Heath never in hunt at Settle

Heath were unable to build on their convincing derby win over Old Crossleyans, losing 39-19 away to North Ribblesdale at Settle.

Sunday, 18th October 2015, 12:59 pm
North Ribblesdale v Heath Gaz Webb and Cameron Hanson

They were never in the hunt, falling 25-0 behind after half an hour but at least managing three tries in the second half.

Dave Harrison’s men failed to come to terms with the hard-running back row forwards of Ribb or their speedy backs, who often found themselves in acres of space.

Ribb took the lead on three minutes with a penalty for a high tackle and another easy kick was missed.

Heath were struggling to come to terms with the pace of the game and after 12 minutes conceded an unconverted try.

Three minutes later, Ribb split the Heath defence open but the referee adjudged a forward pass when a try looked certain.

It was only a matter of time before Ribb tore through a defence that had gone ‘awol’ and they scored a converted try under the posts on 18 minutes.

That was quickly followed by another seven-pointer, when a winger kicked through regathered, plus a penalty.

With newcomer Josh White on for Mark Puttick, Heath set foot in the Ribb 22 for the first time and sustained pressure nearly yielded a try.

Prop Chris Piper was injured and Olly Cook took his place.

Heath were penalised at a scrum five metres from the home line and the ball was cleared. Half time arrives with Ribb in full control.

The visitors came out with all guns blazing. Ezra Hinchliffe kicked through and Callum Harriott-Brown dribbled the ball on to score an unconverted try.

Heath continued to press but could not break down the defence and play swung to the other end where Cook made two try-saving tackles but was injured.

Ribb’s No 11 completed his hat-trick and this bonus point try was converted to put Ribb 32–5 up on 57 minutes.

Piper came back on for Rondene Johnson and Gareth Webb replaced Harriott-Brown, who had been injured scoring his try. Then fly-half Sid Sales had to come off, forcing Johnson back on and a wholesale reorganisation of the team.

A series of penalties in Heath’s favour ended with Fergus Marsden’s try, converted by Hinchliffe.

Matt Baxendale then scraped in at the corner but Ribb had the last word with a converted try wide out.