Seven for Old Boys in promotion push

Brighouse continued their rich vein of form with a comprehensive 7-0 first division win over struggling Nostell.

The home side started brightly enough playing some good football which belied their league position, bossing the early exchanges but despite the early possession couldn’t make much headway against a strong Old Boys back four of Mike Barlow, Andy Hall, Lee Williams and Luke Johnson who were in dominant form.

Brighouse began to settle their game down with the midfield trio of James Fletcher, Reece Bray and Andy Burton starting to run the show.

And they got the breakthrough after 20 minutes when Barlow’s powerful run down the right turned the home defence.

His pass found Fletcher who laid it off to Burton on the edge of the area and he struck a curling left foot drive which beat home ‘keeper Ryan Smith.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0, after good link up play between Fletcher and Kenny released Matty Roy who burst through to score.

It was all Brighouse with the home side struggling to cope with the passing, movement and pace of the game.

And they could have made it three when Kenny’s through ball found Neil Butcher but his goalbound strike was brilliantly saved by Smith.

The third came after a flowing move down the left involving Johnson, Fletcher and Roy which resulted in the latter’s cross being fired home by Kenny, to put the visitors 3-0 ahead at half time.

The second half began as the first had finished with the visitors bossing the play and the home side on the back foot.

Kenny was unlucky not to make it four after his powerful header from Johnson’s cross was tipped over by Smith.

Nostell then had their best chance of the game when Chris Robson’s pass over the top caught the Old Boys defence square,

Ross Greenwood burst through before forcing a good full length save from ‘keeper Gareth Betts who had been a virtual spectator up to that point.

Brighouse hit back strongly and made it four when Barlow’s cross was headed home from close range by Butcher.

On the hour mark Jimmy Cummings joined the fray replacing Burton in midfield who dropped back to centre back replacing Williams who had taken a knock on his ankle.

The visitors kept pressing forward and it was only the brilliance and bravery of Smith in the Nostell goal that was keeping them at bay.

The fifth goal came after yet another flowing move, Kenny’s cross being met by Roy’s expert volley which crashed into the back of the net.

It was second sub Pete Kuleczko’s turn to get on the score sheet next, Cummings’ neat ball over the top allowing him to use his pace to break free of the home defence and round the keeper and score.

The scoring was completed when Roy completed a great hat trick firing in Kuleczko’s cross to make the score 7-0.

Credit to the home side who battled to the end but were up against a side on top of their game.

Best for the Old Boys were Roy, Burton and Barlow.