Wayne bags six in big cup win

ELLAND Sports went one better than the 17-0 victory they achieved over Stubbing Wharf the previous week by banging in 18 without reply against Premier Division Bradshaw.

Hot-shot Wayne Crossley, who notched seven against Wharf, was at it again, this time bagging six in a totally one-sided contest.

David Woffenden helped himself to four while there were hat-tricks for Jacob Driver and Dean McDonald.

Danny Rhodes and Glyn Haley had to be content with one each.

Dan Taylor’s FC Bowling Green progressed through to the next round of the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup after emerging 2-1 winners in a ding-dong battle with King Cross.

Tactician Taylor’s rotation system paid dividends as Gary Ash’s well-earned rest the previous week subsequently led to a fantastic brace.

All the goals came in the first half and it was Green who took the initiative through a true poacher’s finish from Ash. Cross levelled almost immediately when a long ball found Cross’s pacey forward, who beat the offside trap and finished neatly.

Green added their second when a corner was flicked on by Gregg Porter and the ball fell to Ash who teed it up before volleying past a crowd of defenders.

Both sides attempted to improve their status in the second half with Andrew Sutcliffe back from injury and substitute Ishy Ali missing from close range. Green were sad to see the industrious Porter limp off through injury as they look to their crucial top of the table clash against Eland Sports next Sunday.

Andy Farrell earned himself the man-of-the-match accolade as his five goals helped FC Royal of Pellon overcome a talented Waiters Arms side 7-3.

The match resembled a game of ping pong rather than football at times with both sides quickly cancelling goals out.

Farrell opened the scoring after he found himself in the right place to profit when Danny Tuck’s effort had rebounded off the keeper.

Waiters responded when a along throw was headed in by Lee Wood who beat keeper Chris Moroney to the ball.

However, Farrell grabbed his second, heading in to make sure from Tuck’s goalbound lob.

Waiters levelled in the first minute of the second half when Wood capitalised with a free header but Royal edged ahead once more, Farrell setting up Curtis Cochrane.

Royal finally settled and made it 4-2 when Farrell found himself on the end of Patrick Scully’s flick and the same player made it 5-2 after good work from Cochrane and Tuck.

Paul Friend’s diving header from a Ryan Coupe drive stretched the lead further but Waiters continued to play some decent football and pulled a goal back through Oliver Coates’s volley.

However, Royal had one more goal in their locker, Farrell completing his nap hand by beating the keeper after being played in by Mikey Jordan.

The Woodhouse brothers took centre stage in Mount Tabor’s 12-2 success over Hollins Holme.

Chris continued his rich goalscoring form with five while Martin weighed in with a hat-trick.

A one-sided encounter saw substitute Craig Fee come on and bag two goals while Adam and Mathew Helliwell were also on target.