Rangers lead tributes to former player Mick

Dean Heppenstall of Elland and Ben Hiley  from FC Champs battle for the ball.
Dean Heppenstall of Elland and Ben Hiley from FC Champs battle for the ball.

Football was the last thing on the minds of the players from Hens Face and Halifax Rangers as they took to the field for their Division Two clash following the passing the previous day of Rangers legend Mick Neville.

Hens face were the Halifax Rangers first team of last season and many of their players and officials knew the former goalkeeper, who had a 20+year association with the club, well.

All teams in the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League paid tribute to Mr Neville before their matches, but nowhere was the scene more moving than on Savile Park when all the teams who played there converged on the pitch used by Rangers to show their respect with a minutes applause.

Mel Owens of Halifax Rangers, who was a close friend of Mick Neville’s over many years, said that the day had been difficult adding: “Nobody was bothered about the game really.

“It was very emotional and we struggled to get interested in the match to be honest.

“It was the same all over Savile Park. Games were played in a very muted atmosphere. The results weren’t important.”

His words were echoed by Hens Face player-boss Craig Holdsworth who added: “It wasn’t about the game - it was all about Mick.”

For the record, Hens Face won 7-4 to consolidate third place behind Rastrick Bowling Club and Ryburn United, who went top courtesy of a 6-1 success at King Cross Park.

Jimmy Smith netted five for Face with Aiden Bradley and Adam Burke also on target. Pete Bowe, Greg Austin and Shaun Kellett were among the Rangers scorers.

Ryburn had a number of regulars missing for their game so pulled in some young players who proved too slick for Park.

They also took the chances that came their way with Lewis Cockroft helping himself to a hat-trick.

Alex Coburn also netted while newcomers Tom Bryson and Matthew Brearley also got their names on the scoresheet.

Stubbing Wharf eased towards mid-table respectability with an 8-0 success at Beehine & Cross Keys.

It was only 2-0 at the break but Wharf flexed their muscles after the interval to run out comfortable winners.

Aaron Glover, Dean Ellis and Andy Cousen netted twice with Keiron Bannister and an own goal making up the rest.

Greetland Goldstars and The Vine Reserves shared 12 goals while Hebden Bridge were 7-3 winners over North Bridge.

FC Royal of Pellon picked up a welcome three points in the Premier Division after securing a 3-2 win at The Vine.

Both teams started with nine men and it was Royal who took the lead through Jake Wood.

Vine had 11 players on the pitch when the visitors doubled their lead through Michael Gerrard and it was 11 v 10 when Rob Gerrard made it 3-0 from the penalty spot ahead of the break.

Royal managed to find an other player to take their complement up to 11, but it was Vine who took the bull by the horms with Chris Silkstone pulling one back from 25 yards after which Michael Rigby made it 3-2 to set up a nervy finish.

Steve Campbell and Adam Probets both scored twice as Shoulder FC Northowram saw off a spirited second half fightback from King Cross Sports to seal a 6-3 win.

It was one way traffic in the first half as Shoulder made all the running, but a host of missed chances meant they went in at the break just 2-0 up.

Sports brought that back to 2-2 down the hill but Shoulder again broke away to make it 4-2 before the visitors grabbed their third.

However, any hopes of completing a comeback were dashed when the hosts added a further two goals.

Shoulder also had James Hurtley and Chris Conroy on target.

Old Pond continued their good recent form in Division One with an 8-2 victory over Stallions.

The first goal came via a punt from Ben Briggs, Chris Payne running onto the clearance before rounding Gareth Griffiths.

Player Manager Richard Dawson, back from suspension, then played in Payne for his second before a good move involving Lee Williams, Geoff Pitcher and Chris Marsh was headed home by Jamie O’Callaghan who had an excellent game on the left flank.

Chris Payne was unplayable at times and he found Marsh who swept home Pond’s fourth before the speedy front man both won and converted a penalty.

Stallions kept trying to knock the ball around and were rewarded when Dan Minshall cut in from the flank before firing home. However, Pond grabbed another before the break when Ryan Richards crossed, Marsh flicked on and Williams volleyed home at the back post.

The second half saw fewer opportunities but it was the visitors who extended their lead when Michael Barlow swept the ball into the path of Payne and he slid the ball home for his fourth.

