Halifax Town v Evesham: Town bounce back to win

Halifax Town 2 Evesham United 1 GOALS from Jon Shaw and Simon Heslop - the first a good header and the second a 35-yard thunderbolt - saw Town through to the first round of the FA Cup at the expense of Evesham.

But it was another frustrating evening at the Shay as Chris Wilder's side struggled to turn their undoubted superiority into more than two goals.

Click here to see a slide show from the game.

Evesham battled hard, as they had in the first game in the Midlands, and had the audacity to take a fourth minute lead through James Knott, who had missed Saturday's game because he was at a family wedding.

But their attacking threat was limited and it always felt like a game the Shaymen would win.

With Matt Doughty and Steve Torpey again linking well down the left, Town looked like they might give the crowd the goals they craved.

But they were jolted after just three-and-a-half minutes when a slip from Adam Quinn allowed Knott in on goal and he fired a shot through the legs of Adam Legzdins.

Steve Luckett headed over and Knott sent a left foot shot wide as the visitors sniffed a real upset.

But Town settled and were unlucky not to level in the 12th minute when good work from Torpey allowed Tom Kearney a shooting chance, but keeper Nathan Vaughan tipped the effort onto the bar and over.

Two minutes later the Shaymen got the breakthrough they were looking for with another good run from Torpey which ended with a cross for Shaw who headed beyond Vaughan's grasp.

Heslop's 40 yard run a couple of minutes after that ended with a shot that Vaughan managed to grasp at the second attempt.

Lewis Killeen, Doughty and Torpey combined well before Shaw narrowly failed to connect in the area and Quinn's flicked header from a Kearney free kick flew wide.

The game sprang back into life again 10 minutes before the break with a stinging drive from Greg Young that looked goalbound but which the keeper somehow managed to claw away.

And within 60 seconds Heslop was again allowed space to run into and he took full advantage, unleashing a shot that dipped and swerved beyond Vaughan's grasp.

Mark Owen's shot from the left side of the area brought out a good save from Legzdins - his only tricky moment of the evening.

But while Town continued to enjoy the bulk of possession in the second period and always appeared in control, they rarely produced the efforts on goal to back it up.

Evesham had a good little spell around the 52nd minute mark with Quinn sliding in to deny the pacy Danny Lennon a shooting opportunity when he broke on the left.

Then moments later, Owen fired over when well placed to put in a dangerous shot.

The Shaymen had chances of their own with Daryl Taylor and Kearney both having efforts blocked while Shaw could not get enough on a Torpey cross to head the ball goalwards.

Michael Branch had the chance to mark his home debut with a goal but his shot, following good work by Ryan Toulson and Taylor, lacked the power to trouble the keeper.

And Shaw missed a gilt edged opportunity to seal the game with 18 minutes remaining from a well-worked free kick.

Kearney and Doughty laid the ball off for Torpey and he crossed for Shaw who stole in behind the Evesham defence only to send his header wide.

Five minutes later Owen almost made Town pay when he went close with a left foot shot on the break.

Misplaced passes continued to blight the Shaymen in their search for a third goal, but they still managed to carve out a couple of openings.

Branch latched onto a Torpey pass but his snatch shot was saved and Shaw found Torpey in space on the left but he fired his right foot shot over the bar.

There were a couple of anxious moments late on, but a Lennon shot was blocked by Toulson and Danny Sheppel's long range effort was never going trouble Legzdins.

Star Shayman

For the second game in a row, Matt Doughty showed the kind of form that has made him a firm favourite with the Town faithful.

Always comfortable in defence, he linked superbly down the left with Steve Torpey and was involved in many of the Shaymen's best moments.

Torpey also proved to be a thorn in the side of the Evesham defence whenever he was on the ball.

His cross for Jon Shaw to bag the opener could not have been better and his delivery caused the visitors' defence problems all evening.

Shaw showed what the Shaymen had been missing during his self inflicted three match absence as he scored his eighth goal of the season in a Town shirt.

But he provides so much more than goals as he battled to win back possession in midfield as well as getting into the opposition box.

Doughty takes the three points on offer in our season-long competition with Torpey taking two and Shaw one.

Match Facts

Halifax Town: Legzdins, Heslop, Doughty, Quinn, Young, Kearney (Bailey69), Bushell (Toulson 53), Torpey, Taylor, Killeen (Branch 65), Shaw. Subs (not used): Mawson, Belle, Stamp

Booked: Bushell

Sent-off: None

Goals: Shaw 14, Heslop 35

Evesham United: Vaughan, Watson Clarke, Hayden, Hands, Luckett, Lutz, Sheppel, Hodnett (Lennon 47), Owen (Davis 79), Knott (Wood 86). Subs (not used): Knurek, Sheehan.

Booked: None

Sent-off: None

Goals: Knott 4

Attendance: 1,025

Referee: G. Sutton (Lincoln)

Player Points

Jon Shaw 16, Tom Kearney 15, Andy Campbell 13, Steve Bushell 9, Lewis Killeen 9, Anthony Griffith 8, Daryl Taylor 8, Steve Torpey 6, Matt Doughty 6, Cortez Belle 5, Danny Forrest 5, Craig Mawson 3, Jake Wright 3, Adam Quinn 2.

You Say

Very poor game good goals but bad formation too many player off form Quinn, Bushell Killeen and Taylor - Daz Brighouse

Great performance bring on burton - The Taxman

Another poor performance. Simply not good enough.Get Belle in and drop Quinn. You're on borrowed time Mr Wilder. Griffith must start on sat - Shay fan.

well played town great result-wembley here we come - Faz

what can you say about that? We got the win.That s t. Need new ideas on board and quickly. - Jra.

And Shaw missed a gilt edged opportunity to seal the game with 18 minutes remaining from a well-worked free kick.