Clifton make it eight games unbeaten with crushing win

Share this article

Clifton Rangers under 15s made it eight league games without defeat, scoring 40 goals in the process, to maintain second place in Division One following their emphatic 8-2 success over Deighton.

Rangers scored after only three minutes when Oliver Eastwood’s cross was put into his own net by a Deighton defender. The visitors scored from a corner minutes later but Josh Margison then restored Rangers’s lead midway through the first half.

Matty Rowles made it 3-1 after a fine through ball from Ryan Thompson and Josh Margison’s cross was put away by Curtis Ioannou to make it 4-1 at half time.

Margison added another minutes into the second half only for Deighton to pull one back from the penalty spot. Clifton continued to go for goals with Aaron Tankard’s shot deflecting off a Deighton defender to make it 6-2.

Josh Margison’s cross from near the corner flag was met by the head of Matty Rowles for the seventh before Aaron Tankard wrapped things up.

RASTRICK Juniors were supported by Sainsburys Brighouse store in letting them hold a fundraising bag packing event to provide much needed funds for club kit and equipment in advance of next season. Players, parents and club officials were in attendance to assist in packing customers shopping between 10am and 4pm and raised a staggering £875.

Rastrick Juniors Vice Chairman Dave Evans was overwhelmed by the generosity of the Brighouse public saying: “Our team of bag packers worked tirelessly throughout the day in our first fundraising event of this kind and on behalf of the club I cannot thank Sainsburys, their staff and customers enough for their support in helping us raise such a fantastic amount.

“Our club recently lost it’s main sponsor which has left us with an almighty task of finding additional revenue streams to continue in providing football for young people in the local community.”

If any local business would like to discuss sponsorship opportunities with Rastrick Juniors please contact the club via their website

GREETLAND Goldstars under 13s secured a quickfire double over St Columbas with an 11-3 success at Ling Bob.

Greetland made the most of the early running and took the lead when Meggat’s shot was parried by the keeper and Lennon reacted quickest to smash home the loose ball.

Greetland quickly regained possession after the restart with Allen again sending the diagonal pass left for Lennon to chase. Easily outpacing his marker the ball was pulled back to the edge of the box where Muncaster fired across the keeper for 2-0.

Muncaster then added the third with a left foot strike which dipped over the keeper before Bainbridge missed the chance to extend the advantage when he saw his penalty attempt saved.

Saints took advantage of their let-off and pulled a goal back with a well struck shot from some distance but Muncaster soon got Greetland moving again as he beat the offside trap to complete a flowing move with a low drive that squirmed under the diving keeper for his hat trick.

Saints kept playing and again worked their way down the right before being awarded a free kick for a push in the back at a throw in. Even with the wall in place another finely struck shot was hit high into the roof of the net to make it 4-2 on the stroke of half time.

Greetland were quickly in the Saints half and stretched their lead again when Bagley took a short corner to Ascroft and his curled cross to the far post was headed home by the unmarked Allen.

Another fine move brought the sixth goal for Bagley but Saints continued to play with commitment and they caught Greetland on the break down the left and the pass between defenders was driven low past the diving Brooke for 6-3.

Greetland were playing with great confidence and were soon attacking the Saints goal again. Ascroft pushed a corner short to Allen, again left unmarked on the edge of the box. Passing into the feet of Bainbridge, Allen followed up to take the return and drive the ball low into the corner 7-3 after which Bagley pounced on a loose ball in the box to make it 8-3.

Bainbridge wrong footed the keeper for the ninth following another superb flowing move across the field from defence to attack, then made it double figures for his side, tapping in from close range

Saints defended in numbers but Greetland still managed to find gaps with some quick passing. Muncaster came inside from the wing to pass to Allen who turned the ball on first time to Bagley. Stepping outside a challenge Bagley timed a ball between the defenders saw Stephenson collect the ball on the left edge of the box before curling a shot to the right of the keeper to complete the scoring.