Stallions replied when Dan Buglar rifled a tremendous free kick into the top corner of Ben Briggs’ net with the Pond stopper performing heroics with a trademark penalty save shortly afterwards.

Pond’s victory was secured when Payne was once more felled in the box when well placed to head home and Barlow duly stroked home from the spot.

Halifax Hammers ran out 8-4 winners over bottom side Royd Club.

Royd created the better of the early chances before Hammers skipper Mohammed Ozair hit a low shot into the bottom corner and Matthew Waller doubled the lead.

Royd pulled one back through Nathan Dempsey after a mix up in defence but Terriq Pervez smashed the ball home for 3-1.

Ahsan Farooq then raced past two defenders before firing home after which slick passing allowed Terriq Pervez to net the fifth before the break.

Hammers again started on top but were guilty of missing clear cut chances and Sam Taylor scored from close range to make it 5-2.

Royd were awarded a penalty which was saved by Hussain Farooq, but the referee ordered it to be retaken and Andrew Shand scored at the second attempt.

Royd kept pressing forward but it was Hammers who scored through Waller after which Mohammed Ozair made it 7-3.

Waller then completed his hat-trick before James Mason headed in from corner for Royd to complete the scoring

Thornhill Briggs boss Glen Hall praised his side’s work ethic as they produced a shock in the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Sunday Cup by inflicting a 5-1 defeat on Premier Division side Engineers.

It was Hall who tapped home an Alex Hallam cross to give the Brighouse side the lead before Hallam himself struck from the penalty spot.

Engineers came back with a penalty of their own, but the Division One title contenders went on to record an eye catching victory.

Hallam’s penchant for the spectacular once more came to the fore, the frontman’s 25 yard rocket was followed up by another from Hall, this time using his blistering pace to race clear and finish, before James Buckley added the fifth late on.

Elland Sportd edged a tight encounter with fellow Premier Division side FC Champs before running out 4-3 winners.

Champs took the lead before Elland had really got going, but Mark Heppenstall levelled and then put the home sidee ahead before the break.

Champs made the better start after the break and worked an excellent equaliser only for Heppenstall to strike again for his hat-trick.

James Greenbwood then made it 4-2 but Champs gave themselves a lifeline with a late third but Elland were able to run the clock down.

FC Bowling Green were given a hard game by Division One leaders Waiters Arms before scraping through 1-0.

Two evenly-matched sides had chances in the first half, Chris Dennison hitting the woodwork from a corner for Green and Billy Grogan forcing Paul Barker into a good save at the other end.

The game opened up after the break and it was Green who finally forced the breakthrough with Andrew Sutcliffe netting the all-important goal from Gary Ash’s cross.

Danny Cook had an effort cleared off the line as Waiters pressed while Green were unlucky not to add to their goal with Tom Holroyde and Gary Ash both denied by the Waiters keeper.

Premier Division leaders Carrington beat Hollins Holme 8-0 at Beechwood Park.

The Division One side competed well for the opening half hour but Carrington started to get on top, thanks in part to a dominant midfield display from Liam Brook, and they made the breakthrough when Matty Horsfall slammed a 20 yard strike into the top corner.

Jay Carney was the next to score after great work from Damian Randall and goal scorer then turned provider when Carney put one on a plate for Jordan Coduri.

The second half was one way traffic with Coduri grabbing his second and Randall scoring a superb hat-trick.

The best goal of the game came when Carrington broke away from a Hollins Holme corner and some quick, one touch passing involving five players opened up the chance for Mark McElroy who finished with aplomb.

Oddfellows reached the last eight after coming from 2-0 down to beat Woodhouse Unirted 4-2 after extra time.

Woodhouse dominated the first half and took the lead through Hallinhan and only good goalkeeping kept the score to 1-0 at half time.

Oddfellows were much improved after the break and had plenty of chances but went two down when Joe Whickam scored.

Oddfellows never gave in and two Chris Swaine goals forced the game into extra time.

oddfellows were easily the best team and scored a further two in the second half with Swaine completing his hat trick and a Matthew Crouch netting from the penalty spot after Chris Keen had been brought down by a clumsy challenge from Woodhouse centre half Chris Ford.