Shoulder and Carrington bag shock victories

IT was a day for some eye-catching end of season results in the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Premier Division with Carrington Rangers and Shoulder FC Northowram taking centre stage with surprise victories over FC Royal of Pellon and Elland Sports respectively.

Halifax FA Sunday Cup winners Carrington Rangers recorded an emphatic 10-2 away success against FC Royal of Pellon who were only able to field 10 men.

Carrington, who also had a number of players missing, took full advantage racing to a 7-0 lead at the break thanks to five goals from the on fire Jay Carney and one each for Robbie Graham and Nay Sloane.

Carrington gifted a goal back to Royal in bizarre circumstances when goalkeeper Craig Turnbull kicked the ball out to Graham who, under pressure from two players, passed the ball back to Turnbull who was walking back to his goal and paying no attention to what was going on.

Shouts from the Carrington players alerted him to the danger but not realising what had happened he instinctively picked the ball up and Royal smashed home the resultant free kick from six yards out.

Carrington continued to dominate possession and create numerous chances and it was Carney who stole the show again, scoring three more goals to take his personal tally in the game to eight before Royal pulled another back late on.

Elland Sports, who have bagged the runners up spot behind FC Bowling Green, twice let the lead slip before going down to a 5-4 defeat at Shoulder.

Elland opened the scoring with a penalty midway through the half then doubled their lead following some slack defensive work.

James Hurtley could have pulled one back before the break when the Elland keeper passed the ball to him but recovered well to save the shot.

Shoulder were thrown a lifeline on the hour when Hurtley was brought down and James Waggett put away the penalty.The hosts then brought it level with Hurtley finally finding the target.

Elland restored their lead from a corner but Shoulder refused to lie down and a crossed ball slipped through the keeper’s hands and Chris Conroy pounced to score.

Shoulder then went ahead when poor defending allowed Conroy to take on the defence and set up Hurtley for his second of the game before Conroy secured his brace, scoring from just inside the area.

Waggett almost scored from his own half when the keeper was caught off his line before Elland pulled one back with a shot from distance

They could have equalised late on but James Bunn produced a fantastic save to deny them.

Last season’s champions King Cross CB&AC did their hopes of survival the power of good with a 3-2 success over a Mont Tabor side who lost ground in their battle to avoid the drop.

Cross still have work to do but believe another three points from their final three matches should see them safe.

They had to win the hard way against tabor after falling behind.

Chris Hall chested them level from close range but Tabor struck back to lead 2-1.

Cross were gifted a way back into the game through a Tabor own goal then pinched it at the death when Tanwar Hudson headed home at the far post.

Halifax Hammers took a step towards survival with an 8-4 success at bottom club Bradshaw.

Hammers hit the front in the first minute when a mistake by the Bradshaw keeper allowed Atif Hussain to score into an open net. They doubled their advantage 10 minutes later when Mohammad Ozair’s mazy run ended with a strike into the bottom corner.

It was 3-0 through Wajid Nawaz and as Hammers continued to play good neat football they netted again when good work from Mohammed Ozair and Osman Malik put Bilal through who scored from close range to make it 4-0.

Hammers were hungry for more and Jasim Saleh hit a powerful shot from 30 yards before Usman Ali saw his low drive go in for a 6-0 half-time lead.

Hammers missed an open goal in the opening stages of the second half and this spurred Bradshaw who pulled a goal back through Tom Boyle.

Bradshaw were a totally different side and Boyle added a second before Hammers re-grouped and Atif Hussain scored lobbed the keeper to make it 7-2.

Bradshaw kept battling and Boyle headed in from a corner after which he took advantage of some slack marking to add his and his side’s fourth.

Hammers had the final say when Atif Hussain scored from close range in the final minute.