Three in a row for Carrington

Ma Bakers celebrate their Springfield Camping League Cup success
Ma Bakers celebrate their Springfield Camping League Cup success

Carrington sealed their third successive Ziggy’s Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division title with a 5-4 win away to closest challengers Hollins Holme.

The league had been all but secured before the game due to a superior goal difference but, needing just a point to make it certain, the visitors got off to the best possible start when Damian Randall raced in to the box and slid the ball into the far corner.

Jay Carney then curled home a second before Hollins pegged them back with a well worked effort from Jamie Gwilliam.

Carrington restored their two goal cushion when Randall volleyed home from just inside the box after excellent approach play and then Jordan Coduri found the net to make the score 4-1 at half-time.

Hollins started the second half well and scored an early goal through Greg Spink, but any hopes of a comeback seemed to be over when Coduri nodded in from a corner.

However, Spink’s excellent strike from just outside box gave the home side renewed belief and they began to apply some good pressure.

They did manage another one late on, Spink securing his hat-trick, but a great save from Craig Turnbull denied them a last minute equaliser.

Royd Club guaranteed their survival in Division One courtesy of a 6-2 home win over relegated Rastrick Bowling Club.

Royd needed a victory to ensure they stayed up and achieved it in style to finally finish seventh.

The game was notable for four penalties, although Royd’s Matthew Skinner insisted there was no malice from either side throughout.

Remi Allen put Royd ahead from the spot and Sam Taylor headed the second on the way to securing a hat-trick.

Rastrick pulled a goal back with the second penalty of the game, but the home side roared into a 6-1 lead with Jon Gibson adding two, including a penalty, with Taylor, also netting from 12 yards on the way to his treble.

Rastrick were well-beaten but had the final say with a tremendous free-kick from the left hand side of the box.

Ma Bakers came from a goal down against Division Two champions Brown Cow to lift the Springfield Camping League Cup courtesy of a 3-1 win at Brighouse Town’s St Giles Road ground.

Bakers, who finished third in Division Two, fully deserved their success in a fine game well-refereed by Craig Salmons.

Brown Cow produced the first real chance when, within a minute, they forced a corner which ‘keeper Peter Jennings claimed for his first touch of the match.

Bakers then went on the attack and Andy Salm fired just wide before Graham Pugh was also off-target.

Aaron Bergin, in goal for Brown Cow, made two saves from David Woffenden before, against the run of play, the champions took the lead with a flashing volley from Ash Scully.

Sam Halstead then went on a fine run and beat the goalkeeper only to see his shot hit the crossbar, then Jordan Parnell beat two defenders and cracked in an amazing shot only to see it come back off the post.

With two minutes of the first half remaining Sam Halstead’s fine run ended with him firing home to make it all-square at the break.

Both teams went on the attack at the start of the second half with Scott Carney forcing a great save from Jennings.

Bakers finally took the lead with a volley from Graham Pugh after which Brown Cow put some pressure on with Scott Carney and Scott Cartman both having shots well saved by Jennings.

Bakers were playing on the break and David Woffenden broke and beat Bergin only for the ball to be cleared off the line.

Brown Cow came back again but the Bakers defence was well-marshalled by captain Anthony McManamin and with five minutes to go Graham Pugh scored to end the game as a contest and leave his side celebrating a fine win.