Waiters serve up another tasty display

Michael Martin and Tom Atkinson during the game between Old Pond and Queens Head
Michael Martin and Tom Atkinson during the game between Old Pond and Queens Head

Waiters Arms maintained their place at the top of Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Division One - and their unbeaten record - with an 8-0 demolition of a battling Triangle side.

Waiters, despite missing the usual front two of Billy Grogan and Marco Romano, still managed to create plenty of chances with Dean Fulton unable to capitalise.

He finally made amends after 20 minutes with a quickfire brace while Lee Wood, back in the team up front, scored a couple after decent work from Dean Park and the Danny Cook who then netted himself after an exquisite cross from veteran player manager Adam Fenton.

Waiters were well on top and only some good saves by the Triangle keeper kept the score respectable.

Waiters finished with a flourish with centre half Ash O’Shea running the length of the field before slotting home and then powering a header home from a pinpoint Ash Raynor corner to complete his brace.

Cook then rounded things off with an excellent team goal started from the back from the excellent James Goodwin.

Thornhill Briggs, in second place, did their goal difference the power of good with a 10-2 success over Stallions while Elland Sports Reserves collected only their second three pointer of the season with a 4-3 success over bottom side Royd Club.

Hollins Holme made it six wins out of seven after their comprehensive 8-2 success at an Acton Athletic side who had started the day on top of the table.

Holme’s greater height told as they scored two goals from headers following corners on the way to opening up a 4-1 interval lead.

Ben Clayton had headed Holme in front from an excellent Andrew Butterworth cross before Greg Spink laid his corner kicks on a plate for Andrew Smith and Joe Gibson.

Chris Garbutt prodded home at the far post to make it 4-0 before Phil Gomes pulled one back for the home side just before the break.

Holme had the best possible start to the second period when Clayton added his second and looked good for a hat-trick only for a defender to steer his goalbound shot into his own net for 6-1.

James Chadwick netted twice before Acton sub Ryan Carrey lobbed ‘keeper Steve Butterworth to complete the scoring.

Holme had the luxury of giving their substitutes a run out including Booth cricketers Rob and Richard Laycock who were making their debuts for the club.

Old Pond consolidated their mid-table position with a 4-1 win over a Queens Head side who were foirced to play striker Jimmy Wilkinson in goal after losing the services of their two regular keepers.

Pond took the lead after good work by Chris Marsh on the left presented man of the match Paul Meredith with the chance to cross and he found Michael Barlow at the back post who struck the opener.

The Hove Edge side doubled their lead before the interval with Meredith this time applying the finish from close range after one of a number of dangerous long throws from Geoff Pitcher.

Ryan Richards struck the post from range early in the second period, but it was the home side who got themselves back into the game - Carlton Balmer firing home from within the penalty area.

A calamitous own goal put Pond back into the ascendancy as Chris Payne chased down a Bob Priestley through ball forcing Lee Brear to loft the ball over his own keeper.

A couple of penalty incidents dominated the close of the match, both awarded to Pond. First Richards was tripped but Michael Martin tamely dribbled his effort from the spot wide, but after Meredith was blatantly shoved by Simon Coffey, Payne assumed the penalty duties and settled the victory.

In the top flight, Lee Mount were made to work hard before securing a 5-3 win over lowly Sun Inn while third-placed FC Champs only just got the better of The Vine, emerging 4-3 winners.

Engineers took their time before moving through the gears and inflicting a 6-1 defeat on FC Royal of Pellon to book their place in the second round of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup.

Royal could only field the bare minumum yet gave a fine account of themselves in a tight opening 15 minute spell.

However, Remi Allen then netted twice to give the visitors a healthy lead before Andrew Wadsworth rocketed home a free-kick to make it 3-0 at the break.

Engineers continued to hold the upper hand and Ashton Richardson added the fourth following a corner before Lee Barber made it 5-0.

Royal continued to plug away and deservedly pulled a goal back through Stever Adder but Allen had the last word with his hat-trick goal.

Premier Division title-chasers Bowling Green had little difficulty in seeing off Division One challengers Bradshaw by 5-0 while Elland Sports also defeated lower-division opponents in Halifax Hammers by 3-1.

The other tie saw King Cross Sports need extra time before easing though 4-3 against division-lower Oddfellows.

Mount Tabor overcame their lowly league position to beat FC Shoulder of Northowram 4-2 in their delayed Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Sunday Cup clash.

Chris Woodhouse made his return for Tabor following a broken leg while Matty Mason also returned as stand-in keeper and put in a confident performance.

Tabor were the dominant side during the opening half an hour and took a deserved 2-0 lead into the interval with a goal apiece for Martin and Chris Woodhouse.

Shoulder came back strongly and despite missing a penalty they levelled through a bizarre coming together between the referee and a defending Tabor player which resulted in the ball ending up in the net. Shortly afterwards Shoulder were awarded another penalty and they made no mistake.

Tabor refused to let their heads drop and Ben Waterworth continued his good form with a headed goal to make it 3-2.

Shoulder continued to press and were very unlucky in front of goal while the Tabor centre half pairing of Scott Pickard and Luke Busfield stood firm.

It was end to end stuff with both teams having good chances. however, with around 15 minutes left, Chris Woodhouse popped up with his second to seal the result.

Elsewhere, Division Two promotion-hunters Ryburn United bowed out of the West Riding Sunday Trophy following a 4-1 home defeat by Pudsey Amateurs.

Greetland Goldstars rode their luck before running out 2-1 winners at King Cross Sports Reserves in Division Two.

Greetland opened up a 2-0 lead but then found themselves under the cosh for the rest of the game as Park hit back strongly.

The home side did not help their cause when they had a player sent off late on when pushing for an equaliser and Greetland were able to see the game out.

David Oakes had opened the scoring for Greetland, picking up a pass from Ellis Dixon before taking the ball round a defender then the ‘keeper before slotting home.

Then a long throw from David Walker was not dealt with by the Sports defence and Kyle Adamson was able to take a couple of steps before heading in.

From that moment it was all Park and they pulled a goal back before the break.

They continued to pressure the Greetland defence but could not find a way through.

Leaders Rastrick Bowling Club suffered a rare defeat, going down 4-3 at the hands of Hens Face, while Ryburn Valley hit the goal trail by smashing 10 past Halifax Rangers who mustered three in reply.

The Vine Reserves continued their climb up the table with a 3-2 success over Beehive & Crosskeys with Hebden Bridge running out 2-1 winners over King Cross Park.