Ryburn shock holders to book semi-final berth

Beehive & CrossKeys goalscorers Nick Green and Simon Gerrard
Beehive & CrossKeys goalscorers Nick Green and Simon Gerrard

Ryburn United pulled off the shock of the round in the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Cup as they beat Premier Division leaders and reigning holders Hollins Holme 4-3 to book their place in the semi-finals.

Matt Lamb’s thunderous 25 yard free kick was the difference between the sides after Holme had fought back from 3-0 down at the break to force extra time.

Holme struggled to find space as Ryburn hassled and harried their opponents at every opportunity.

The first chance fell to top scorer Bub Cockroft who found himself through on goal but he dragged his shot wide of the left upright.

Moments later United found themselves in front when Jake Brown set off on a typically surging run before slipping the ball through to Cockroft who cut inside and fired home left footed into the far corner.

United were dealing with Hollins physical approach with ease, but almost conceded immediately after the goal. Matt Lamb miscued and volleyed toward his own net, but the ball crashed off the bar and was steered to safety.

United doubled their lead midway through the half. Nat Powell produced an exquisite cross with the outside of his foot and Gaz Robertshaw flicked a superb header into the far corner.

United were full value for their lead and they were in dreamland on the stroke of half time as Alex Coburn made it 3-0.

Cockroft hassled the defender and flicked through for Alex Coburn who made no mistake with a fine finish into the bottom left corner.

Hollins began their fightback early in the second half as Andy Butterworth volleyed home. Despite this setback United remained the better side and should have restored their three goal lead when Cockroft scampered after a long ball before rounding the ‘keeper and squaring to Coburn who fired over from a yard out with the goal gaping.

It appeared Ryburn would comfortably see the game out. However, Holme showed exactly why they are top of the Premier Division as they fired in two quick goals to force extra time.

The first followed a stunning save from Cameron Stephenson, who turned the ball onto the bar only to see the rebound bundled home. The equaliser came with three minutes left as Rob Day fired home at the back post.

United defended stoutly throughout the extra period and the game was won with a moment of magic from skipper Matt Lamb.

Cockroft was hauled down on the edge of the penalty area and Lamb stepped up to rifle an unstoppable free kick into the top corner from 25 yards, sparking wild celebrations.

United’s cause was helped further as Day was sent off after kicking out in frustration. Substitute Lewis Brierley could have made the game safe for Ryburn late on as he ran through on goal as Hollins pushed for an equaliser, however he dragged his shot wide.

Second division Beehive & CrossKeys were another side to claim a notable scalp as they beat top flight side Oddfellows 2-1.

Oddfellows started the game determined not to be beaten and with Ady Parkinson finding space on the they created several chances with Jack Beaumont in the Beehive goal making several good saves. When he was beaten by Scott Parkinson the crossbar came to his rescue.

Man of the Match Alex O’Keefe created Beehive’s first real chance from a free kick which was tipped round the post by ‘keeper Aaron Jackson. The resulting corner resulted in a clash of heads between two Beehive players and the introduction of substitute Tom Lamb.

The change unsettled Beehive for a few minutes and this led to a free kick which was bent expertly round the wall by Jack Rice.

With half time approaching Simon Gerrard sent Alex O’Keefe on a run. He looked up and pulled the ball back towards the edge of the penalty area where Nick Green calmly sidefooted the ball into the net.

The second half saw Oddfellows force three great saves from Jack Beaumont in between Alex O’Keefe forcing a fine stop from Aaron Jackson. There followed a ten minute period of scrappy play until Ady Parkinson went on a run and beat two defenders before placing his cross into the path of Aaron Green who turned the ball in for 1-1

The game was end to end as both sides tried to avoid extra time. Oddfellows seemed to be in control with Beaumont making several saves.

Oddfellows then had a corner which was cleared to the edge of the penalty area where it was picked up by Alex O’Keefe. He turned and went on a run before being brought down.

O’Keefe picked himself up and took a great free kick which was headed down by Tom Lamb and turned in by Simon Gerrard for the winner.

Lee Mount battled hard to overcome an Old Pond fightback to book their place in the last four.

Manager Lee Whitton said he was proud of the determination from the Mount players and that they have put themselves right in the hunt for silverware this season.

