Premier rivals secure cup final showdown

Sam Taylor for Royd Club and Joel Eckers for North Bridge.
Sam Taylor for Royd Club and Joel Eckers for North Bridge.

Premier Division rivals Carrington and Elland Sports will contest the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup after both secured handsome semi-final victories.

Elland saw off the challenge from fading FC Bowling Green while Carrington were resounding winners over Lee Mount

Elland boss Rick Thomas feared the worst after half of his team had been out the previous night celebrating a Saturday League cup semi-final win.

However, he still managed to field a full team and three substitutes for the clash with Green at Old Earth.

Conditions were far from ideal as both sides struggled to play good football.

Elland got on top and as they pushed forward they won a free kick which Dene Heppenstall finished after a deflection.

Green pressed and after getting in the box Chris Green brought Dean Lewis down with Sam Taylor equalising from 12 yards

Elland were quickly up the other end and after a scramble in the box the ball fell to Chris Green who scored through two players’ legs.

Elland continued to have the majority of the half only for Green to grab an equaliser just before half time

Green started the second half slightly on top until a Gareth Sherwood wind-assisted free kick flew into the top corner

This relaxed Elland and it showed with an own goal by Green and a Vaughan Boon finish completing the win.

Carrington progressed with a 9-2 win over Lee Mount at Trinity Academy.

The home side were playing into a howling wind in the first half but got off to the best possible start when Jay Carney dispossessed a defender and raced clear to score after only ten seconds.

Lee Mount applied some pressure but some good defending from Chris Hall and Liam Brook kept them out and they fell further behind when Carney grabbed a second.

Jordan Pettifor found the top corner with a great strike from outside the area to get Mount back in it but Jordan Coduri quickly restored the two goal cushion from the penalty spot.

Carney sealed his hat-trick with a superb lob from the right hand side of the box and then Coduri finished well, after good work from Matty Jones.

Damian Randall scored the goal his performance deserved early in the second half before Carney slammed home his fourth.

Leon Hurles-Brook then side footed home after cutting in from the right and soon after Coduri sealed his hat-trick with a neat finish.

Pettifor completed the scoring with a late consolation goal for Mount.

Waiters Arms beat District Cup winners Halifax Hammers 3-2 in an evenly fought Premier Division contest.

Both teams knocked the ball around well on the carpet like surface at Calderdale College, but it was Waiters who dominated the early chances with Dave Chappell and Billy Grogan both seeing one on one chances well saved.

But from one of these saves Waiters got a corner which Grogan landed straight on the head of Captain Ash O’Shea and he finished well off the underside of the bar.

Waiters continued to miss chances, and this was to cost them as Mohammed Ozair broke through just before half time and squared for Abu Bakar to slot home.

Hammers started the second half strongly but Waiters held firm with Jonny Farrell and Freddie Bottomley outstanding at the back, and when Veteran Adam Fenton won a free kick 25 yards out James Waggett curled a beauty in to the top corner.

It looked like Waiters would hold out despite Hammers hitting a post and Lee Wood making two brilliant saves, but then after a corner was cleared Hassan ran on to the ball and leathered it into the top corner from 30 yards.

Despite only two minutes remaining Waiters didn’t give up and with a big punt down field from Wood, Dave Chappell raced clear to finish past the keeper to give Waiters the victory and cement a top five finish.

Hollins Holme put relegated Oddellows to the sword with a 10-0 win.

Andy Butterworth and George Bamford both secured hat-tricks as Joel Booth’s side all but cemented second place in the top tier.

A positive result against Old Pond on Sunday will see them do just that - an outcome Booth would have taken at the start of the campaign having won promotion last time around.

James Chadwick headed Holme in front with Butterworth opening his account from the edge of the area.

Chadwick added the third after good build up play with Joe Fielding making it 4-0 when his attempted cross floated into the net.

Butterworth was brought down and scored from the spot after which Bamford netted from close range to bring the half time scoring to an end.

After a steady opening to the second half, Butterworth secured his hat-trick with a close range header before Bamford netted twice in quick succession for his treble as the lead rose to 9-0.

There were five minutes remaining when James Cowans headed goalwards from a corner with the ball going in off a defender’s head.

Royd Club gave their Division One survival hopes a massive shot in the arm with a 5-2 success over North Bridge.

Royd occupy the second relegation place, however a point from their final two matches should be enough to keep them up.

Their next game is at second placed Mount Tabor on Sunday before they finish their season at home to already relegated Rastrick Bowling Club.

Remi Allen netted twice to give Royd Club a decent lead before Matthew Skinner put through his own goal from a corner for 2-1.

Sam Taylor added a third for Royd before the break then netted again in the second half to open up a 4-1 lead.

An injury to Justin Roberts saw Royd go down to 10 men and Bridge pulled a second goal back with a fine strike.

The home side continued to battle and secured the points with second half substitute Ben Fairburn on target.

Champions Ryburn United were brought back to earth with a bump as Queens Head romped to a 7-1 success.

It was no more than Queens deserved with the three points going some way to easing their relegation fears.

Lee Brear set them on their way with Anthony Fenwick and Jordan Peel also netting before the break.

Ryburn upped their game in the second half without really threatening a comeback.

Peel and Fenwick added to their tallies to make it 5-0 before Ryburn grabbed a consolation.

Peel went on to claim the man of the match award with a further two goals to take his tally in the game to four.