Brods cut loose again

Stand off Liam Scott (left) scored a couple of tries
Stand off Liam Scott (left) scored a couple of tries

Confident Old Brodleians made it 127 points and 21 tries in two games with a 50-24 eclipse of Bridlington in their penultimate Yorkshire One contest of the season at Woodhead yesterday.

Things promise to be much tougher at title-bidding Dinnington on Saturday but the fourth-placed Brods can already feel more than happy with their much-improved efforts this season.

In cool, fairly still conditions, the Hipperholme side roared in a 31-5 interval lead against the slope with some excellent 15-man rugby.

They continued to dominate possession and territory after the break but were not as accurate in attack and Brid deserved credit for sticking to their guns, somehow managing to finish with four tries of their own.

Brods had registered a club record 77-13 league away win at stricken Acklam the previous Saturday and they continued in the same vein.

Strong runners Callum Thompson, Loma Kivalu, Sam Deacon and Ed Botha punched holes in the Brid defence and there was more superb line kicking from fullback Danny Wood.

Brods made a textbook start, receiving the kick off and returning the ball with interest. A driving maul took them to within 10 metres of the Brid line and stand off Liam Scott dummied his way over, Wood converting for a 7-0 lead after four minutes.

Thompson juggled and finally dropped the ball wide on the right and Deacon was almost through on the left as the one-way traffic continued.

A great cover tackle from Deacon snuffed out Brid’s first threat on 20 minutes but the east coast side pulled back five points two minutes later when scrum half Ollie Stevenson dived over following a ruck close to the try line.

Brods’ response was impressive - four tries in the last 15 minutes of the half.

Winger Phil Town’s long kick was followed by a fumble from the Brid fullback and Thompson’s charge paved the way for skipper Kyle Millward to touch down.

Wood converted but was unable to add the extras from wide on the left after Brods had taken a scrum against the head of half-way, Deacon had bumped off two defenders and back rower Botha had show good pace from 40 metres out.

A yellow card for a second rower left Brid even more vulnerable and Brods duly finished the half with a flourish, excellent rugby producing tries for second rower Thompson and winger Eddie Carter.

Wood added the goal to Thompson’s try and hit a post from the touchline with his other attempt to leave a 26-point chasm between the sides.

Brods dropped their intensity after the break and Brid, aided by plenty of penalties, kept the home side at bay until the 55th minute.

Carter was ruled to have lost the ball over the line but the referee was playing advantage and Brods opted for a scrum and then muscled their way over with Town getting the try. Wood added a towering conversion.

Brods were attacking the Brid line again on the hour when centre Will Davies appeared to knock down a home pass but he was allowed to pick up and run the length of the field, stand-off Taylah Muru-King converting.

Scott scored wide out on the left on 67 minutes and Tongan prop Kivalu powered over from a maul three minutes later, Wood converting the latter to bring up Brods’ half-century.

However, Millward was sin-binned six minutes from time and Brid prop Paddy Waines was rewarded for keeping going right to the end of the 80 minutes with two tries from close range, the first of them converted.