Town’s impressive run ended at Retford

Retford United 1 Brighouse Town 0

Town suffered a narrow defeat to reigning Northern Counties East League Premier Division champions Retford United to end their seven game unbeaten run.

Town had the majority of possession and played some very good football, but they struggled to penetrate a well drilled home defence superbly marshalled by centre back Paul Sanderson.

For all Town’s possession, it was Retford’s more direct approach of hitting long balls out of defence to catch the visitors on the break that saw them create the majority of the chances.

Town made a confident start with Antony Brown unlucky on a couple of occasions. However, too many attacks stalled because possession seemed to be the main aim instead of taking a chance on a forward pass. This allowed Retford to get back in numbers and prove very difficult to breakdown.

Retford’s Adam Scott saw his lob bounce to safety off the top of the crossbar, and a minute later the same player skimmed a low shot just wide of the far post. This spell of Retford pressure resulted in them taking the lead when Rob Sanderson stooped to head home Scott’s corner at the near post after 16 minutes.

Town pressed but it was Retford who created the chances. Ben Parley’s through ball released Sean Nesbitt but keeper Tom Taylor produced a good block.

Tom Matthews replaced Brown at the break, but the second half started with Retford still managing to create chances on the counter-attack.

Town had a major let-off on the hour when Hadley was clean through but Taylor spread himself well to force the striker to shoot wide.

Midway through the half Town substitute Ernest Boafa’s flick found Luke Gibson whose goalbound shot was blocked for a corner which Jaggar headed over.

Town continued to push forward but the Retford defence stood up to the pressure. In the final minutes Boafa was inches away from rescuing a point when he turned on the edge of the box but his shot was deflected inches wide.