Saints turn on the style

St Columbas under 14s turned on the style at Long Lane with a fantastic second half display to overcome a brave Beacon side and remain top of the table following a 7-2 victory.

The game got underway with Saints attacking down the slope. Despite the best efforts of Tomas Smethurst-Robinson, Haider Asghar and Jake Stephenson, the busiest man was the Beacon keeper coming out to collect the ball and snuff out any threat.

It was a frustrating half for Saints although they did take the lead with a great shot from Jake Stephenson after another fine trademark run down the right. However, Beacon always looked dangerous on the break and they drew them level with a fine goal just before the interval.

The second half saw Saints play some excellent football. The pace of Stephenson was the obvious threat while midfielders Luke Sharman and Jordan Bloem cleverly built up the play with Bloem especially always looking for the killer ball. It was the latter who put Saints ahead with a driven shot from the edge of the box before Stephenson pounced on a through ball and outpaced the cover to finish with aplomb. Hitchen then ran onto another defence splitting pass and coolly lobbed the keeper.

Saints confidence was sky-high and with Beacon heads dropping, Smethurst-Robinson deservedly got a goal with a tidy near post finish. Stephenson added another before Beacon pulled one back from the penalty spot before Hitchen completed the scoring.

BOOTHTOWN Juniors under 13s were deserved winners 3-1 against Warley Greens.

The early stages were evenly matched but Boothtown’s central midfield of Tom McGregor and Nathan Field started to take control of the game and with Cameron Visciano and Jordan Kilvington providing great crosses from both flanks, the strike force of Callum Jackson and Nicky Meade had several chances to take the lead.

However, it was against the run of play when Warley were awarded a free kick and Luke Sherwood hit a stunning shot which gave keeper Bradley Madin no chance.

The second half was also closely matched but Boothtown were soon level when Nicky Meade hit a great shot from the edge of the box.

Warley came back into the game but with Jake Tait, Corey Rose, Fletcher Horsfield and Jack Helliwell remaining solid at the back, and Bradley Madin impressive in goal, the dangerous George Ainsley’s chances were limited.

Ellis Maude was introduced for his Boothtown debut and the game looked to be heading for a draw when Nathan Field was brought down on the edge of the box and Dan Hildred hit a great free kick which was headed home by Nicky Meade to put Boothtown in front for the first time.

With seconds remaining, Boothtown were awarded another free kick which Dan Hildred hit home from long range to cap a fine personal performance.

RYAN Allen netted a hat-trick as Greetland Goldstars under 13s secured a narrow 3-2 victory over Crossley Juniors.

Greetland were eager to press and it wasn’t long before the pressure told when fine approach play led to a free kick just outside the box and Allen drove the ball high into the crowded area where the keeper could not hold the drive and allowed the shot to pass through his hands.

The lead was doubled when a quick throw in from Elliot Ascroft was allowed to bounce, Charlie Lister took advantage and found Oliver Bagley whose decisive pass between two defenders picked out the timed run of Allen who calmly picked his spot wide of the advancing keeper.

Greetland continued to create the better of the chances but it was Crossleys who pulled a goal back when they worked the ball quickly up the left where quick passing into feet put the winger behind the defence and the ball pulled back to the edge of the box giving the striker time to fire high over Joseph Brooke and in off the underside of the bar.

Both sides continued to contribute to a fine game and it was Greetland who broke through to increase their lead Ashley Muncaster quickly got the ball under control before rolling it to the onrushing Allen who burst into the box and lifted his shot over the oncoming keeper to complete his hat trick.

The scoring was completed before half-time when a direct move up the centre of the field and out to the right caught Greetland napping and a cross was swung high into the box. Brooke called confidently but failed to collect, and instead of bouncing the ball skidded off the muddy surface at his feet and into the net

The two teams continued to trade chances after the break but nobody was able to add to the scoreline.

BOOTHOWN Juniors under 16s continued their fine start to the season with a 9-0 victory over Sowerby Bridge.

Both teams started brightly and it took an unfortunate slip by the Sowerby keeper which allowed Brandon Field to open the scoring from close range.

Moments later a Jay Cartwright shot was stabbed over the line by Field for his second and when Elliott Core added a third it was looking bleak for Sowerby.

However, to their credit they battled throughout but found keeper Aiden Robertshaw and the central defence of Jack Pullen and Jonny Higgings in outstanding form.

The midfield battle was being won by Boothtown with Jamie Randall, Robbie Wadle and Ben Fox creating many chances and it came as no surprise when Core added his second just before the break. There was just time for Field to complete his hat-trick with a neat finish to send them in 5-0 up at half time.

The second half continued in a similar way with Sowerby continuing to battle but they were unable to stop Boothtown increasing their lead when Core completed his hat-trick with a fine header from a free kick and then Field added the finishing touch to a flowing move involving full back Dom Prentice and a great cross by Robbie Wardle.

Opposite full back Ben Heavyside made some strong runs down the right and Field benefited again when he added his fifth goal with a glancing header.

That just left Aaron Darnbrook to help create the final goal for Core who scored his fourth with a great finish from the edge of the box.

More Junior Sport in Thursday’s Halifax Courier