Nine-man Mixenden emerge with point

Actions from Brighouse Sports v Calder 76, at Lane Head, Brighouse. Pictured is Ben Oakland and Charlie MarshallActions from Brighouse Sports v Calder 76, at Lane Head, Brighouse. Pictured is Ben Oakland and Charlie Marshall
Actions from Brighouse Sports v Calder 76, at Lane Head, Brighouse. Pictured is Ben Oakland and Charlie Marshall
Mixenden United continued their promising start to life in the Halifax AFL’s top flight with a 1-1 draw away to a Midgley United side expected to be pushing for honours.

However, last year’s Division One runners-up finished with nine men after having Scott Cartman and Martin Woodhouse dismissed in the last 10 minutes.

Mixenden, who had beaten Shelf in their opener, hit the post in a competitive first half which finished goalless.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Midgley took the lead with an Andrew Butterworth penalty but Martin Woodhouse equalised up the slope for the visitors when Martin Woodhouse was put through by Damian Randall, whose effort went in off an upright.

There were some heavy tackles after that. Cartman got a straight red and Martin Woodhouse picked up a second yellow in the closing moments.

Calder ‘76 continued their superb, free-scoring start with a 6-2 home win over a Copley United side playing their first game of the season.

They roared into a 6-0 lead, having been boosted by early goals from Steve Jones, who ran through the middle from half-way, and then Ricky Topham, who produced a fantastic lob from the edge of the area.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Topham went on to complete a hat-trick, taking his tally to seven in three games, while Jones bagged his second and sub John Moynes also got on the scoresheet.

Home boss Rob Kenworthy made changes and Copley found their feet, Gary Ash and the impressive James Bugler hitting back.

Ryburn United started their bid to go one better than last season with a 4-1 home win over Hebden Royd Red Star, Christian Silkstone and Alex Austin scoring two each with Mark Bradbury replying.

Holmfield and Northowram, like Red Star, are also yet to pick up a point.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Holmfield lost 2-0 away to Warley Rangers, Macaulay Nortcliffe and Edward Brigg getting the goals.

Northowram lost 3-0 at home to derby rivals Shelf United, who never looked back after Harry Talbot had given them the lead with a cracking shot.

Adie Balding headed a second before half time from a Billy Grogan free-kick and Rob Shaw flicked home a third from a near post corner.

Home ‘keeper James Bunn had good saves early and late in the match for a disappointing Northowram side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Sowerby United made it three wins out of three in Division One and produced their best display so far in a 5-1 success at Elland Allstars.

Fullback Andrew Wadsworth saw two long range efforts go narrowly wide before hitting a post with a 20-yarder.

James Clegg had better luck when he curled a delightful shot into the corner.

A Ben Attle penalty doubled the lead and Dan Boyd, Harvey Walsh and Jorge Westin-Pearson also hit the target.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ben Hiley and Jake Allott shone in defence for Sowerby while Mick Cattermole played well for Allstars, who got some reward through Sowerby old boy Steve McNamara’s quickly taken free kick with the last kick of the game.

A Danny Moralee hat-trick was only enough to earn Denholme United a point in a 4-4 home draw with Halifax Irish.
Malin Mallinson and Martin Boon got the goals which helped Elland United make it two wins out of two in a 2-1 success away to AFC Crossleys.

Promoted Brighouse Sports thumped Calder ‘76 Reserves 5-1 in the Saturday game in this division.

New side Illingworth St Mary’s Reserves made it two wins from two with a hard fought 4-2 win over Sowerby United Reserves in Division Two.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Sowerby raced into a two goal lead. Callum Huggon scored form the spot and Connor McGow’s shot was misjudged by ‘keeper Tony Clarke.

Illingworth hit back through Tom Kershaw’s long range effort and Tom Mcgregor hauled them lev in the second half before Robbie Wardle’s fine strike and Mcgregor’s great finish completed the comeback.

St Columbas beat Greetland Reserves 5-4 in an entertaining game at Savile Park.

Saints were two up inside 20 minutes with Ben Caldwell and Vinny O’Shea cashing in on good build-up play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Greetland netted either side of O’Shea’s second to make it 3-2 at half time.

The sides exchanged penalties before Caldwell got on the end of a flowing move to finish at the second attempt.

Greetland got their fourth with 10 minutes left but Saints held on to make it three wins from three.

Nathan Sloan’s hat-trick helped AFC Crossleys Reserves beat Salem Reserves 5-3 while Northowram Reserves also won on the road, by 3-2 against Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves.

Related topics: