Oddfellows beat rivals to go top

Alex Yates for Rastrick and Jordan Dean for Hollins Holme.
Alex Yates for Rastrick and Jordan Dean for Hollins Holme.

Oddfellows took full advantage of an under-strength Old Pond side to lift themselves to the top of the Division One table following a 4-0 success over their title rivals.

However, Oddfellows stalwart Adrian Quick was swift to play down his side’s chances of claiming the title as he believes third-placed Hollins Holme have a better run in.

Holme, who beat Rastrick Bowling Club 3-1, have two games on Oddfellows and are six points behind.

“We have struggled to field a full team all season so in that respect we have done well,” said Quick. “It would be nice to win the title but Hollins Holme have got those games in hand and I believe an easier run in.

“But we will keep plugging away and hope that they slip up.”

Pond had four or five regulars missing but with Richard Dawson and Glen Lee prominent for the home side, Oddfellows struggled to break them down.

Chris Swaine missed two or three decent chances before finally putting the visitors ahead before the break.

It was a different story in the second half once Jack Rice had tucked away a penalty after Swaine had been fouled in the area.

Oddfellows went on to win comfortably with Aaron Green scoring twice in the last 15 minutes.

Royd Club gave themselves a fighting chance of avoiding the drop with a surprise 3-1 success over fourth-placed Greetland Goldstars.

Royd went into the game knowing nothing less than three points would do and they started brightly.

James Yates went through following an interception but placed his shot wide of the post. Five minutes later a free kick was drilled into the box by Ben Fairburn and a Greetland defender headed the ball into his own net.

Greetland responded with a breakaway goal before Royd went in front again when a long throw from Yates was again headed in for an own goal. Matt Bleasdale and James Megson worked hard to close the midfield down and this paid off just before half time when Megson released Yates whose ball into the box evaded everyone and crept in at the back post.

The second half was a close encounter but Royd Club closed the game out and were good value for the win.

Triangle overcame a stern fightback from Ryburn United to record a 2-1 win

Triangle took a two goal lead into half time going down the slope courtesy of Dan Pummell and Danny Watson.

Ryburn pulled one back early in the second half, but could not make their pressure count.

Queens Head secured three points from a 6-4 success over bottom of the table Stallions.

Although Queens dominated they fell behind three times before going on to claim the win.

Luke Eastwood netted a hat-trick with Joe Bryson scoring from a cheeky back heel.

Jordan Peel made it 5-4 leaving Martin Cannon to add the sixth from the penalty spot after Simon Coffey had been felled.

Engineers were left looking nervously over their shoulders at the Premier Division trapdoor following a 3-0 home defeat by Halifax Hammers.

Engine are third from bottom and five points ahead of Feathers who have played a game more.

The home side started brightly and had a few chances to take the lead but were kept out by some fine defending and ‘keeper Hussain Farooq.

Hammers went ahead through a good move down the left hand side with Wajid Nawaz setting up Ahsan Farooq who scored from close range.

Engineers were a threat from set pieces and Nick Caufield was unlucky when his effort hit the bar.

The visitors doubled their lead early in the second half when Ahsan Farooq and Kashif Akmal combined to put skipper Irfan Afzal through and he hit a sweet shot into the top corner.

Both sides had further chances and just before the end Wajid Nawaz scored from just inside the area to complete the game which was well refereed by Ian Childs

The Feathers v Carrington game was abandoned after an hour following an injury to one of the Feathers players.

It was feared that the player had suffered a serious knee injury and the game was held up while an ambulance was called.

In the end he was taken to hospital by car where tests showed that the injury was not as serious as first thought.

The incident is likely to be discussed by the league management committee who will decide whether the game will be replayed.

The other game in the top flight saw Waiters Arms inflict a 2-0 defeat on relegated Mount Tabor.

King Cross Park secured their place in the League Cup semi final with a 4-2 victory over Hen’s Face.

Despite losing both league meetings between the two sides this season, Park ran out deserved winners with a polished performance against their promotion-bound opponents.

After a cagey opening, Park began to dominate and took a deserved lead. Captain Tom Stacey found Si Ward wide on the right with an exquisite pass, and Ward then put it on a plate for the unmarked Mike Barker to head home at the far post.

Hen’s Face almost levelled with a free kick only to see man of the match Jordan Radcliffe make an outstanding acrobatic save to divert the ball around the post.

Hen’s Face came out fighting in the second half, and levelled soon after the restart. Park failed to deal with a corner allowing Dan Joyce too much time in the box and he stabbed the ball home from 12 yards.

The celebrations were cut short as Sam Dunkley retook the lead for Park; his shot proving too powerful for the ‘keeper after great build up play by Si Ward.

The goal lifted Park spirits and they were soon further ahead when a defensive mix up left Chris Leigh with the simplest of finishes to make it 3-1. Hen’s Face were then awarded a penalty, to the bemusement of the Park players, and Sean Byrne dispatched the spot kick to make it 3-2.

Justice was done however, when soon after Si Ward was clattered by the Hen’s Face keeper. Referee Adam Bennett pointed to the spot and Ward picked himself up to smash the ball into the top corner.

The fourth goal knocked the wind out of Hen’s Face, and dogged defending from Park in the last 20 minutes helped them see out the result.

Bradshaw are also through to the last four where they will meet fellow Division One side Queens Head following a 7-1 demolition of Division Two side Hebden Bridge.

Tom Boyle netted twice to give Bradshaw the early advantage with Chris Woodhouse adding a third.

Bridge pulled a goal back but it was business as usual for Bradshaw as man of the match Boyle added another two to take his tally to four.

Steve Cochrane added the sixth from the penalty spot with Robbie Cochrane rounding things off.