Shelf break their duck

SHELF United finally recorded their first league victory of the season this season with a fine 4-3 win over title-hopefuls Warley Rangers.

Shelf started the better side and opened the scoring after 20 minutes when James Andrew was brought down in the box and his older brother Paul slotted home from the penalty spot.

Warley wasted little time in equalising when Paul Kendall capped a flowing move by firing low into the net. Their joy was short-lived, however, as Shelf soon regained the lead when a one two between the Andrew brothers ended with Paul scoring with a fine finish from 12 yards.

Once again Warley showed their battling qualities, although it was something of a fluke goal which got them back on terms for a second time when a long free kick into the Shelf box saw the keeper somehow let it evade his grasp and bounce into the net.

Undeterred, Shelf sensed they could get something from the game and regained the lead again with Paul Andrew taking a quick free kick which caught the Warley defence asleep to complete his treble.

The second half saw Warley up the tempo and they scored a deserved equaliser after which Shelf had captain James Cotter sent off.

However, even with 10 men, Shelf looked the more likely team to fashion a winner which they duly did, Paul Andrew setting up Joe Griffin with a defence splitting ball which saw him neatly beat the Warley keeper.

The victory was still not enough to give Shelf any breathing space at the wrong end of the table as bottom club Stainland United also picked up maximum points from a 4-3 success over Stump Cross, Karl Jowett, Dean Lawrence and Paul Friend among their scorers while Hebden Royd Red Star picked up a point to leave all three sides locked on six points.

The goalless draw at White Lee Rec brought both Red Star and Sowerby United their second successive draws.

Sowerby started brightly but were unable to find a way through a home defence that was well marshalled by Danny Gilfillan. It was the same for the hosts as they tried to break the deadlock, finding Dan Taylor and Adam Kershaw immovable in the Sowerby defence.

The nearest any side came to a first half goal was when a John Wilkinson effort bounced on the top of the bar to safety. The heavy pitch made it hard going for both sides but they were still playing good football.

Harry West had Red Stars best chance, heading over from a good position, and a great save from Paul Barker in the Sowerby goal ended all hopes of a Red Star goal.

Sowerby had a strong shout for a penalty turned down and the end result was a fair one with neither side deserving to lose.

Greetland maintained their pursuit of leaders Ryburn United with a 4-2 success at Holmfield.

Greetland started the brighter but Holmfield scored first after Andy Hurcombe had spurned the chance to put his side ahead early on.

Hurcombe then equalised with a simple tap in from a Jimmy Highley cross before Matty McCambridge put Holmfield back in front with a well taken free kick from just outside the area to give his side a 2-1 interval lead.

Greetland then produced an excellent second half performance with goals from Danny Dorward and two headers one from Jimmy Highley and the other from James Greenwood wrapped up the points.

Greetland’s pursuit of the title was also aided by a defeat for leaders Ryburn United, who crashed 3-0 at AFC Crossleys. Elland United beat Calder 76 3-1.