Stump and Ryburn hit foes for six

Stump Cross and Ryburn United are the leading pair in the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL after hitting six goals on their travels on Saturday.

Stump made it three wins out of three with a 6-1 success over AFC Crossleys, who are still looking for their first point, at Mason Green.

Ryburn finally shook off the threat from promoted Copley, scoring twice in the last 15 minutes to clinch a 6-3 success.

They had a bagful of chances on a bumpy Savile Park pitch but needed late goals from substitute Luke Clinkard and Rob Gerrard to kill off their hosts, who carried a threat going forward in spite of the loss of Gary Ash but were too charitable at the back.

Gerrard had set up Christian Silkstone to score the opener but Priestley equalised. Billy Grogan, who had a good game, then scored twice to make it 1-3 at the break, his second coming from a header at a corner.

Danny Dewick’s long punt enabled Priestley to grab his second and although Silkstone’s back post header into the top corner made it 2-4, Copley wouldn’t go away and John Murphy pounced when Gary Hodgson hesitated with the ball near his own line.

Clinkard scored from eight yards and Gerrard converted his second one-on-one chance to see Ryburn through.

Sowerby United staged a remarkable comeback to take a point from a 3-3 draw at home to Shelf United.

Shelf raced into a 3-0 lead inside half an hour with a superb strike from Paul Andrew who followed up with a second and a good finish from Dan Agar.

Sowerby changed things round in the second half and pulled one back when man of the match Corey Henderson beat two defenders before firing home a great shot.

Minutes later Joe Swallow had his surging run halted by a trip and he scored from the resulting penalty.

Shelf were shaken but looked set to hang on until Sowerby skipper Adam Kershaw beat everyone in the air to head home the equaliser from a Henderson cross.

Champions Elland United dropped another couple of points in a 2-2 draw at Holmfield.

They missed a hatful of chances, with Mark Kelsey the main culprit, and not only surrendered a 2-0 lead but were grateful to a fine save from Michael Heckinbotham late on to deny Holmfield an undeserved winner.

Impressive new signing Damian Nicholls cut the ball back for Carlton Balmer to open the scoring and the frontman got his second goal 10 minutes into the second half with Holmfield appealing in vain for offside.

Jamie Keegan reduced the deficit against the run of play and Gareth Gaukroger levelled things up.

Volunteer Arms hit back from a goal down to win 4-1 against fellow Savile Park side Salem, who were suffering a first Division One defeat of the season.

Arms have a good record against Salem but fell behind to Nick Green’s shot from the edge of the area after 15 minutes.

Jamie Whitehead went through to equalise on 25 minutes and brother Davie headed Volunteer in front from a corner.

Aiden Bradley missed an open goal for Volunteer while Green was denied a penalty when he appeared to be held back and Salem ‘keeper Ian Fletcher needed emergency repairs for a cut head.

Volunteers were in command during the second half and Johnny Pickles extended their lead with a 30-yarder before Jamie Whitehead chipped the keeper late on.

Promoted Wadsworth United are still looking for a first win after losing 3-0 at Sowerby Bridge and Halifax Irish Centre are in the same boat after going down 7-4 at Stainland.

Northowram picked up their first point of the season in a 2-2 draw away to Mixenden United at Natty Lane.

They had the better of the first half and Matthew Rushworth and James Waggett both hit the woodwork, the only goal coming when Waggett’s pinpoint through ball was followed by a composed finish from Conroy.

Paul Glew had two good chances early in the second half for Rams before Mixenden upped the tempo when visiting keeper Jack Scott brought down Damien Randall, who converted the penalty.

It looked like the visitors had won it when Archie Griffiths’ superb volley from distance cleared keeper Gary Allchin with only four minutes remaining.

However, in a frantic finish, Adie Hollands and Randall received their marching orders and a minute from time Scott allowed a harmless looking free kick to slip through his fingers.

Warley Rangers Reserves made it three out of three in Division Two with a 2-0 home win over Sowerby United Reserves.

Guy Flanagan bagged a hat-trick to help Denholme United Reserves set the pace in Division Three.

Calder ‘76 won the most mouth-watering tie in the first round of the Halifax FA Saturday Cup, beating visitors and fellow Halifax AFL Premier Division side Warley Rangers 3-1.

Rangers have had the better of recent meetings but it was Calder’s day and they extended a 1-0 interval lead to 3-0 before Rangers got a consolation.

Remi Allen got the opening goal after half an hour with a near post header after Steve Jones and Paul Ashman had launched a move down the right from a free-kick on half-way.

Allen had earlier hit the woodwork and both teams had chances.

Two quick goals midway through the second half settled it, a 30-yard screamer from Matt McCambridge and a Ricky Topham penalty after he had been upended.

Warley replied when Calder’s offside trap, which had served them well up to that point, was caught out by a ball over the top.

The other two games resulted in 8-1 away wins with Yorkshire OB side Ealandians thumping AFL newcomers Shelf AFC and Greetland flattening Brighouse Sports from three divisions lower in the AFL.

Sports shocked the visitors inside five minutes when a cross cum shot caught out Craig Taylor.

However, the keeper’s long clearance allowed Mark Hindle to chip the Sports custodian.

Greetland skipper Matty Oldfield was soon pulling the strings in midfield for Greetland and his accurate pass found Carl Ainley, who sent Adam Oldfield through to chip the keeper.

Andy Hurcombe and Chris Ward combined to send Hindle through for his second and a brace from Carl Ainley made it 5-1 at half time.

Hindle completed his hat-trick after good work from Oldfield and Andy Hurcombe. Carl Ainley scored from close range and young winger Tom Wall completed the scoring on his first team debut after being played in by player manager Mark Leonard.