Old Boys up to second in table after securing 11th win in a row

BRIGHOUSE Old Boys extended their winning run to a club record 11 matches with a deserved 2-1 success at high flying Robin Hood in Division One of the West Yorkshire League.

In a feisty encounter, Robin Hood set out their stall to disrupt Brighouse’s smooth passing game and limit the options of midfield trio Reece Bray, Damian Place and Jimmy Cummings.

This worked well for 20 minutes and Robin Hood opened the scoring from a long ball, the home centre forward placing the ball past the despairing clutches of Jason Hibbert.

Brighouse got back into the game, the home team keeper slipping and mis-kicking the ball straight to forward Rob Kenny, who rounded two men before smashing the ball home.

Brighouse started to take charge with captain James Fletcher winning the majority of headers against the towering Hood centre backs and tackling back to regain possession.

Kenny went close from an acute angle and it was 1-1 at the break.

The game was then evenly balanced but Brighouse were looking the more dangerous on the attack.

The winner came when Fletcher headed the ball across to Kenny, who skilfully floated a header over the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Robin Hood came back strongly. A shot from point blank range was tipped over by Hibbert and a cross which dribbled across the six yard box came back off a post but Brighouse held on to go second.

Brighouse Old Boys Reserves suffered a third defeat of the season to Leeds City Reserves, losing 1-0 at home in the quarter finals of the West Yorkshire Alliance League Trophy

In a tense contest, Brighouse lined up with the a 4-5-1 formation with the objective of winning the midfield.

Neil Fitzjohn, Paul Taylor and Mike Wadsworth were tenacious and strong in the tackle, supported by wide men Martin Newham and Glen Lee who were turning the visitors defence with their strong running.

Marko O’Boyle’s powerful header from Graeme Tait’s corner just cleared the bar and Adie Kelly was thwarted by a last ditch tackle.

The visitors responded but Old Boys finished the half in the ascendancy, Taylor and Newham being denied by brilliant saves and penalty claims for a foul on Newham being waved away.

City had more of the play in the second half grabbed the all important goal on 65 minutes in controversial circumstances.

‘Keeper Joe Stead appeared to be barged over by the Leeds centre forward as he went to collect a cross, the ball breaking to Sean Fitzpatrick who fired home from close range.

Brighouse made changes and pushed three up front but to no avail.