Rampant Ryburn crush Cross

James Redman was a scorer for Calder
James Redman was a scorer for Calder

Ryburn United blitzed hosts King Cross Warley 9-2 to advertise their Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL title credentials on Saturday.

“We were bang on form,” confirmed boss Craig Walker, who saw goal machine Christian Silkstone score six times.

Ryburn were 4-0 up after 20 minutes, Silkstone getting three of them and Owen Wilkinson the other from close range.

Alex Coburn set up three of the early goals with ‘keeper Ash Rayner’s long kick paving the way for the other, scored by Silkstone.

Silkstone then made it 5-0 but Tom Hiley scored with excellent free-kicks either side of half-time to boost King Cross.

However, Ryburn re-established control and Silkstone made it 6-2 before Ashton Richardson added to the tally with a sweet half-volley.

Silkstone’s sixth came from the penalty spot and substitute James Lawton crashed a 25-yarder into the top corner to complete a memorable win for Ryburn.

Victory took them above Stump Cross - who were in cup action - and into second place, but Midgley United stayed two points ahead of them with an impressive 5-2 success away to and Elland United.

Dean Lawrence twice put Elland ahead, cashing in on poor defending to score with a free header from a free-kick and then when allowed space in the six-yard box.

Ian Hudson’s excellent volley in between Lawrence’s goals kept Midgley in the hunt up to half time at Stainland Rec.

Midgley took control up the hill and played some decent football in poor conditions.

Rob Stansfield had been sent up front, after George Bamford had gone off injured, and he made it 2-2 with an excellent left-foot strike.

Stansfield gave Midgley the lead from close range and a brace from James Adey took the visitors clear, Adey missing a golden chance to complete a hat-trick.

The derby match between Hebden Royd Red Star and Calder ‘76 finished 3-3 with Red Star picking up a vital point in their survival quest.

In poor conditions, Calder had the upper hand for the first 30 minutes and went 2-0 up.

James Redmond struck after ‘keeper Sainey Torray had been unable to hang on to the ball and Jonny Gibson got the second after good work from James Megson.

Red Star then showed more fight than they had in the recent reverse fixture, which they lost 4-1.

Boss Dave Whitehouse made a couple of changes involving Ed Harvey and Chris Garbutt and Lewis Cockroft raced clear from Pat Thomas’s pass to narrow the deficit before half time.

Red Star answered Whitehouse’s call for them to play with passion and after the dangerous Sam Talbot had headed them level, Cockroft got his second to leave the home side hopeful of a much-needed three points.

However, Calder made changes of their own to stem the tide and when Star were unable to clear a swirling cross Megson salvaged a point for the visitors.

The day’s other scheduled derby in the top fight, between next-to-bottom Sowerby Bridge and Sowerby United, was postponed.

Holmfield missed an opportunity to leapfrog Bridge when they drew 2-2 with one-time title contenders Greetland, who were ending a five-game losing run.

Gareth Gaukroger maintained his good scoring sequence for Holmfield and Dean Barratt got their other with Dave Woffenden and Darryl Camp replying.

Wadsworth United could be in danger of folding after failing to raise a team for Saturday’s Division One game away to Volunteer Arms.

United have had a couple of promotions in recent years but they are in the relegation zone this time.

Club spokesman Keiron Sim admitted that there had been a dip in interest and the club’s future was in doubt with only half a dozen players available last weekend.

With the Ryburn Reserves versus Denholme United game postponed, only two matches went ahead in the section.

In the most significant of them, Shelf United continued their pursuit of runaway leaders Northowram with a 5-1 win away Greetland Reserves.

In awful conditions, Shelf did the hard work in the first half, building up a 4-0 lead.

Winger Joe Griffin got their first after a mazy run and Mark Hindle’s bullet header doubled the lead against his former club.

Winger Griffin extended the advantage and it was virtually game over when Jonny Lister headed the ball across the goal from Jonathan Farrell’s free-kick and Danny Thornton finished.

Andy Hurcombe beat the offside trap and got one back with 20 minutes to go before Griffin completed his hat-trick.

Salem boosted their hopes of finishing third with a 3-2 home win over Elland Allstars, Lee Worrall (two) and Tom Neville getting their goals and Chris Haigh bagging two in reply.

AFC Crossleys and Spring Hall Celtic, the top two in the second division, both won away.

Crossleys had a scare before emerging 5-3 winners away to Midgley Reserves, who were 1-0 and 2-1 up before individual defensive errors cost them dearly.

Chris Gladwin scored twice for Crossleys, who were much better in the second half.

Spring Hall Celtic bounced back from their West Riding Trophy semi-final defeat in midweek with an 8-0 win away to Shelf United Reserves, Matty Waller getting four of their goals.

Third-placed Mixenden missed a host of first half chances away to Calder ‘76 Reserves and had only a Martin Woodhouse goal to show for their efforts.

However, they pulled clear after the break for a 3-0 win with a well-placed shot from Mark Machon and a deserved goal from their man of the match Danny Johnson.

The Luddenden Foot pitch held up well to the heavy rain and referee Wayne Cotton had a good match.

Sowerby United Reserves picked up only their fourth point of the season when they drew 1-1 at home to King Cross Warley Reserves.

A very even first half finished goalless and both sides then tried hard to master deteriorating conditions.

Warley had Paul Burke and Chris Charnock at the top of their games and the visitors went ahead when substitute Ash Drake was put through to hit the opener into the corner of the net.

Sowerby rallied, with Chris Walker and Alex Haggerty impressing, and the speedy Harvey Walsh broke clear to finish in style.

Both sides went close to grabbing a winner in a game well refereed by Peter Bowe.

Denholme United Reserves boosted their survival hopes with a 5-3 win at home to a 10-man Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves side at Foster Park.

The visitors were 2-0 up but ran out of steam, Michael Sharp scoring twice in Denholme’s revival.

In Division Three, Savile Arms completed their league programme with a 4-1 home win over Shelf FC, Kerry Muncaster scoring twice.

Champions Brighouse Sports could win the title by an 11-point margin, having beaten St Columbas 4-3 in their penultimate game on Saturday.

Stump Cross powered into the final of the Skircoat Green Physiotherapy Challenge Cup with a 5-0 thrashing of Copley United at West Vale on Saturday.

Leading scorer Damian Watkins bagged four goals and Sam Hiley got the other as they earned a date with Sowerby United at the Shay on Thursday, May 1.