camping Cup after running out 4-1 winners over Old Pond Reserves.

Brown Cow opened the scoring early with an excellent ball over the top to put Ryan Carney through and he calmly slotted home. The second came not long after when Kyle Tyers rose above the Pond defence to head home.

After some good football In the middle, Brown Cow struck again after an excellent ball into the box from Thomas Robinson found Ryan Carney at the back post to slot home his second.

Old Pond Reserves pulled one back after a brilliant run ended with a fantastic cross and headed finish. Not long after Brown Cow won a free kick in a dangerous position which Scott Carney lifted over the wall and into the back of the net to round off an excellent game of football.

Ma Bakers gained revenge for the previous week’s league defeat by beating Halifax Hammers Reserves 2-1 to book their place in the second round.

Both teams were much changed for this game with Hammers missing at least five players for various reasons.

Ma Bakers self proclaimed star player, Jordan Parnell, was out injured so the game was always going to be different from the previous encounter.

Within a minute Danny Kerry had the first shot for Ma Bakers. The first half was very much one way traffic with Ben Hartley, Danny Kerry, Kieron Cassidy and David Woofenden dominating play with quick interchanging passes and leaving Hammers chasing shadows.

Hammers ‘keeper Chris Arnold did his best to keep the wave after wave of attacks out but he was helpless in the 22nd minute when a defence splitting pass by David Woffenden left Danny Kerry one on one with the keeper and he finished into the corner for 1-0.

Just as half time was approaching Danny Kerry sent over a hopeful cross which was headed in by Kieron Cassidy to double Ma Baker’s advantage.

Hammers manager Zumarad Ajab’s half time team talk had the desired effect as his side went on to dominate the second half.

within five minutes of the restart Ish Ali went on a mazy dribble, beating three players and finishing past David Sutton to make it 2-1 and game on. Atif Hussain and Waj Nawaz started to cause all sorts of problems for the Ma Bakers defence and forced some smart saves from David Sutton.

The injured Waj Nawaz was brought off and Bilal Sharaz came on, bringing a new weapon to Hammers attack with his long throws.

Awais Haroon had three amazing dribbles where he beat a number of players but David Sutton was equal to each before referee Mike Sharman called time on a fine game that was a credit to both sides.