Sunday League: Hammers applying pressure on league leaders

Actions from King Cross v Hollins Holme, at Old Earth, Elland. Pictured are Andy Hodgson-Walker and James Chadwick
Actions from King Cross v Hollins Holme, at Old Earth, Elland. Pictured are Andy Hodgson-Walker and James Chadwick

Halifax Hammers moved to within three points of Premier Division leaders Waiters Arms with a 5-0 home win over Feathers FC.

Both sides hit the woodwork in the early stages, with Ahsan Farooq hitting the bar and Khurram Shazad hitting the post for Hammers, while Liam Senior struck the bar for Feathers, all inside the first 15 minutes.

Hammers took the lead on 17 minutes when Terriq Pervez scored from close range from Mohammed Ozair’s cross.

The game was closely-contested until Hammers doubled their lead just before the hour-mark when Ozair put Shazad through to score.

Sameer Ahmed took advantage of a mix-up in the Feathers defence before executing a delightful chip from 25 yards for Hammers’ third.

Pervez added a fourth after combining well with Ahmed, and Callum Charlton capped the win by adding a late free-kick from 30 yards.

Hollins Holme won 4-1 away to King Cross at Old Earth, Elland last Sunday in their first game since November 12.

A goalkeeping error by Gareth Swain had resulted in King Cross taking the lead in the first 10 minutes.

However, Joe Gibson went through one on one with the Cross keeper and made it 1-1 midway through the half.

An Andrew Butterworth penalty after Will Chadwick had been fouled made it 2-1 just before the break.

Gibson, a central defender who was switched to the attack earlier in the season, is revelling in his striker’s role and completed a hat-trick with both second-half goals.

Hollins bossed possession in the final 20 minutes with Gibson, Chris Garbutt, George Bamford, Butterworth and James Chadwick all impressing.

The Premier Division clash between FC Casa and Waiters Arms was postponed when Casa were unable to raise a side.

It has been confirmed that Premier Division side Fountain Head resigned before Christmas, with a lot of their players already signing for other clubs.

Old Pond continued their strong start to 2018 in Division One as they again burst out of the blocks on the way to beating ground sharing rivals North Bridge 7-4 at Lane Head.

Jamie Clay was lively throughout and struck the post early on to signal his side’s attacking intent.

It took 28 minutes for the deadlock to be broken, however, with Clay involved again. He flicked on to Hayden Lewis, who saw his first shot brilliantly parried by Ben Large in the Bridge net, but smashed home the rebound.

Brad Rufus, the hat-trick hero the weekend before against Halifax Amateurs, was again on the scoresheet just after the half hour mark.

A terrific move involving Wayne Allert and Clay culminated in a fine curled effort into the top corner from the in-form front man.

Large made a sprawling save from another Clay effort on 38 minutes, but was beaten by an exquisite lob from the same man a minute later. Clay saw the keeper slightly off his line and lofted the ball home from within the centre circle.

Bridge pushed Elliot Cuttle into midfield and created some good chances of their own approaching the interval with that increased attacking intent.

Sean Byrne had two gilt-edged opportunities but couldn’t keep the efforts down as they cleared the crossbar.

Pond managed to add a fourth on the counter during Bridge’s dominant spell; keeper Dan Barnes went route one and sent Clay through on goal from where he duly dispatched.

Stuart Blakey’s Bridge side continued on the front foot in the second period and pulled a goal back when Niall Cuttle latched onto a ricochet and finished well.

Pond were on the end of a spirited second half comeback in their last match, but nerves were settled when Clay and Lewis played a one-two down the right flank, culminating in Clay grabbing a deserved hat-trick after an excellent performance.

Player-manager Paul Taylor set up Rufus for his second and Pond’s sixth, before Byrne latched onto a long ball to grab one back for Bridge.

Clay delivered the corner which allowed Allert to scramble home a seventh, before a late rally from the home side.

Cameron Scrimshaw smashed home through a sea of bodies, before Byrne’s second ensured the match finished 7-4 to the Hove Edge outfit.

Elsewhere in Division One, leaders Bradshaw beat Halifax Hammers Reserves 4-3, and Halifax Amateurs won 6-1 at Barum Top.

In the League Cup, Siddal Place Triangle 3-2.