With Mount playing down the hill in the first half it was pretty much one way traffic. They broke the deadlock after Callum Meade cut inside from the left and beat three defenders before smashing the ball across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Pond struck back five minutes later with a neat finish from Hall. Moments after Lee Mount took the lead again with Gareth Gaukroger beating the keeper at the near post.

The goal of the game came from Gaukroger with an outstanding pass from Jordan Pettifor which Gaukroger brought down before chipping the keeper in the same movement. Mount then went 4-1 up before half time with Pettifor reacting to a rebound to smash the ball home.

The second half was all Pond with two quick goals to make it 4-3 and with all to play for. However, Meade yet again finished with style taking the ball past the keeper before smashing it into the net.

An outstanding performance from Mount keeper Liam Normanton left Pond ruing their chances to hit back in the last minute.

Elland Sports and Carrington shared the spoils in an entertaining Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division game that finished 2-2.

The visitors started well and created a number of early chances, Jay Carney and Damien Randall both going close.

Elland worked hard to get a foothold in the game and passed the ball well at times but they were unable to create any meaningful opportunities and they fell behind just before the break when Randall drilled home a measured strike from the edge of the box.

Early in the second half Carrington won a penalty after good work from Carney. Jordan Coduri stepped up and made no mistake.

Carrington were now dominating possession and looking comfortable but a mistake at the back changed the game. Dan Crosland and goalkeeper Craig Turnbull got in a muddle trying to deal with a seemingly innocuous ball over the top and Carlton Balmer snuck in to turn the ball home.

The game then went from end to end, Carrington looking to seal the win and Elland desperately chasing a point.

Gareth Sherwood received a second yellow card for a poor tackle but, rather than hinder Elland, it actually helped them as the winger had been wasteful and the new direct approach worked for them.

After winning a series of corners in the dying minutes, Turnbull got caught under the ball and Dave Swiss reacted quickest to turn the ball into the unguarded net.

Waiters Arms jumped into third place as they picked up maximum points with a 4-0 home success over second-bottom Feathers.

North Bridge were in scintillating form as they put nine without reply past a stunned Hens Face in Division One.

Stevie Haining opened the scoring with a spectacular volley before Dean Crossley tapped in for 2-0 and a Tye Hewson curler made it three.

A handball offered Hens Face a route back into the game but goalkeeper Leigh Whitaker was in inspired form saving to his left.

Niall Cuttle, in only his second start for Bridge, tapped in, curled in a 25 yard screamer, finished a one on one, and turned in a corner to make it 7-0 with an impressive four goal haul, assisted by Slater Barnes.

There was still time for Barnes to bag a goal himself, and Crossley a second to complete an excellent all round display.

Royd Club ran out 5-2 winners in an entertaining clash with Bradshaw.

Matthew Bleasdale opened the scoring for the home side when he cut inside then wrong-footed the keeper.

James Redmond added a second before Bradshaw pulled a goal back.

The two goal advantage was restored when John Gibson netted before James Megson made it 4-1 with a stunning 25 yard shot into the top left hand corner of the net.

Bradshaw added their second and both sides had chances before Gibson rounded things off with his second.

Leaders Mount Tabor maintained their good form with a 6-0 home success over Top Club while Queens Head dumped Rastrick BC to the bottom of the table with a 2-1 win that lifted them off the foot.

Ryburn Valley took advantage of Ryburn United’s involvement in the FA Cup to move into second place courtesy of a 5-3 success over Triangle.

Halifax Rangers came back down to earth with a bump in Division Two following a 4-1 home defeat by Plummet Line, who secured a league double.

Rangers, who had won 5-0 the previous week, had the better of the early exchanges but fell behind after half an hour play through their failure to clear a corner.

When the ball fell to skipper Chris Doyle, he lashed it home and the visitors took their one-goal lead into the interval.

In the second half, Rangers became lacklustre and conceded a second following another corner, this time Ben Orchard profiting.

Rangers were given something of a lifeline when Plummet keeper Ryan West was adjudged to have clipped the heels of Rangers forward Greg Austin, and top scorer David Oakes rammed home the penalty for his 10th of the season.

But Rangers failed to seize the initiative, and the game ran away from them when Andy Pearson made it 3-1, and Chris Bairstow wrapped up the game for the visitors with a shot that took a deflection on the way in.