Champions suffer first home defeat

Luke Flanagan looks to get the better of a Goole opponent
Luke Flanagan looks to get the better of a Goole opponent

Old Rishworthians 9 Goole 13

Yorkshire Three champions Old Rishworthians lost their first home match of the season in windy conditions that gave way to rain.
Playing with the wind in the first half the Rishworthians ran the ball at every opportunity but in his first tackle Gerrard Rollings suffered an injury and was eventually replaced.

Jioti Bakoso, returning to the side, made a telling run and a Goole player was penalised for killing the ball. Aaron Canning kicked the goal to make it 3-0.

From the restart the home side were penalised for not releasing but the penalty attempt was missed in the strong wind.

The Goole forwards started to exert pressure and after a rolling maul a Goole player was held up over the line.

From the resulting scrum the Rishworthians forwards won the ball but were penalised and Moore kicked the goal to level. 
The Goole pack started to take control and it was no surprise when Kaywood dived over in the corner for a try which was not converted.

Rishworthians were finding the conditions difficult to run with the ball although Anthony Shoesmith and Chris Flanagan made telling breaks and the elusive Luke Flanagan ran wide on the right and was subject to a high tackle on the Goole 22. Canning slotted the penalty.

The game was becoming very scrappy and the tackling of both sides was a feature with neither side gaining any advantage.

The score was 8-6 to Goole at half-time and the second half was going to be difficult for the champions.

After 15 minutes a Goole prop was yellow carded. Canning kicked the penalty and at 9-8 skipper Gary Morris encouraged his players to continue their winning ways.

Chris Dyson made a break through the middle but was tackled and the opportunity was missed.

The lineout was not going well and Goole started to win more ball. A penalty near the home line was taken quickly and Ben Robinson was yellow carded for a professional foul.

The resulting lineout enabled Kaywood to score his second try which was not converted.

Rishworthians struggled to break down the Goole defence and Canning had to leave the field after 30 minutes with a head injury. A further yellow card did not help the home side and the conditions favoured the visitors’ pack.
It was a disappointing game, but with two matches left, one on Wednesday at home to Old Modernians and the final game away to Hessle, the champions will be looking for much better performances.