Triangle in good shape for cup success

Actions from Feathers FC v Waiters Arms. Pictured are Cory Henderson and Ashton Richardson
Actions from Feathers FC v Waiters Arms. Pictured are Cory Henderson and Ashton Richardson

Triangle put their Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Division One struggles behind them as they booked their place in the semi-final of the Springfield Camping League Cup courtesy of a 2-0 win at Division Two side Halifax Rangers.

It soon became obvious that the team who mastered the windy conditions would claim the spoils.

Triangle had the best of the early running with Connor Sugden twice breaking clear to go one on one with Rangers keeper Josh Ward who blocked bravely both times.

Rangers then got into the game and from one of many long throws the ball was flicked on forcing Lewis Scott in Triangle’s goal to make a smart save. Triangle did get the ball in the net but referee Phil Bolton quite rightly disallowed it for offside. Rangers then attacked and from yet another long throw created a scramble which was cleared as the half time whistle went.

The second half saw Rangers again produce several long throws which eventually led to a shot fired just over.

Triangle were again denied by Ward before they finally broke the deadlock.

A Rangers long throw was cleared and the ball flicked on by Connor Sugden to send Jack Dighton clear to make it 1-0.

Rangers forced several corners but Scott claimed most of the crosses. A clearance from him sent Triangle up the pitch where Dave Benson calmly placed the ball into the corner of the net.

There was still time for a Triangle penalty which Lewis Holdsworth blasted high and wide.

Brown Cow progressed to the last four after a tense but fantastic encounter with Top Club which left assistant boss Ross Ashcroft without any fingernails.

A typical cup tie started with some strong challenges from both sides before the refereee had a word with both captains.

Cow had two goals ruled out for offside and hit the crossbar twice, before Top Club took advantage of the wind and played a defence splitting ball for Daniel McLeod to tuck past Aaron Bergin.

Cow rallied and missed some good opportunities before Brandon Wilkinson’s storming header from Ash Scully’s corner it make it 1-1 at the break.

The second half carried on where the first finished with high pace and end to end football.

Cow finally grabbed a second following some great work from Scott Carney who played a low cross for Tom Robinson to score,

Robinson turned provided for Scott Carney to score a third with a crisp finish before play manager Kyle Tyers squared for man of the match Ash Scully to smash home for 4-1.

Halifax Hammers eased through to the next round of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup with 4-3 win over Old Pond in blustery conditions.

Hammers took the lead on 20 minutes. Left back Ikhlaq Ahmed started the move from his own half and after playing a 1-2 with Terriq Pervez he struck a powerful shot into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance.

The lead only lasted five minutes as Hammers got caught with a counter attack and Joe Shaw levelled matters.

Straight from the kick off Sameer Ahmed went past three players and hit a delightful shot into the top corner to make it 2-1.

Just before the break a mistake in the Hammers defence allowed Paul Taylor to score a cracking goal from long range.

On 46 minutes Terriq Pervez raced thorough on goal for 3-2 and Hammers missed a host of chances before Perez scored.

Pond were not finished and Matthew Parker scored right on time to end a match well refereed by Steve Adams,

Waiters Arms helped their chances of a top four finish in the Premier Division with a comprehensive 7-2 victory over a battling Feathers side.

Despite no referee turning up both sides agreed to let Feathers Jordan Manning do the job which he did superbly.

Waiters were on top from the off though on a heavy pitch with midfielder James Waggett creating early chances for Lee Wood and Dave Chappell.

The next chance fell to Oliver Coates after good work from Billy Grogan and Coates rounded the stranded James Whitworth in the Feathers goal to make it 1-0.

It was soon two as Grogan slammed home after Wood’s shot was blocked on the line by Seekins. Straight from the kick off though Feathers’ Corey Henderson ran at the Waiters defence and was hacked down by captain Danny Cook and he duly despatched the penalty.

This only seemed to fire Waiters up and it was soon 3-1 with Veteran player boss Adam Fenton smashing home from the edge of the area after a nice touch from Coates.

Waiters continued to dominate proceedings after the break with Grogan neatly chipping the keeper to make it four, and Fenton also completed his brace.

Top scorer Chappell finally got his goal when played in by man of the match Waggett and Feathers Nick Caufield smashed home a decent finish past Waiters practically redundant keeper Davey Dodds.

The icing on the cake though came when the departing Waiters captain Cook, who is going to be an aid worker in Syria for 12 months, went up front and scored in the last minute with a curling effort into the top corner.

Carrington returned to league action with a 5-0 win at Oddfellows.

It had been almost two months since their last Premier Division game but they showed no signs of rustiness when they took an early lead, Robbie Graham cracking home a left footed strike from outside the area.

Both sides did their best to get the ball down and play in difficult conditions. Oddys enjoyed some good possession at times but couldn’t create any meaningful opportunities and they went further behind when Jay Carney broke through and squared for Jordan Coduri to stab the ball home.

Carrington continued on the front foot in the second half and extended their lead when Carney found himself in space and finished well.

Leon Hurles-Brook curled home a fourth before Matty Jones completed the scoring, finding the top corner with a stunning strike from distance.

Thre goals in a 15 minute spell saw Division One leaders Mount Tabor see off the threat from Queens Head.

Ian Pickard’s Queens were the better team for the first 15 minutes as they tried to take advantage of the breezy conditions.

Tabor weathered the storm and settled into their usual game.

Daniel Willars broke the deadlock after 25 minutes and he was followed by Andy Bottomley and Adam Helliwell.

Queens netted a late consolation but Tabor already had the points in the bag.

Ryburn United stormed out of the blocks in their home clash with Royd Club as they opened up an 8-1 lead at the break.

Royd Club made a game of it in the second half as they controlled proceedings and put pressure on their hosts. However, the deficit was too great to make up and Ryburn ran out comfortable winners.

Lewis Brierley netted four with Lewis ‘Bub’ Cockroft helping himself to a hat-trick.Two own goals made up the Ryburn tally.

Ryburn Valley ran out winners by a single goal in a dour, weather-spoiled game with Hen’s Face.

In the first half, Hen’s Face looked to repeat their previous victory against Valley and pushed the ball towards Jake Kennedy. However, Valley’s centre back pairing of Dayle Maguire and Josh Marsden prevented any clear cut chances. Ryburn’s counter attacks petered out due to the wind and some scrappy play.

A draw looked the most likely result but, at around the hour mark, a Ryburn counter attack from a Hen’s Face corner kick found David Carter who pushed a pass out wide to Ashley Halstead.

Halstead took the ball from left to right and pulled the ball back across the goal to find t Jonny Booth who slotted the ball into the left hand corner of the net.

Ryburn pushed forward after that and a few more chances fell to Ash Smith and Craig Davidson but neither managed to find the target.

Halifax Hammers Reserves took the goalscoring honours in Division Two with a 10-2 victory at Ovenden Phoenix.

The victory means that Hammers are now five points behind leaders Brown Cow with two games in hand

Wajid Nawaz claimed a hat-trick while Faisal Saghir and Mobeen Khan both netted twice. Further goals from Usman Moghul, Rab Nawaz and Aslam Gulab accounted for the rest.