Sunday League: Lee Mount keep up pressure in title race

Lee Mount can still catch leaders Waiters Arms if they win both their games in hand after defeating Ryburn United 7-2.

Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 10:38 am
Updated Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 10:41 am
Barum Top's Grant Metcalfe climbs above North Bridge's Niall Cuttle.

Lee Mount are now six points behind Waiters but have played two games less. Second-placed Halifax Hammers are three points behind Waiters with a game in hand.

Hollins Holme were below par in losing 2-1 to Feathers.

Hollins were 3-2 winners in the away fixture at Shroggs Park on March 11 but Feathers gainmed revenge at Calder Holmes Park, Luddenden Foot on Sunday.

Joel Cleary headed the visitors in front after 10 minutes.

Will Chadwick levelled with an effort into the bottom corner after 30 minutes but Christian Silkstone quickly restored Feathers’ lead from the edge of the box, with ‘keeper Andrew Smith unsighted.

There were few chances in the second half, Joe Gibson going closest to an equaliser for Hollins with a header cleared off the line.

Bradshaw moved to the top of Division One with a 5-3 win at Cock and Bottle.

North Bridge secured a 3-1 victory against Barum Top to give them back to back wins.

Steve Cochrane hit a speculative effort from range and Andy Pluta and Kevin

Spalding also had half chances, whilst Bridge rarely troubled the home side’s goal in a disjointed first half display.

The one moment of quality in the half saw Barum take the lead just before the

interval; Grant Metcalfe swung a cross into the penalty area and Louie Kenny headed home past Ben Large in the Bridge net.

The second half was a marked improvement from the off as a spectacle with Pluta

lashing wide in an early opportunity before likewise Mike Kirwan narrowly missed

the target at the other end for Bridge.

Kenny flicked into the path of Pluta but he lofted wide with the goal gaping and his

sides profligacy in front of goal was punished with a neatly worked equalising goal at the opposite end. Alex Broomfield cut back to Kirwan who rifled home a venomous volleyed finish.

Bridge now clicked through the gears and Niall Cuttle rattled the cross-bar as his side pressed forward.

At the other end Luke Hegarty couldn’t get any purchase on his shot when well

placed, but most of his sides action was in defensive quarters at this stage.

Tom Hoodlass almost backheeled home from a spilled free kick and it wasn’t long

before Bridge took the lead for the first time. Substitute Cameron Scrimshaw firing

home from outside of the penalty area.

Sean Byrne exploited a Barum defence slow to move out and was afforded all the

time in the world to slot home a third and give his side breathing space.

The home side battled to the end and a fine Cochrane through ball found it’s way to Spalding via Kenny who rammed home at the back post to set up a tense finale.

Kenny thought he had plundered a dramatic late equaliser but the referees whistle

chalked off his close-range finish as Bridge hung on for victory.

Elsewhere, Halifax Rangers beat Halifax Amateurs 3-1.