Waiters move six points clear in Premier Division

Waiters Arms' David Chappell (left)
Waiters Arms' David Chappell (left)

Waiters Arms moved six points clear at the top of the Sunday Premier Division thanks to a hard fought 5-3 victory over a tough Hollins Holme side.

On a pitch where Waiters had lost on their 10 previous visits they made the perfect start when deadly strike pairing Billy Grogan and David Chappell combined and Grogan tapped home in the first minute.

It was soon 2-0 when Chappell rounded Holme keeper Rick Laycock to slot home and it looked like the floodgates would open.

But Hollins levelled the score before half-time, with George Bamford nodding in a Butterworth free kick and then Greg Spink volleying home after a Ryan Jeffries throw in some how made it into the box.

Waiters came out fired up for the second half and immediately took the lead when Chappell pounced on a mistake to put them 3-2 up but that was soon cancelled out when Hollins’ Chadwick notched another header.

Only two goal line clearances from Lee Albon kept Waiters in it, but they were to prove vital as Talbot picked out Chappell, who smashed home inside the six-yard box before the same player made the points safe after great work from Grogan and Wood.

Also in the Premier Division, Barge FC lost 3-2 to Feathers at Rastrick High School and sit in the last relegation place despite a recent improvement in form.

Carrington boss Dan Mullaney admitted the result was in the balance for a while after they saw off Oddfellows 5-2 in the Eddie Hebblethwaite Sunday Cup.

First Division Oddfellows found themselves 3-0 down at half-time to the cup holders, but fought back to 3-2 after the interval before Carrington moved up a gear to seal the win.

Mullaney said: “We started off well and raced into a 3-0 lead at half-time.

“We dominated the first-half and missed a few other chances.

“We were pretty comfortable but we took our foot off the gas at the start of the second-half.

“They kept going and got it back to 3-2 and that started us back into life again and we scored a couple more.

“But for a while it was in the balance.”

Carrington, who won the treble of the Eddie Hebblethwaite Cup, the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup and the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division last season, now have two weeks off and don’t play again until December 4, by which time Mullaney hopes to have more players available.

“It’s going OK,” he added about his team’s form in general. “We keep getting results, even though we’ve been hit by a few injuries.

“Hopefully by the time we’re back playing we’ll have a few players back fit and come Christmas we’ll be at full throttle.”

Hammers Reserves went top of the First Division with a hard fought 3-1 win over rivals King Cross Park.

Hammers took the lead through Awais Ashfaq from close range after good play by Awais khan and Ishtiaq Ali.

King Cross had few chances to get back level put the failed to take them.

The away side started the second-half well and were awarded with a penalty after a Hammers defender was adjudged to have fouled his opponent in the box, with Sam Dunkley scoring from the spot.

Hammers were then awarded a penalty of their own when Foysal Ahmed was ruled to have been bought down, and Ahsan Farooq regained the hosts’ lead.

King Cross pushed men forward and caused Hammers problems, but were kept out by ‘keeper Atif Hussain and some fine last minute defending.

Hammers then got the crucial third goal on the counter when Suhail bashir found space in box and hit a powerful shot to make it 3-1.

King Cross did get a second penalty but Tom Pierson’s effort was saved.

Supporters got value for money at Lane Head on Sunday as Old Pond and Halifax Rangers netted 15 goals between them in a comfortable 10-5 win for the Hove Edge side in Division One of The Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League.

It took until the 10th minute for Richard Dawson’s Pond to open the scoring, but the goals came thick and fast from then on; a fine Hayden Lewis run culminating in Glen Lee calmly lofting home.

Kristian Ellis rifled home his first for the club from distance and, not to be outdone, Rangers’ Liam Griffin also bagged from some way out to get his side back in the game.

Paul Taylor converted Jamie Horsley’s cross before scoring his second and Pond’s fourth on 21 minutes.

The home side took the game away from Rangers with four more goals in the first 10 minutes of the second period.

Taylor crafted his hat-trick goal from distance, before Barlow added a sixth for his side with an unusual looping effort.

Lewis came to the fore with two goals in three minutes, one another spectacular effort from range.

The home allowed spirited Rangers back into the match. Jack Davis twice proved expert poacher for the visitors, either side of Ellis teeing up Allert, who nodded home Pond’s ninth.

The visitors’ best player on the day, Tom Wood, then hit a good strike into the top corner, before James Forsyth lofted over Pond ‘keeper Jason Kirby to make it 9-5.

Kirby deserved credit for commitment, having driven six hours on the morning of the match from Aberdeen to replace the injured Dan Barnes in the home goal.

Barlow teed up Taylor to make it double figures for Pond late on.

Elsewhere in the First Division, Ryburn Valley beat Beehive and Crosskeys 4-0.

In Division Two, North Bridge improved on a poor showing last time out by picking up a point with a 3-3 draw against third-place Weavers in Luddenden Foot.

The Brighouse side took the lead when new signing Kyle Austin fed Andy Warnes, who struck a magnificent effort from 30 yards.

The lead was doubled before the interval as Andy Day smashed home.

Two headed goals brought Weavers level, but the visitors once more went ahead when man of the match Tom Hoodlass crossed for Day, who snapped up his second.

But defending at set pieces cost the visitors as a ball into the box was fired home to see the match drawn.

Elsewhere in Division Two, Bradshaw beat Halifax Amateurs 9-2, Fountain Head won 5-3 at Halifax Rangers Reserves and Triangle beat Ovenden Phoenix 2-0.