Sunday League: Chappell stars as Waiters serve up a thrashing

David Chappell
David Chappell

Waiters Arms got their season up and running with an 8-0 victory away to Siddal Place.

Both teams were missing first team regulars and it showed with a poor first 20 minutes, with David Chappell for Waiters having the only chances of note.

He then made amends a few minutes later when he rounded the Siddal keeper from an Adam Helliwell through ball.

He soon made it 2-0 when he nodded in a pinpoint Ashton Richardson cross. Waiters then continued to squander chances with Helliwell and Chappell missing sitters and it looked like it might come back to haunt them as Richardson hacked down Dean McDonald in the box for a penalty to Siddal, but it was blazed over.

Chappell completed his hat trick two minutes into the second-half by smashing in from close range after Adam Fenton had sent him clear and the same pair combined for Chappell to make it 4-0 shortly after.

Chappell then grabbed his fifth after running clear from the halfway line and slotting home, and he completed his double hat-trick from the penalty spot after Helliwell had been brought down.

Waiters then put a bit of gloss on the scoreline with two late goals which was a bit harsh on a gallant Siddal team.

Waiters boss Fenton was pleased with his side’s performance and the returning Dean Park and six-goal Chappell for their efforts, he also praised Siddal’s efforts.

He said: “It’s a totally different game if they score that penalty and make it 2-1 before the break and unfortunately for them we made them pay in the second half.

“They kept trying to play til the end and I hope they get their players back and I’m sure they’ll make a good go of it in this division.”

Hollins Holme boss Steve Parker declared himself “chuffed to bits” with his side’s start to the season after their 2-2 draw with Bradshaw on Sunday.

Hollins have seven points from their first four games, and were only denied what would have been an impressive win against Bradshaw by a late equaliser.

Andrew Butterworth gave Hollins the lead from a corner, but Jordan Coduri cancelled it out before half-time.

Hollins re-took the lead early in the second-half through Joe Gibson, but Bradshaw again battled back to rescue a point with a goal five minutes from the end through Hurles-Brook.

“It was a very, very good result for us,” said Parker. “Where we are in the table now after playing Panda, Lee Mount and Bradshaw, I’ll take that all day long.

“I’m really impressed with how we’ve started. I’m chuffed to bits.

“Sunday will be another tough game, but we’ve beaten Lee Mount, drawn with Bradshaw.

“They started off quickly, they’re a really good footballing side, we knew that going into the game.

“They get the ball up top but they do it properly.

“With Leon Hurles-Brook and Jordan Coduri up-front, they’re always a threat.

“But most of their chances were outside the box, and most of the shots they had were dealt with by our keeper.”

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, FC Panda thrashed Ryburn United 7-1.

In Division One, Cock and Bottle made it four wins out of five with a 7-2 win at Trinagle, while King Cross Park recorded their first win of the season as they hammered Halifax Rangers 8-0.

In the West Riding Sunday Trophy, there were mixed results for Calderdale’s side, with victories for FC Panda Reserves, 7-2 at K Town Utd, and Barum Top, 5-2 at AFC Wibsey, but defeats for Thrum Hall, 4-3 at Snowdon, and Old Pond, 12-3 at home to Horse and Jockey.

Fc Panda Reserves dominated from the off in their clash in Knaresborough, with captain Wajid Nawaz and Zahid Mahmood both bagging a hat-trick, and Sohail Bashir also on the scoresheet.

Thrum Hall led 3-2 at half-time against their Dewsbury-based hosts, with a defensive mistake after seven minutes leaving the Snowdon keeper stranded, allowing Regan Martin score from 40 yards.

Chris Stanton finished off a fine team move for Hall’s second, before his second goal put them in-front at the interval, despite the loss of influential centre-half Ben Coates to injury.

But by 72 minutes Hall found themselves behind, with Sowndon’s fourth coming from a re-taken penalty.

Thrum Hall had a chance to force a replay with a penalty of their own with five minutes remaining when Stanton was brought down in the Snowdon area, but his spot-kick was saved.

Old Pond celebrated the welcome support of two local sponsors for their new 2018-19 home kit, but then extended generosity of their own as they were dumped out of the West Riding Sunday Trophy at the first hurdle against Wakefield Premier Division thoroughbreds Horse & Jockey.

A back-post header saw the visitors take a ninth minute lead, and when the Horbury based visitors grabbed two further goals before 20 minutes

had passed, the writing was on the wall for Paul Taylor and his side.

Selection proved difficult with a lack of natural defensive options for Pond; eligibility criteria ruling out several otherwise available players to the frustration of the home sides management.

The visitors went in seven goals to the good at the break, but with a tweak of

formation the home side looked a different outfit in the second period.

Luke Pelling made an impact having come off the bench; he was involved as Marcus Reynolds fired just over the top. Lewis Hobson then smashed the crossbar with a fine strike before the same man crossed for Reynolds who was this time denied by a sprawling save from his headed effort.

The quality of the opposition told again, as despite Pond’s dominant period of play

they countered and grabbed an eighth at the other end.

The pressure did finally pay off however as Hobson bulleted home a back-post header from a Josh Van Gesten cross. The visitors grabbed another in what was now an open but more competitive match, before a Michael Barlow shimmy in a central position freed him the space to feed Van Gestel who broke and fired home.

Pond ultimately were soundly beaten against a strong opponent 12-3, but produced the last moment of quality as a rasping Jamie Clay strike was parried on the line and Reynolds whacked home the rebound for his first for the club.

Pond manager Paul Taylor was pleased with his side’s attitude second period despite the tie being over. He was also quick to thank Helen and Andy Hunt at The Old Pond, Spout House Lane for sponsoring the fronts of the club’s new home shirts.

He said: “They have given us tremendous support since they came into the pub five years ago; we’re also lucky to have such a great home to go back to after matches.”

The club were also delighted when former long-standing goalkeeper Russell Holmes agreed to further sponsor the backs of the new kit via his Chartered Building Surveying and Architectural Design company Michael Denton Associates of Halifax.

Club secretary Andy Dawson added: “It’s difficult for Clubs to get sponsors nowadays with so much competition, so to have two businesses help us out is fantastic. We can’t thank them enough for their continued support of Old Pond FC and the community as a whole.”

King Cross Park, Halifax Rangers and Cock & Bottle got byes.

In the Sunday Cup, Ryburn Valley were thrashed 7-3 at Prospect AFC.