Halifax Town: Shaymen owe Ferriby one

TOWN will be looking to put the record straight when they travel to North Ferriby United on Saturday.

The Humbersiders became the first visiting side to win a league game at the Shay since Neil Aspin arrived as manager in the summer of 2009 when they recorded a 2-0 victory in November.

And defender Aaron Hardy believes that defeat will act as all the motivation the top of the table Shaymen need as they look to move ever closer to a second successive promotion.

"You could say it is a bit of a grudge match after they turned us over at our place," said Hardy. "We will be looking to turn them over.

"But it is like any other game and we will be looking to get three points."

Town go into the clash on the back of five wins in the last six league games, the latest a hard-fought 3-1 success at derby rivals Bradford Park Avenue on Monday.

"The two fixtures are big away games," said Hardy. "North Ferriby are a good side but we can beat anyone.

"And we know that if we play to our strengths we can get the points.

"We are in a good position, with Monday's win and other teams dropping points at the weekend.

"We just have to keep doing our thing and not worry about other teams."

Hardy was a central figure in one of the more controversial moments of the game on Monday when Avenue bagged a goal early in the second half to make it 2-1.

The referee initially awarded a penalty against the Town full back after an Aiden Savory header from a wind-affected corner had struck him on the line, but the man in the middle consulted his linesman and gave the goal.

And the general consensus was that the change of heart may have prevented Hardy from being sent off for handling the ball on the line.

"To be honest I thought it hit my chest," he said. "Then the referee told me that the goal had been given because the ball was over the line and he booked me.

"I thought it was a bit strange but in hindsight perhaps I was fortunate to stay on the pitch."