Town edge hard-fought derby

Brighouse Town 2 Liversedge 0

Town were made to work hard for their Baris NCE League Premier Division win over derby rivals Liversedge - two late goals securing the points.

A downpour just before kick-off that continued throughout made conditions extremely difficult for the players, and they deteriorated to the point that the pitch was only just playable towards the end of the game.

The early exchanges saw Liversedge hitting long balls into the channels and keeping things simple at the back.

It took 17 minutes before Town tested the visitors defence with a brilliant Ryan Hall cross which was excellently cleared under pressure by James Riordan. Then a minute later, a clearance from inside the Town half was latched onto by Tom Matthews, but his early shot was just wide of the upright.

Darryl Leach’s header from a free kick was easily saved by Tom Taylor at the other end before Town carved out another good chance; Ernest Boafo’s near post shot going wide.

Sedge’s Danny Cooper was booked foul on Tom Matthews before Ryan Hall entered the book for throwing the ball away after a free kick was awarded.

Danny Naidole shot from 20 yards and Nick Jaggar did superbly well to turn a brilliant cross from Adam Jarrett away for a corner. Sedge’s best chance of the game came on 38mins when good build up involving Gibril Bojang, saw Matt Bugg’s shot from the edge of the box clip the outside of the post.

Town had a great chance to take the lead just before the break when Naidole drew a rash challenge from a Sedge defender just inside the box. Matthews stepped up to take the penalty but was thwarted by a brilliant save from Ryan Blythe.

Town went on to dominate the second half as Blythe was kept busy while the Sedge defence never really got to grips with Ben Charlesworth from the moment he entered the fray.

Almost immediately, Charlesworth flicked the ball on to release Matthews whose goal-bound shot was brilliantly blocked at the near post by Leach. Hall and Charlesworth then combined well to give Ben Thornton a good opportunity but the hard working midfielder shot wide.

The chances were coming thick and fast and the pressure finally paid off on 69 minutes when Town were awarded a penalty for a foul on Matthews inside the box.

Sedge captain Darryl Leach was sent off for his protests about the decision before Matthews buried his shot into the bottom corner to give Town the lead.

The last five minutes saw Sedge throw the ball forward and Charlesworth and Jaggar came up with two important defensive headers from a corner and a free kick respectively.

Town created two good chances on the break before the final whistle; James Hurtley and Matthews put Ryan Hall in the clear but the youngster was denied more by the muddy pitch, before Boafo spurned a chance that Hall created.

Town finally wrapped the game up in injury time, breaking following a Sedge free kick with Hurtley, Naidole and Matthews giving Boafo the chance to round Blythe and smash the ball into the empty net.