Revenge in the Cup is sweet for Ovenden

OVENDEN West Riding avenged a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Golcar United in October with victory by the same scoreline away to the Huddersfield side in Saturday’s West Riding CA Premier Division Cup quarter final.

The visitors gave an excellent team display with no-nonsense pair Mat Jones and Martin Ayscough soon creating gaps for Damien Randall and John Booth.

Home ‘keeper Jack Peacock was soon in the thick of the action, saving well from Randall and Booth, and on 25 minutes Ovenden took the lead.

Andy Gregory beat three defenders on an excellent left wing run and his lay back gave Jones the opportunity to beat Peacock from eight yards.

At the other end the dangerous Callum meade and Simon Rawnsley were being held by Ovenden’s makeshift centre half pairing of Mick Palethorpe and Andy Wilkinson.

Golcar drew level on 30 minutes when Chris Gent’s misdirected pass enabled Meade to break away and his cross shot rebounded off keeper Chris Moroney for Rawnsley to tap in.

Ovenden were undeterred and continued to cause problems. On 60 minutes a Palethorpe free kick caused havoc in Golcar’s defence and Steve Fullard scored.

It was one-way traffic now and Ovenden got a deciding score with 10 minutes left when Booth raced clear on the left and his shot was too good for Peacock.

Halifax Irish’s survival hopes in Division One were all but ended by a 4-2 loss to fellow strugglers Storthes Hall.

Irish started the better, piling pressure on Storthes Hall, and they took the lead when Callum Cook stabbed the ball home to take his goal tally to four goals in four games since coming up from the reserves.

The home side gave away plenty of cheap free kicks in their own half and Hall levelled when a quickly-taken free kick was dispatched into the top corner past new keeper Daniel Jennings.

Luck seems to have evaded the Irish over the past few weeks and they went 2-1 behind after what they felt was a highly dubious penalty decision on the stroke of half time.

Irish came out fighting in the second half and after a superb run and cross by Luke Holmes, Richard Clarke rose the highest to head his side level.

However, two defensive errors near the end of the game, when Irish had committed men forward, left the home side adrift at the bottom.

Manager Chris Ellerby admitted to feeling low after the game and promised that his side would play attacking football for the rest of the campaign.